CFP Selection Show

around4ever

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run at LaTech, Arkansas and New Mexico to expand their TV markets and strengthen the league.

I'm betting the whole thing plays out differently if TCU and Baylor happened to be named The University of Texas and The University of Oklahoma.

They can thank Texas for being in the situation they are now; OU should have gotten out when they could.

I'm betting the whole thing plays out differently if TCU and Baylor happened to be named The University of Texas and The University of Oklahoma.

They can thank Texas for being in the situation they are now; OU should have gotten out when they could.

You mean the record revenue distributions?

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=209513755

And its not Texas, but the conference that told BYU they were very happy at 10

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/byu-wants-join-big-12-conference-but-happy-10-teams-221-million-dollars-revenue-061114

Fact guys like Fowler actually support the model that the Big 12 has:

. But if you were to ask me what the perfect system would be, I'd have 10-team conferences, with each team playing nine conference games and three games against "respected" teams. Basically, no FCS opponents.

Perhaps others should stop giving Texas so much power, like the SEC being scared of aTm playing Texas in a bowl game:

Two sources close to the situation told HornsDigest.com SEC officials have indicated to bowls with SEC and Big 12 tie-ins that the SEC won’t support a Texas vs Texas A&M postseason matchup. In short, A&M has too much to lose from a potential loss.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/college-football-playoff-rankings-alabama-sec-texas-am-bowl-game-cfb-am-111914

And Nebraska, well Nebraska grew up dominating a very weak Big 8, lets be honest about why Nebraska wanted to get away from Texas:

All games

2010/10/16 Texas 20 - Nebraska 13 W

2009/12/05 Texas 13 - Nebraska 12 W ** BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP **

2007/10/27 Texas 28 - Nebraska 25 W

2006/10/21 Texas 22 - Nebraska 20 W

2003/11/01 Texas 31 - Nebraska 7 W

2002/11/02 Texas 27 - Nebraska 24 W

1999/12/04 Texas 6 - Nebraska 22 L ** BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP **

1999/10/23 Texas 24 - Nebraska 20 W

1998/10/31 Texas 20 - Nebraska 16 W

1996/12/07 Texas 37 - Nebraska 27 W ** BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP **

Your comment kind of proves my point though. It is about the power players. TCU and Baylor were not left out cause of the the Big 12 and a championship game. They were left out cause they aren't Texas, or Oklahoma, or Ohio State. Ohio State will travel and they will bring the upper midwest TV ratings.

The damage from the Longhorn network and Texas's greed previously isn't what happened here.

Well it's nice to see that the playoff selection committee process has worked great in eliminating all the complaining about the old BCS scheme to pick the team or the championship game.

Complete agreement on the teams selected and no complaints from those not chosen. I mean could you imagine all the crying if we had the old BCS process and FSU as the undefeated defending BCS champion did not get a chance to compete....and went to some lesser bowl game while Oregon and Bama played for the championship.

Well ....come to think of it, there is a pretty good chance that FSU will be at home watching bama and Oregon play for the championship on TV ....but at least they are getting a shot at it. And meanwhile....what of Baylor and TCU?

I agree 100%..... Name notoriety goes a long way ~ it's just the way college football works.

I agree 100%..... Name notoriety goes a long way ~ it's just the way college football works.

Could be but that's life....which is all the more reason that schools like TCU, Baylor Oky State should push to get the Big 12(10) into the same conference structure as the other Power 5 conferences.

Could be but that's life....which is all the more reason that schools like TCU, Baylor Oky State should push to get the Big 12(10) into the same conference structure as the other Power 5 conferences.

I think Art Briles is pushing just about as hard as he can - he reamed his conference commissioner.

I imagine surrounding conferences might start taking the top talent in Big12 country a little more. They can sell the idea that the Big12 is likely to be left out of playoff discussions without a conference championship game.

I imagine surrounding conferences might start taking the top talent in Big12 country a little more. They can sell the idea that the Big12 is likely to be left out of playoff discussions without a conference championship game.

