The "HUNH Will Hurt Muschamp" Fallacy

PatBoCamRob

Looking on message boards, you still see comments here and there about Malzahn's offense affecting Muschamp's defense.

People who claim this are flat out wrong. All you have to look at are times of possession. Auburn won time of possession in all but 2 games: MS St and UGA. (We all saw what happened in those games. It wasn't due to the HUNH.)

Ability to win TOP probably has a lot to do with the "when" and "how" of tempo. Going uptempo after a big play... Running first, etc.

Personally, I think CGM took Oregon's "blur" and improved on it to the benefit of his defense.

Looking on message boards, you still see comments here and there about Malzahn's offense affecting Muschamp's defense.

People who claim this are flat out wrong. All you have to look at are times of possession. Auburn won time of possession in all but 2 games: MS St and UGA. (We all saw what happened in those games. It wasn't due to the HUNH.)

Ability to win TOP probably has a lot to do with the "when" and "how" of tempo. Going uptempo after a big play... Running first, etc.

Personally, I think CGM took Oregon's "blur" and improved on it to the benefit of his defense.

He implemented the power run game off his HUNH which allows him to have a variable tempo. Maybe it should be called the VTHUNH?

It wasn't a factor in 2010 or 2013. The defense wasn't hurt by the offensive tempo. You need good depth especially along the DL but in reality you need that regardless of what your offensive scheme is.

You need a defense that can get 3 and outs and off the field. If you do that doesn't matter how fast the O goes. I might add great depth at dline

Actually that's not true.

Time of Possession

Auburn Opponent

Arkansas 32:43 27:17

San Jose State 25:11 34.49

Kansas State 31:00 29:00

Louisiana Tech 28:17 31:43

LSU 32:31 27:29

Miss. State 28:58 31:02

South Carolina 26:29 33:31

Ole Miss 32:11 27:49

Texas A&M 32:40 27:20

Georgia 27:38 32:22

Samford 29:57 30:03

Alabama 33:54 26:06

We can throw out Samford since its only 3 seconds but it was still more than 2 games.

We ran the hurry up less this year it seemed than in previous years. If I remember right Stat pointed out how little success we were having on 1st down compared to last year. That is the key to the HUNH. Turnovers hurt us this year. I'd be curious to know what the TOP was in 2013.

Actually that's not true.

Time of Possession

Auburn Opponent

Arkansas 32:43 27:17

San Jose State 25:11 34.49

Kansas State 31:00 29:00

Louisiana Tech 28:17 31:43

LSU 32:31 27:29

Miss. State 28:58 31:02

South Carolina 26:29 33:31

Ole Miss 32:11 27:49

Texas A&M 32:40 27:20

Georgia 27:38 32:22

Samford 29:57 30:03

Alabama 33:54 26:06

We can throw out Samford since its only 3 seconds but it was still more than 2 games.

I used ESPN.com.. And, you are correct. Because, for example, they have AU winning TOP in SC game. But, the total time they report equals more than 60 minutes. So, that can't be right. http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=400548356

Of course, we can look at the SC game as an example why Muschamp is the right fit for AU. SC going 5/6 on 4th down conversions. It wasn't Auburn's O getting off the field too quickly. it was Auburn's D failing to get off the field.

I think the fallacy is the term "Auburn fast". To me, we really didn't appear fast at all this year. We run up to the ball quick but then look to the sideline, motion, etc and by the time the ball is snapped its pretty much the same as everyone else.

Ole Miss, Clemson, ... heck, even Alabama ran some up-tempo stuff this year. It works, and it did not destroy the defenses for any of these teams. Seems mostly like a case of people's initial assumption (that it "must" be bad for your defense) getting the better of the established facts.

Ole Miss, Clemson, ... heck, even Alabama ran some up-tempo stuff this year. It works, and it did not destroy the defenses for any of these teams. Seems mostly like a case of people's initial assumption (that it "must" be bad for your defense) getting the better of the established facts.

Exactly. All one needs do is look at Ole Miss to know you can have a hurry up offense while having a top notch defense.

However, there is something you guys are overlooking. We dont need to have a Baltimore Ravens defense. If we field a top 30 defense, we will be unstoppable. Getting CWM is a HUGE coup for CGM. Its not even gonna be fair...

#GUSCHAMP2015

Muschamp pointed out the fact that AU averaged 72 plays per game. Florida averaged 70. Facts are hard to argue about...

Muschamp pointed out the fact that AU averaged 72 plays per game. Florida averaged 70. Facts are hard to argue about...

You know the old quote that says something like you're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Here is a even better way to look at it:

Florida had the worst O in the SEC BUT had the best D in the SEC, a really bad offense is a whole lot worse on your D and it did not seem to effect his defense except for a few games. When you constantly go three and out that is when your defense has problems and Florida had a ton of three and outs.

I'm in the camp that believes it is difficult to have great defense with a HUNH offense. Not impossible, but very difficult. If anyone can pull it off, it's Muschamp. We need some better Jimmy's and Joe's in certain places on D as well.

I'm in the camp that believes it is difficult to have great defense with a HUNH offense. Not impossible, but very difficult. If anyone can pull it off, it's Muschamp. We need some better Jimmy's and Joe's in certain places on D as well.

I think that's because the coaches who typically run the HUNH place more emphasis on finesse and passing the ball. Gus's offense is much more power running and physical. So long as the defense is able to have a mindset of physical dominance and the offense is able to maintain its identity they can work together.

I think that's because the coaches who typically run the HUNH place more emphasis on finesse and passing the ball. Gus's offense is much more power running and physical. So long as the defense is able to have a mindset of physical dominance and the offense is able to maintain its identity they can work together.

I will be interested to see if we do keep that mindset when we change over to more of a passing attack under JJ... However, in Gus I trust. I really dont think it will be an issue.

Florida average 70 plays per game last season and Auburn averaged 72. I think it is safe to say that Florida's defense was better then Auburn's as a whole last year. I didn't realize 2 additional plays had that much of influence.

Florida average 70 plays per game last season and Auburn averaged 72. I think it is safe to say that Florida's defense was better then Auburn's as a whole last year. I didn't realize 2 additional plays had that much of influence.

Also if Muschamp had an issue with it he would not have used it as a head coach which he did

The problem is that in the past few years we've played a bend but don't break style. Our players have been taught to play soft and we break more than we bend.

Muschamp coached at Texas when MCcoy played. I believe their offense went about as fast as ours and Muschamp's defenses were pretty dang good at Texas.

I think the perception comes from the fact that most coaches who teach the HUNH don't prioritze good defense.

Archived