Cam Newton involved in car accident

TitanTiger

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure he'd be saying he's lucky to be alive and that he must be on " someone's " fantasy league , upstairs, if he also has weed in the vehicle.

Looking at the truck, it looks like ram truck?

Being raised up off the ground like that may look cool, but the center of gravity is high and makes roll over easier.

My first thought as well. The only thing worse is a jacked up vehicle with a short wheelbase, like a Jeep. This is one reason that SUV's are not nearly as safe as people assume.

You are kind of right and kind of wrong. I own a company that builds off-road trailers for personal and commercial use. The problem (more often than not) is not the vehicle but the driver who drives a high center of gravity machine that has completely different lateral load characteristics, like a car. I love Jeeps and my CJ5 has extensive mods but I shudder when I see parents put an young driver in a jeep or any other lifted, high roll-center vehicle. You will never catch me above 45 in my jeep and I am thinking way ahead on the highway until I get to the trail. Not really arguing with you but SUV's are much safer in many situations and less safe in others. Mostly depends on the accident.

I was assuming high speed highway use. I agree with you if the driver understands that and avoids such use or at least allows for it like you do.

For example, one of the more typical SUV accidents is rolling over after an over-correction. Lots of people buy these sort of vehicles - that are high specifically for off-road use - and never take them off road. And that sense of height gives them a false sense of safety. (It's the reptilian part of their brain which says bigger - or higher - is safer.)

And you are right about the teenager in the Jeeps. Half the time they don't even bother with their seatbelts. But then, I see full grown adults on Harley's all the time that don't wear helmets.

You are right on the over correction. I've got a friend who bought a CJ7 for his 16 year old daughter. I talked him out of giving it to her and he kept it for his own use. Two months later he swerved left, over-corrected right, laid it on its side and has dealt with a crushed shoulder ever since. I know we are hell and high water away from football here but this is a subject close to my heart. I am amazed with people who do not train themselves to drive, and worse do not train their kids. They buy a 16 year old a $25,000 car but will not spend a couple of grand for a good driving school.

But the way I'm afraid you are wrong again. You said lots don't take their vehicle off road. That number is way too low. I'd say most (over 95%) - not lots. It amazes me how many modified vehicles I see with none of the obvious marks left on any off-road vehicle. You nailed the reptilian brain part though.

Being raised up off the ground like that may look cool, but the center of gravity is high and makes roll over easier.

My first thought as well. The only thing worse is a jacked up vehicle with a short wheelbase, like a Jeep. This is one reason that SUV's are not nearly as safe as people assume.

You are kind of right and kind of wrong. I own a company that builds off-road trailers for personal and commercial use. The problem (more often than not) is not the vehicle but the driver who drives a high center of gravity machine that has completely different lateral load characteristics, like a car. I love Jeeps and my CJ5 has extensive mods but I shudder when I see parents put an young driver in a jeep or any other lifted, high roll-center vehicle. You will never catch me above 45 in my jeep and I am thinking way ahead on the highway until I get to the trail. Not really arguing with you but SUV's are much safer in many situations and less safe in others. Mostly depends on the accident.

I was assuming high speed highway use. I agree with you if the driver understands that and avoids such use or at least allows for it like you do.

For example, one of the more typical SUV accidents is rolling over after an over-correction. Lots of people buy these sort of vehicles - that are high specifically for off-road use - and never take them off road. And that sense of height gives them a false sense of safety. (It's the reptilian part of their brain which says bigger - or higher - is safer.)

And you are right about the teenager in the Jeeps. Half the time they don't even bother with their seatbelts. But then, I see full grown adults on Harley's all the time that don't wear helmets.

You are right on the over correction. I've got a friend who bought a CJ7 for his 16 year old daughter. I talked him out of giving it to her and he kept it for his own use. Two months later he swerved left, over-corrected right, laid it on its side and has dealt with a crushed shoulder ever since. I know we are hell and high water away from football here but this is a subject close to my heart. I am amazed with people who do not train themselves to drive, and worse do not train their kids. They buy a 16 year old a $25,000 car but will not spend a couple of grand for a good driving school.

But the way I'm afraid you are wrong again. You said lots don't take their vehicle off road. That number is way too low. I'd say most (over 95%) - not lots. It amazes me how many modified vehicles I see with none of the obvious marks left on any off-road vehicle. You nailed the reptilian brain part though.

I was referring more to SUV's - particularly luxury SUVs - as opposed to say, Jeeps or Land Rovers.

I was referring more to SUV's - particularly luxury SUVs - as opposed to say, Jeeps or Land Rovers.

ing

I get what you are say I was just being an ass. But I'm talking about the guy who buys a Rubicon, lifts if, puts 35 inch tires and a $2000 winch system and won't drive down a gravel driveway.

ing

I get what you are say I was just being an ass. But I'm talking about the guy who buys a Rubicon, lifts if, puts 35 inch tires and a $2000 winch system and won't drive down a gravel driveway.

Unless it snows. Then they go out and get stuck. :P

Archived