Spurrier: No decisions on staff 'til after the bowl game

TitanTiger

AURealist posted this in the 10 mile long Muschamp thread. I thought it deserved it's own thread so it doesn't get lost. Free content:

South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier says not to keep clicking refresh on the computer. There aren't any changes on the coaching staff expected in the immediate future.

"Not this week, no," Spurrier said, when asked if there are any announcements coming soon. "All of our coaches are under contract for this year. Unless they find another job somewhere, we’re all status quo until whatever happens, happens. When the bowl games over, we’ll see where we’re at. If we need to add or not add, we’ll do it then."

Former Florida head coach Will Muschamp has been rumored to take a position at South Carolina, potentially as early as Monday.

http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Board/44/Contents/Changes-not-expected-soon-33662357

AURealist posted this in the 10 mile long Muschamp thread. I thought it deserved it's own thread so it doesn't get lost. Free content:

South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier says not to keep clicking refresh on the computer. There aren't any changes on the coaching staff expected in the immediate future.

"Not this week, no," Spurrier said, when asked if there are any announcements coming soon. "All of our coaches are under contract for this year. Unless they find another job somewhere, we’re all status quo until whatever happens, happens. When the bowl games over, we’ll see where we’re at. If we need to add or not add, we’ll do it then."

Former Florida head coach Will Muschamp has been rumored to take a position at South Carolina, potentially as early as Monday.

http://southcarolina...d-soon-33662357

I really dont see why this provides any comfort for those emotionally invested in hiring WM. Dude's sitting on a $6 million dollar buy out. He doesn't have to agree to a new job between now and the end of the year. He can wait it out as long as he wants if he chooses.

When whoever started this rumor knocks on Spurrier's door and delivers a Western Union telegram informing the "Ball Coach" that he needs to hire CWM as his HCIW, then and only then will I consider this rumor to be the truth.

I really dont see why this provides any comfort for those emotionally invested in hiring WM. Dude's sitting on a $6 million dollar buy out. He doesn't have to agree to a new job between now and the end of the year. He can wait it out as long as he wants if he chooses.

No one said it did. But it does seem to debunk the SC Scout site insisting a deal is done.

No one said it did. But it does seem to debunk the SC Scout site insisting a deal is done.

The Scout guy is taking a risk trying to get notoriety for being the first to "break" the story, but don't forget: "I will not be the coach at Alabama". If you actually watch the interview and pay attention to Spurrier's mannerisms, he's doing a lot of fidgeting and looking away. Also; for a team with a DC still on roster, Spurrier made no attempt to make any statement about them NOT pursuing Muschamp (as some of you have wanted to use as some sort of counter-argument). They are definitely going after him, as are we. "We're all status quo until whatever happens, happens". Does that sound like a guy who's settled with Lorenzo Ward as DC?

Well thats debatable IMO. Not saying a deal is or is not done but Spurrier's remarks left a lot of room to wiggle. Deals can be done without necessarily making them public information. I will agree it seems absurd to think the only reason he chose USCe over Auburn is a HCIW title. That part seems completely unbelievable IMO. I am inclined to think he'll end up where ever he wants to be for any number of reason that may not have even been discussed in this thread. Ive already stated why I dont think it'll be Auburn which is not to say I wouldn't be pleased if it is. And, I'll have no problem whatsoever admitting to my mistake if Im wrong.

The Scout guy is taking a risk trying to get notoriety for being the first to "break" the story, but don't forget: "I will not be the coach at Alabama". If you actually watch the interview and pay attention to Spurrier's mannerisms, he's doing a lot of fidgeting and looking away. Also; for a team with a DC still on roster, Spurrier made no attempt to make any statement about them NOT pursuing Muschamp (as some of you have wanted to use as some sort of counter-argument). They are definitely going after him, as are we. "We're all status quo until whatever happens, happens". Does that sound like a guy who's settled with Lorenzo Ward as DC?

I've always assumed they were in the mix for Muschamp. That's very different from "the deal was done on Thursday and will be announced Monday."

I will agree it seems absurd to think the only reason he chose USCe over Auburn is a HCIW title.

That isn't absurd at all. Auburn is a better program with better talent currently on roster and better resources/more fertile recruiting ground. It is simply a better job, if his intention is simply to find somewhere where he can be DC. He and his wife have also already been at Auburn and loved their stay, that part is factual and not assumption. The only thing USCe really has going for them in this while scenario is the ability to try and convince him that if he comes there he may be in line to take over as HC in the near future when Spurrier retires.

