Nebraska hires Mike Riley

RunInRed

Nebraska will be doing this coaching search thing all over again in 4-5 years. If that's who they think can get them over the hump they need to re-evaluate their criteria.

This will probably cost Shawn Eichorst his job at some point. It's now being reported that he is covering up about the Bielema offer. And that many in Corvalis are not sad to see Riley go.

"Mike Riley is a wonderfully nice person. You’ll never hear a bad thing said about his personality. That said, Nebraska fans will go crazy because his teams are very undisciplined, commit a ton of penalties and play very sloppy."

http://www.knowitallfootball.com/2014/12/05/nebraska-football-side-riley-hire/

He never went after Bielema, I can guarantee this. There is a dislike for his personality and a respect to his mentor Alvarez that he would never cross...stupid media people just assumed because the ties to UW made sense. I expect Riley will be bringing in an interesting offense and wouldn't be surprised if it is Frost and that Riley is the perfect CEO to run a program with tradition and keep the fanbase wanting more. Shawn makes calcilated moves, doesn't mean he will be right, but he has been planning since he got there on the transition.

Talk about a slap in the face for the tahd ! Several years ago, they were trying to get him ,& he wouldn't leave Oregon State. But now he couldn't pass up a chance to "coach one of the most storied programs in America" LOL, Gotta love it.

I remember that. Bama was looking for one of bear's boys and Riley was and is the last one coaching. He flat told them he was happy at OSU. Riley knew he would be given 3 or 4 years to fail at uat. Now he's 61 and has a 5 year Nebraska contract worth almost 15 million, Quite a job to go into retirement with.

Nebraska will be doing this coaching search thing all over again in 4-5 years. If that's who they think can get them over the hump they need to re-evaluate their criteria.

You're probably right.

Unfortunately, the way things are in FBS football these days, I don't think ANY school can assume their coaching situation will be stable for 4-5 years: too much money and not enough fan patience to really expect tenures like Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Bear Bryant, or Shug Jordan any more. If you're winning within 2-4 years of being hired, everyone else comes bidding for you. If you're not winning within 2-4 years, fans are demanding a change.

You're probably right.

Unfortunately, the way things are in FBS football these days, I don't think ANY school can assume their coaching situation will be stable for 4-5 years: too much money and not enough fan patience to really expect tenures like Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Bear Bryant, or Shug Jordan any more. If you're winning within 2-4 years of being hired, everyone else comes bidding for you. If you're not winning within 2-4 years, fans are demanding a change.

That's true but I don't blame it on the coaches. Fans push some petty successful coaches out and I expect UGa to be one of those schools. By today's standards Shug would have been fired half way through his career. Back in the 60s AU was shut out by Bama 4 consecutive years I think it was...a couple of them pretty bad. AU fans would never accept his record today.

Big salaries have brought VERY big expectations....

He never went after Bielema, I can guarantee this. There is a dislike for his personality and a respect to his mentor Alvarez that he would never cross...stupid media people just assumed because the ties to UW made sense. I expect Riley will be bringing in an interesting offense and wouldn't be surprised if it is Frost and that Riley is the perfect CEO to run a program with tradition and keep the fanbase wanting more. Shawn makes calcilated moves, doesn't mean he will be right, but he has been planning since he got there on the transition.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12009292/behind-scenes-quiet-search-brought-mike-riley-nebraska-cornhuskers

Archived