Rhett Lashlee a candidate for Tulsa HC

AEAugirl

I don't want to see Rhett leave just yet either, but I will be happy for him if he does. He certainly deserves it if he is selected, and I am sure coach M. will support him 100%. I said this in another thread. When other programs are coming after the AU coaches, it is a very good sign.

Best of luck to Rhett, I hope he gets what he wants.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Rhett does leave, I say we promote D. Craig and hire Kodi Burns as a WR coach.

Hire Bill Blankenship as WR coach. Worked with Gus at Tulsa and served as a high school head coach at several places in Texas, which is good for recruiting.

We would need a big time recruiter to take over the WR's

trooper?

I would not be so sure to write off Houston Nutt. He has had some excellent success at UArk and Ole Miss. He in my opinion,is the best candidate for this job. I am not in any way selling RL short. He will be a good HC one day. He is still in the learning stage, and a few more seasons under Gus, will only make him a better coach down the road.

I would not be so sure to write off Houston Nutt. He has had some excellent success at UArk and Ole Miss. He in my opinion,is the best candidate for this job. I am not in any way selling RL short. He will be a good HC one day. He is still in the learning stage, and a few more seasons under Gus, will only make him a better coach down the road.

In his last 16 SEC games he was 1-15. But if they want an experienced HC, he's their guy. If they want to roll the dice and hope for great upside, RL.

Houston Nutt is a retread and is mostly in the mix because he volunteered interest. The other guy is a defensive coach. They were most successful when running the hurry up style under Gus and Chad Morris. That has fallen off so it's not unreasonable to infer they'd like to get back to that formula.

I think Rhett is probably ready for a Tulsa-level job, but I selfishly hope he'll stick around another year or two.

So it's very well possible we might not have an OC or DC going into the bowl game? Interesting.

I think we're covered on offense.

By all means. Lashlee was just an extension of Malzahn like Spurrier and Spurrier Jr. But it's pretty tough to act like missing two of the three biggest positions on the field is just another part of the game.

Then again, Lashlee probably won't even leave

You'd have to be an idiot to hire Nutt. He lost all credibilty with the shitshow he created at Ole Miss. Rhett would be a great guy for the job. Learning under Gus for as long as he has would give him the experience required to have a decent time at Tulsa. Too many cons for Nutt and a lot of pros with Rhett.

After how intensely my daughter says he reacted to every touchdown Kerryon made in the Super 7 last week, better cover the recruits if he leaves. Wish we could wait to get a DC in place before anyone else announces they are leaving. I wish him all the best, he is well deserving, heck maybe I just can't handle too much too soon.

Call me crazy, but I don't think he's ready yet. He's been the OC at a major D-1 school for 2 years and who knows how much control he really has of the offense. I think he really knows his stuff and has learned a lot from Gus, but he needs more time. Has he developed enough connections? Does he understand the ins and outs of being a D1 head coach. Brian Stewart, the Maryland DC, has a strong resume. But, as mentioned, Tulsa is one of those teams that we normally think of as being offensively inclined.

I think Rhett stays for a couple more years and sets himself up for a better opportunity. It would be great for him to interview for a job like this for the interview experience, etc., but he needs a little more seasoning before I'm ready to think he can go to a D1 school and turn it around.

I have no idea if he's "ready" or not. I do know that turnover is a negative in a football program and the defense is going through upheaval right now so I hope Lashlee stays on here another year or two.

Houston Nutt is a retread and is mostly in the mix because he volunteered interest. The other guy is a defensive coach. They were most successful when running the hurry up style under Gus and Chad Morris. That has fallen off so it's not unreasonable to infer they'd like to get back to that formula.

I think Rhett is probably ready for a Tulsa-level job, but I selfishly hope he'll stick around another year or two.

Exactly. I don't think many other FBS schools would look at RL as an HC this soon.

It makes sense that Tulsa would want to return to high flying offense but Im pretty sure this past season, if nothing else, proves a minimally effective defense must also be fielded to be successful. Lashlee would provide a shot in the arm to their offense but the kid is 30 years old. He wont be 31 til June. Age is not of any real consequence but it does make one wonder how many contacts has Rhett has established in his very brief career that could provide leadership and expertise for the rest of the team.

He may have many I have no idea but, at a glance, I'd say this decision could impact the rest of his career. If he takes it, I hope he truly is ready to provide the full spectrum of HC responsibilities because, if he's not and it doesn't work out well for him, he has a lot of years left in his very young coaching career to regret prematurely making that leap.

They were at their recent best with gus' s offense. Rhett would be appealing for that reason.

Nutt, meh. He had a couple good years at a good program, but his 10 years at arky were mostly forgettable. Nutt's best season at arky was with Gus's o, more reason why rhett might be taken over him. Plus nutt left ole miss in shambles his last 2 years and would leave tulsa as soon as he had success. Rhett would stay there longer to prove himself before a big job same.

Seems like a great opportunity for RL to cut his teeth as a HC. I would prefer for him to go get is OJT now just in case he is needed back at AU in about 3 to 5 years.

I don't want to see Rhett leave just yet either, but I will be happy for him if he does. He certainly deserves it if he is selected, and I am sure coach M. will support him 100%. I said this in another thread. When other programs are coming after the AU coaches, it is a very good sign.

Best of luck to Rhett, I hope he gets what he wants.

This^^^

If he's paid attention (like I think he has), he will be an awesome coach. Dude has got it all, right down to the family...

water.jpg

If he takes it, good for him. The day is coming soon enough anyway. DC is a man we could put faith in to take over his responsibilities. We'd still need someone to take over either the wr or the qb slot.

You could easily move Casey Woods into the WR spot. He coached WRs for Malzahn at Arkansas State and took an off-field position (Director of Player Personnel) to come with Gus back to Auburn. He's going to be back on-field as some point.

I know Rhett personally and he's my neighbor. He would be a great hire for Tulsa. That said, I think this is more of a test-the-waters for the future than a decision he is making this year. I don't know that, just my hunch.

But we are lucky to have him as long as we can keep him!

Archived