WeagleTheBeagle

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pat Narduzzi

Randy Shannon

Brent Venables

Barry Odom

Odom is intriguing. Clark has done a remarkable job at his last 2 stops.

Coach Klein-DC and LB coach ; Coach Jimmy McGinty- demands 100% effort ; Coach Molly McGrath-high school experience only but runs a good program ; Coach Veneer-DC and ST coach, did wonders at his last stop.

Tyson Summers from UCF he also coaches linebackers. Id hire him for linebackers. I think UCF has had Top 10 defense last 3 years. Last night they said no 4.He got wins over Baylor,Miss St,Penn St out of conf gave South Carolina and Missouri fits.

David (honk if you sacked Brodie) Gibbs

Thank you. Not sure if he's at the top of my list, but I wouldn't be mad at all. Not sure why so many Auburn fans misremember his 2005 defense as a bad one. The 2005 defense was just as good as Muschamp's on average:

Gibbs '05- 15.5 PPG, gave up 23 to Tech, 20 to LSU, 27 to UK, 30 to UGA and 24 to Wisconsin in the bowl game (which I'm not sure if he was coaching for)

Muschamp '06- 13.9 PPG, gave up 27 to Arkansas and 37 to UGA

Muschamp '07- 16.9 PPG, gave up 26 to USF, 30 to LSU and 45 to UGA

Venables, Durkin, and...

Not popular but I like Manny Diaz. Just looked at some numbers...

La Tech (from 2013 to 2014)

- Total D = #70 to #30

- Rush D = #96 to #15

- TFL = #69 to #6

- Sacks = #73 to #32

- Scoring D (in Conference) = 26.6PPG to 19.9PPG

He can definitely coach. I think he just got caught up in a bad situation at Texas. He's a master of the blitz too...makes for some exciting defenses.

Pelini and Shannon are a toss up for a decent plan B

then Aranda

fwiw, some of the guys we're apparently seriously considering...like Odom and Clark...are way, WAY not ready for the SEC West. IMHO.

Venables, Durkin, and...

Not popular but I like Manny Diaz. Just looked at some numbers...

La Tech (from 2013 to 2014)

- Total D = #70 to #30

- Rush D = #96 to #15

- TFL = #69 to #6

- Sacks = #73 to #32

- Scoring D (in Conference) = 26.6PPG to 19.9PPG

He can definitely coach. I think he just got caught up in a bad situation at Texas. He's a master of the blitz too...makes for some exciting defenses.

Agree Diaz should be a candidate if Tigers must go to Plan B.

I will take the UCF guy since im from Orlando. Like Jesse Palmer said last night their not highly rated but they're fundamently sound. Diaz got blasted by the big schools at La Tech,Texas,Miss St. He corraled Cam ,but we didnt know what to do with him till South Carolina that year.UCF won are barely lost, to big name teams unders Summers. If we bring back a former coach other than Muschamp it would be Rhoades if that how its spelled. Not his fault for Tony Franklin. Bo Pelini seems like a full of himself jerk. What is Jim Levitt doing, he did wonders with USF.

Any of these three young, up and coming FBS DCs:

D.J. Durkin - Florida

Tyson Summers - UCF

Barry Odom - Memphis

I like Durkin the best, because he has already coached and recruited in the SEC.

Summers had a bad fourth quarter last night, but UCF has had an incredible year defensively. He also has a history of coaching in Alabama and Georgia, so he probably is better suited for Auburn's primary recruiting ground.

Any of these three young, up and coming FBS DCs:

D.J. Durkin - Florida

Tyson Summers - UCF

Barry Odom - Memphis

I like Durkin the best, because he has already coached and recruited in the SEC.

Summers had a bad fourth quarter last night, but UCF has had an incredible year defensively. He also has a history of coaching in Alabama and Georgia, so he probably is better suited for Auburn's primary recruiting ground.

This is a thought process I haven't seen enough (and haven't expressed myself enough either). I'm a former coach, so I certainly understand the importance of scheme, teaching the players to execute, and motivating players. But, I also subscribe to the "It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmies & Joes" philosophy. It doesn't matter if a team runs a base 4-3, 3-4, or 4-2-5: If the talent isn't there, it's very difficult to be successful.There are plenty of coaches that win games largely because their team is more talented than their opponents and not because they are X's and O's wizards or master motivators.

Finding a DC that is a quality recruiter and is familiar with the areas in which the Tigers recruit is just as important (if not more) than the scheme the coach will bring in.

Archived