Out of Conference Schedule

Randman5000

We all know why Baylor was left out of the playoff this year. Just noticed that we scheduled Mercer for future out of conference games. 2017.

Let's discuss.

Auburn's non-conference opponents

Sept. 5: Louisville (Georgia Dome, Atlanta)

Sept. 12: Jacksonville State

Oct. 3: San Jose State

Nov. 21: Idaho

Sept. 3: Clemson

Sept. 10: Arkansas State

Oct. 1: Louisiana Monroe

Nov. 19: Alabama A&M

Sept. 9: at Clemson

Mercer

TBA

Sept. 21: Cal

Sept. 19: at Cal

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/12/auburn_schedules_non-conferenc.html

Doubt we'll have a problem in the SEC with needing OOC boosts, but Mercer? Do they even play football?

I'd like 2 big OOC games a year- 1 kick off and 1 mid year. That's just me though.

We all know why Baylor was left out of the playoff this year. Just noticed that we scheduled Mercer for future out of conference games. 2017.

Let's discuss.

Auburn's non-conference opponents

Sept. 5: Louisville (Georgia Dome, Atlanta)

Sept. 12: Jacksonville State

Oct. 3: San Jose State

Nov. 21: Idaho

Sept. 3: Clemson

Sept. 10: Arkansas State

Oct. 1: Louisiana Monroe

Nov. 19: Alabama A&M

Sept. 9: at Clemson

Mercer

TBA

Sept. 21: Cal

Sept. 19: at Cal

http://www.al.com/au...-conferenc.html

I'm pretty sure that it had a lot more to do with the fact that the Big 12 lacks a championship game, than it did anything else. The 11-1 teams will likely always get left out in favor of the 12-1 teams. An undefeated or one loss SEC Champion Auburn team can almost always count on a seat at the table, regardless of out of conference schedule.

We just need to make sure our OOC pairing aren't crazy bad that's all. Sprinkle in a top tier team now and then and all will be fine. Not a lot of perks having to play in the toughest division in college football but strength of schedule is never a problem.

We just need to make sure our OOC pairing aren't crazy bad that's all. Sprinkle in a top tier team now and then and all will be fine. Not a lot of perks having to play in the toughest division in college football but strength of schedule is never a problem.

I think the understood rule is to have at least 1 power 5 matchup.

I think one power 5 with 3 mid tier/lower tier is fine. We can't always play a big game every week. The SEC West is tough enough.

I think the understood rule is to have at least 1 power 5 matchup.

Yeah, I just meant the occasional top tier power 5 team instead of the weakest available.

Assuming Clemson keeps doing what they are doing and are a top 15 program, that's a good OOC pairing. Besides, we owe them (especially Dabo) one.

Assuming Clemson keeps doing what they are doing and are a top 15 program, that's a good OOC pairing. Besides, we owe them (especially Dabo) oneTWO!.

:)

With regard to Auburn and schedule strength, the road to the playoff goes through Atlanta. Win the West, win in Atlanta, and Auburn gets a slot. Fail to do that, and schedule strength becomes largely irrelevant.

It would be irrelevant this year, but if a top 4 team loses to a team that has lost its playoff hope in the conference championship game I think then an "at-large" type of addition to a non-conference champion would get in, I would think.

It would be irrelevant this year, but if a top 4 team loses to a team that has lost its playoff hope in the conference championship game I think then an "at-large" type of addition to a non-conference champion would get in, I would think.

That's when a team like TCU or Baylor (conference champions) would be escalated in favor of a second team from another conference. There are scenarios where a conference like the SEC could reasonably expect a second team one loss team, but it requires things like the PAC 12 and/or Big 10 and ACC having a champion with two or more losses. From the Selection Committee's own protocol:

Establish a committee that will be instructed to place an emphasis on winning conference championships, strength of schedule and head-to-head competition when comparing teams with similar records and pedigree (treat final determination like a tie-breaker; apply specific guidelines).

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee-protocol

They have already shown us that a one loss champion of a conference with a championship game will jump two one loss teams from a conference without one. In other words, the odds are stacked against a conference getting a second team unless they are left with no other valid or reasonable choice.

All top 10 opponents is their first choice. Any other is, at best, settling for second best. If Auburn cannot pull in all top ten opponents, it is a failure. That's how I see it.

It was only 10 years ago that playing teams like Mercer cost a shot at the championship.

We only played 11 games then. The 12 game schedule with only one week off is rough. We use those Mercer type games instead of the missing off week.

Archived