There were quite a few folks posting it was a done deal, Muschamp to Auburn, just having to work through some staffing issues a short 2 days ago. Im not seeing the same level of confidence now. This forums track record on picking coaches is not good regardless of the good reasons for discussing various candidates.

I will agree it seems absurd to think the only reason he chose USCe over Auburn is a HCIW title.

That isn't absurd at all. Auburn is a better program with better talent currently on roster and better resources/more fertile recruiting ground. It is simply a better job, if his intention is simply to find somewhere where he can be DC. He and his wife have also already been at Auburn and loved their stay, that part is factual and not assumption. The only thing USCe really has going for them in this while scenario is the ability to try and convince him that if he comes there he may be in line to take over as HC in the near future when Spurrier retires.

So, you're telling me USCe, in their search for a DC, is eager to offer their HC job to a guy who just got fired from a job that is infinitely easier to succeed at than USCe? That doesn't make a helluva lot of sense to me. Yeah, I know he's been to Auburn. He's been twice, which is a big reason I don't believe he'll make it thrice.

Just watched the video. I'm sure SC is interested, but I don't detect a lot of bull****ting from SOS there. Looks like the normal Spurrier to me, minus the adrenaline you normally get in the post-game presser. He just doesn't strike me as a guy that would say "I don't see where we've offered him anything" and saying they'll look after the bowl game to see if they need to make any changes if in reality they've got some HCIW type deal cooking with him they're on the verge of announcing.

So, you're telling me USCe, in their search for a DC, is eager to offer their HC job to a guy who just got fired from a job that is infinitely easier to succeed at than USCe? That doesn't make a helluva lot of sense to me. Yeah, I know he's been to Auburn. He's been twice, which is a big reason I don't believe he'll make it thrice.

Maybe, just maybe the head ball coach has an offer on the table.

Maybe, just maybe the head ball coach has an offer on the table.

Oh yeah, I think most people have, at least, come to grips with that possibility. Two days ago, it was done deal to Auburn. These things change up quickly.

For instance, here's a presser earlier in the week prior to the Clemson game:

He fidgets a lot in general. Clears his voice. Doesn't look at the person asking the question a lot. Looks down or just sort of stares forward. Just seems like his interview style.

Like I say, I imagine they are interested in having him as a DC. I imagine there's some who aren't so sure about the HCIW thing given his HC performance at Florida but others feel it's the only chip they have that might put them in front of Auburn or A&M. But I don't think they have an agreement in principle or will be announcing anything anytime soon.

So, you're telling me USCe, in their search for a DC, is eager to offer their HC job to a guy who just got fired from a job that is infinitely easier to succeed at than USCe? That doesn't make a helluva lot of sense to me.

It doesn't have to "make sense". Their current HC just went out and stated that he's coaching 2 or 3 more years, and it is freaking out recruits because who in their right mind wants to go to a school where the HC just said he may retire before the kid's eligibility is even up? Their administration is likely a bit spooked and may see this as a way to calm nerves by at least being able to say: "Hey look, this is your guy in case Spurrier does actually leave while you're here." That was the biggest reason why Texas gave him the title in the first place: because it was an easy way to calm the recruiting pitfall that was bound to happen with the constant Mack Brown retirement talk, because if you already have a replacement in place it sends out a sense of stability. As far as his failures at Florida, they may be willing to take a risk on Muschamp fixing the mistakes that cursed him there. Don't mistake the fact that this guy was one of the biggest HC'ing candidates with Texas, Auburn, and eventually Florida all willing to hire him. He is still young, he is very proven on one side of the ball, and he can still recruit. USCe isn't significant enough to pull a "home-run" hire anyways, so they may be content with rolling the dice on the light-switch turning on for Muschamp at his second go around.

Yeah, I know he's been to Auburn. He's been twice, which is a big reason I don't believe he'll make it thrice.

How so? Muschamp wants to jump back into head-coaching ASAP. If his plan is a short stay (which it is), then does it not make sense to you that he'd likely prefer to go somewhere where he's already comfortable and well versed? Him and his wife like Auburn a lot...why go to Columbia for a few seasons to coach for a lesser team with less talent and less likelihood of major success unless they're giving you the indication that you may be their next HC if you come? I'm sorry, but your assumption doesn't make much logical sense to me.

So, you're telling me USCe, in their search for a DC, is eager to offer their HC job to a guy who just got fired from a job that is infinitely easier to succeed at than USCe? That doesn't make a helluva lot of sense to me.