Yep, it would be a great recruiting tool for Sumlin to gather up the Texas talent, and LSU & Arky too. I really hope AU has a recruiter with lots of Texas high school ties and we take advantage of it.

Congrats to Auburn...according to Footballperspective.com AU had the highest SOS this season...played 8 of the top 15 ranked teams...all of which gets us a big "attaboy".... and a trip to Tampa.

Maybe, rather than moving to the SEC-East we should be looking to move to the ACC instead. Somehow, being rated the best 4 loss team just lacks something.

Congrats to Auburn...according to Footballperspective.com AU had the highest SOS this season...played 8 of the top 15 ranked teams...all of which gets us a big "attaboy".... and a trip to Tampa.

Maybe, rather than moving to the SEC-East we should be looking to move to the ACC instead. Somehow, being rated the best 4 loss team just lacks something.

Yes a seat at the playoff table but on the flip side Ohio State is in after playing 2 top 30 teams total, but SOS doesn't appear to matter since the committee selected Ohio State (who btw has more key injuries than their QBs). I hope they get waxed by Bama and have MSST and TCU play a close game with MSST winning just to prove a point

Yes a seat at the playoff table but on the flip side Ohio State is in after playing 2 top 30 teams total, but SOS doesn't appear to matter since the committee selected Ohio State (who btw has more key injuries than their QBs). I hope they get waxed by Bama and have MSST and TCU play a close game with MSST winning just to prove a point

I have to disagree. The sooner bama is trounced and out of this thing the better. After they annihilate FSU in the semis, I hope Oregon runs OSU off the field in the final.

You mean the record revenue distributions?

http://www.big12spor...TCLID=209513755

And its not Texas, but the conference that told BYU they were very happy at 10

http://www.foxsports...-revenue-061114

Fact guys like Fowler actually support the model that the Big 12 has:

. But if you were to ask me what the perfect system would be, I'd have 10-team conferences, with each team playing nine conference games and three games against "respected" teams. Basically, no FCS opponents.

http://www.rollingst...20141113?page=3

Perhaps others should stop giving Texas so much power, like the SEC being scared of aTm playing Texas in a bowl game:

Two sources close to the situation told HornsDigest.com SEC officials have indicated to bowls with SEC and Big 12 tie-ins that the SEC won’t support a Texas vs Texas A&M postseason matchup. In short, A&M has too much to lose from a potential loss.

http://www.foxsports...e-cfb-am-111914

And Nebraska, well Nebraska grew up dominating a very weak Big 8, lets be honest about why Nebraska wanted to get away from Texas:

All games

2010/10/16 Texas 20 - Nebraska 13 W

2009/12/05 Texas 13 - Nebraska 12 W ** BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP **

2007/10/27 Texas 28 - Nebraska 25 W

2006/10/21 Texas 22 - Nebraska 20 W

2003/11/01 Texas 31 - Nebraska 7 W

2002/11/02 Texas 27 - Nebraska 24 W

1999/12/04 Texas 6 - Nebraska 22 L ** BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP **

1999/10/23 Texas 24 - Nebraska 20 W

1998/10/31 Texas 20 - Nebraska 16 W

1996/12/07 Texas 37 - Nebraska 27 W ** BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP **

Your comment kind of proves my point though. It is about the power players. TCU and Baylor were not left out cause of the the Big 12 and a championship game. They were left out cause they aren't Texas, or Oklahoma, or Ohio State. Ohio State will travel and they will bring the upper midwest TV ratings.

The damage from the Longhorn network and Texas's greed previously isn't what happened here.

THIS to a tee. ANYONE who really thinks OSU is a top 4 team because they beat an over-matched Wisconsin squad with a weak quarterback is looking through ESPN colored glasses. Several truths are evident in this scenario: 1) college football always has been and apparently still will be a beauty pageant and NOT about the truly best football team. 2) OSU is in because ESPN and the the stodgy "experts" only want their "traditional" powers because of their (faulty) premise that those teams bring the most viewers. Its really too bad. Because it means we as fans keep getting robbed of interesting and real underdog (so to speak) stories.

