The math for cutting UAB football doesn't add up

MDM4AU

Well the writer evidently doesn't know the real reason this all went down and who was the driving force behind it.

He mentions the politics of uat, but does name names.

UAB has boosters that were never approached about making donations to keep the program running. Watts claims they were asked. Someone is lying.

Watts must really wants to be the president of UAB, but he's just the administrator of UAT's Birmingham annex campus.

Well the writer evidently doesn't know the real reason this all went down and who was the driving force behind it.

He mentions the politics of uat, but does name names.

UAB has boosters that were never approached about making donations to keep the program running. Watts claims they were asked. Someone is lying.

Watts must really wants to be the president of UAB, but he's just the administrator of UAT's Birmingham annex campus.

Even the Mayor of Birmingham said they were never approached about the possibility of UAB football being cut. He said they would have tried to work with UAB to keep the team. This whole situation smells of uat and the bot (neither deserve upper case letters). UAB football never had a chance.

Sad thing is this will never be investigated by the state due to all the dirty politicians.

I bet in five years UAB is going to look back and see how much money they lost without football.

Sad thing is this will never be investigated by the state due to all the dirty politicians.

I bet in five years UAB is going to look back and see how much money they lost without football.

I guess this will provide a good MBA case study about whether dropping Div 1 football reduces alumni participation and donations...and if it affects student interest in the school. Certainly not likely to affect the med school...and maybe that is all that matters to the BOT.

If they never "made" money in the 20+ yrs that they've had a football program, then how can they lose money by not having football? :dunno:

This is all so confusing to me - I've tried to care about it but I just can't. I feel compassion for the players but they can still get a quality education - I feel compassion for the coaches but they still get their contracts paid in full - I feel compassion for the band members and cheerleaders but they can still play and cheer for the basketball team..........

I guess this will provide a good MBA case study about whether dropping Div 1 football reduces alumni participation and donations...and if it affects student interest in the school. Certainly not likely to affect the med school...and maybe that is all that matters to the BOT.

No problem on the med school, uat claims it too. medical school graduates get two diplomas, one from UAB and one from uat.

Schools like U of South Alabama, Ga State and Charlotte among others, have added Div 1 football in recent years because they think it helps the overall attractiveness of the school, provides a rallying point for alums and gives students what might be considered a "complete college experience" like students at Auburn or Bama get.

And while the football program taken alone, might lose money, football does bring in quite a bit of cash that is used to help pay for the school's overall athletic program. I guess one would have to look at the overall financial picture to know if UAB will actually save any money...but that's open to question.

On the other hand, if a school like UAB drops football but keeps baseball, basketball and a bunch of non-revenue sports for men and women, the money would have to come from somewhere to pay the expenses. So while football may lose money, someone has to take a look at the cash flow to see whether the school "saves money" by shutting down football.

BUT...if the school closes down football and its 85 schollys it could drop a bunch of non-revenue women's sports with equivalent numbers of scholarship participants and still comply with Title IX. Now that would generate real savings.

Whatever scholarship sports are retained at UAB will have to be subsidized in some way..unless the eventual plan is to cut them all back to Div II or Div III staus. So is that were UAB is heading?

SawC4AU, thanks for sharing my blog post!

Thank you for the good read! As stated, saw it first when James Spann shared, he is truelly on UAB's side in this.

Two of their wr are visiting AU possibly this weekend

I think if we didn't want the receivers when we had nearly no one in 2011-2012, we probably don't need to waste a scholly now

Well, they did pretty good in burning moo states corners when they played. If they can get separation from sec corners on a regular basis, u got my attention

Archived