It doesn't have to "make sense". Their current HC just went out and stated that he's coaching 2 or 3 more years, and it is freaking out recruits because who in their right mind wants to go to a school where the HC just said he may retire before the kid's eligibility is even up? Their administration is likely a bit spooked and may see this as a way to calm nerves by at least being able to say: "Hey look, this is your guy in case Spurrier does actually leave while you're here." That was the biggest reason why Texas gave him the title in the first place: because it was an easy way to calm the recruiting pitfall that was bound to happen with the constant Mack Brown retirement talk, because if you already have a replacement in place it sends out a sense of stability. As far as his failures at Florida, they may be willing to take a risk on Muschamp fixing the mistakes that cursed him there. Don't mistake the fact that this guy was one of the biggest HC'ing candidates with Texas, Auburn, and eventually Florida all willing to hire him. He is still young, he is very proven on one side of the ball, and he can still recruit. USCe isn't significant enough to pull a "home-run" hire anyways, so they may be content with rolling the dice on the light-switch turning on for Muschamp at his second go around.

Yeah, I know he's been to Auburn. He's been twice, which is a big reason I don't believe he'll make it thrice.

How so? Muschamp wants to jump back into head-coaching ASAP. If his plan is a short stay (which it is), then does it not make sense to you that he'd likely prefer to go somewhere where he's already comfortable and well versed? Him and his wife like Auburn a lot...why go to Columbia for a few seasons to coach for a lesser team with less talent and less likelihood of major success unless they're giving you the indication that you may be their next HC if you come? I'm sorry, but your assumption doesn't make much logical sense to me.

If the situation was as linear as you've presented it, you could be onto something. I dont think it is. How do you know what Muschamp wants to do ASAP? That is an assumption unless, of course, he told you that. Did he? To me, giving Muschamp an indication he may be the next HC doesn't amount to a row of pins. He'll end up where he wants to be and it could be for a reason you haven't even considered. Maybe he and Spurrier have a relationship. Maybe he wants to work with Spurrier. Im not saying either are true but they could be. There is simply no way to analyze another person's decision as easily as you've attempted to do.

Watch what Spurrier says:

Going by that alone, one would have to admit there doesn't appear to be a deal in place at the time of the presser. Time is definitely on his side though - he has a full staff and WM can wait as long as he wants before deciding to go back to work. If WM decides he wants to wait a while, I'd guess Gus would have to move on because the dynamic is entirely different for Auburn, not having a DC and recruiting and needing badly to salvage his defensive commitments.

Watch what Spurrier says:

Going by that alone, one would have to admit there doesn't appear to be a deal in place at the time of the presser. Time is definitely on his side though - he has a full staff and WM can wait as long as he wants before deciding to go back to work. If WM decides he wants to wait a while, I'd guess Gus would have to move on because the dynamic is entirely different for Auburn, not having a DC and recruiting and needing badly to salvage his defensive commitments.

Funny you should mention the recruiting. The Cocks are freaking about the HBC's verbiage change from "4-5 yrs" to "2-3 yrs" of coaching left. They think their current coaching staff is having to do damage control to keep recruits who've already committed from jumping ship because he's basically told them he's retiring before their senior year. Paranoia is running thick in Cola.

"Paranoia is running thick in Cola."

I can definitely see that but I have to tell you, aside from that, I dont how happy I'd be about having my next HC already locked in either especially if he just got fired from a program that is considered a much MUCH easier place to succeed than Columbia will EVER be.

Guys......Go to Channel 4 news in Greenville, SC and find Brad Fralick. Email him and ask him if USC is going to hire CWM and see an emphatic "NO" on this. THink about it????? Even if this was on the USC coaching hire menu, with all of the hoopla that has been created, there is no way this would happen now. This hurts recruiting in a bad way for them.

Maybe all this has to do with us maybe zeroing in on some of USCs to recruits.

Guys......Go to Channel 4 news in Greenville, SC and find Brad Fralick. Email him and ask him if USC is going to hire CWM and see an emphatic "NO" on this. THink about it????? Even if this was on the USC coaching hire menu, with all of the hoopla that has been created, there is no way this would happen now. This hurts recruiting in a bad way for them.

Maybe all this has to do with us maybe zeroing in on some of USCs to recruits.

Nobody here is really worried, Doc. USCe fans are worried. And funny. They're beginning to give up on the CWM hire and wondering if there is a Plan B. The latest object of obsession? Plan B might be the rehiring of CEJ. ;D

Fralick related to Muschamp or something?

Archived