As soon as the matchups were announced tOSU came out as a 10 point underdog. Everyone is raving about "Cardale". All of us here KNOW, Cardale isn't gonna do to a Saban coached and prepared defense what he was able to pull off against wisconsin's secondary. I think we can all agree that 10 points is a conservative (though substantial) margin. Furthermore, Wisconsin really has poor QB play - very evident in the B1G game. Baylor and TCU have much better QB's, recievers, both have an excellent rushing game, and both (TCU in particular) have above average defenses. No WAY either of those teams comes out as 10 point 'dogs against the 'Turds. WE ALL know that.

As well, this has nothing with the Big 12 being weaker, or different, or whatever you want to claim when compared to other conferences. Not only would this NOT have happened if Texas or OU were in the #3 slot; I believe that if the team in the number 3 slot before the weekend began were a one-loss Auburn, Arizona, Minnesota, or some other "non-traditional" power out of a "p5" conference, and a Texas or Oklahoma or USC were occupying that 5 spot - and having by FAR the worst loss of the group - yet went out and won big in their last game of the season; those non-traditionals would get the SAME treatment! They would get TCU'ed right down to 5th for one of those 10 "name" brand traditionals. No two ways about it. All those crap excuses about not having a championship game, or weak out of conference are just that; "crap" (hey we all saw Oklahoma's OOC sched in 2004). So really - this all boils down to the idiots doing the polls and picking the games. UNTIL college football moves to an NFL type model where teams make the playoffs based on wins vs losses, then its all gonna be the same s**t. And to me its just that: s**t!

The committee has proven their process is a joke. Multiple things changed last minute. They knew TCU was playing Iowa State before the game was even played. The schedules were in place. They knew it was a possibility that all three teams could win out. Why did Baylor's head-to-head not count until now? Baylor had the best win of the three teams. Kansas State was ranked 9th, Wisconsin was ranked 13th. Ohio State got in because they won a conference championship game. Strength of conference should trump conference championship games. If you play in a weak conference you shouldn't get rewarded for playing an extra game. It's still a weak conference.

Baylor could have beaten the Green Bay Packers and TCU could have beaten the New England Patriots this week and it wouldn't have mattered since they don't play in a conference championship game. The committee has proven they have no consistency with their process.

What he said.

I don't know how TCU could be #3 one week & blow out an Iowa State team & fall as they did. I was saying the same thing as you. The committee knew who their opponent was when they ranked them #3.

The committee has proven their process is a joke. Multiple things changed last minute. They knew TCU was playing Iowa State before the game was even played. The schedules were in place. They knew it was a possibility that all three teams could win out. Why did Baylor's head-to-head not count until now? Baylor had the best win of the three teams. Kansas State was ranked 9th, Wisconsin was ranked 13th. Ohio State got in because they won a conference championship game. Strength of conference should trump conference championship games. If you play in a weak conference you shouldn't get rewarded for playing an extra game. It's still a weak conference.

Baylor could have beaten the Green Bay Packers and TCU could have beaten the New England Patriots this week and it wouldn't have mattered since they don't play in a conference championship game. The committee has proven they have no consistency with their process.

What he said.

I don't know how TCU could be #3 one week & blow out an Iowa State team & fall as they did. I was saying the same thing as you. The committee knew who their opponent was when they ranked them #3.

Alabama is a 9.5 pt favorite over Ohio State is there anyone here that thinks one of the 4 best teams in the country should be a 9.5 dog regardless of betting and money lines?

JMO but bama would /will be a 9+ point favorite over anyone....probably more against FSU.

I was surprised when bama was a 10 pt favorite in the IB - and I was surprised they were a 15 pt favorite in the SECCG. I know they are playing really good ball right now but it seems like OSU aren't getting any respect with the line coming out at 9.5

Archived