The "HUNH Will Hurt Muschamp" Fallacy

PatBoCamRob

I think the perception comes from the fact that most coaches who teach the HUNH don't prioritze good defense.

I see that a lot from the bammers, referring to Gus in particular. "Gus recruits for the offense or puts his best players on offense....Gus just isn't interested in defense and doesn't care about it...."

I think they're nuts. Gus strikes me as someone who prioritizes winning. Period.

I think the perception comes from the fact that most coaches who teach the HUNH don't prioritze good defense.

I see that a lot from the bammers, referring to Gus in particular. "Gus recruits for the offense or puts his best players on offense....Gus just isn't interested in defense and doesn't care about it...."

I think they're nuts. Gus strikes me as someone who prioritizes winning. Period.

He's someone consumed with winning. He blew the theory of only caring about offense right out of the water with this hire.

He's someone consumed with winning. He blew the theory of only caring about offense right out of the water with this hire.

That's one of the ironies about reading this stuff on a "Muschamp hired by AU" thread.

It's also funny to see them say Malzahn and Muschamp are going to inevitably clash from a personality standpoint. This after Saban hired Kiffen - which didn't work out so badly.

i would love to know at exactly what point in the season did Gus decide to make a change in DC. I am guessing aTm, Usce time frame.

I'm thinking more like UGA-ish. It was a problem to the fans around the time you describe but I'm sure Gus WANTED him to do better. Gus dropped the ball himself at the UGA game, and when EJ put him in the position of having to score 50+ to win the IB, that probably sealed it.

Ole Miss, Clemson, ... heck, even Alabama ran some up-tempo stuff this year. It works, and it did not destroy the defenses for any of these teams. Seems mostly like a case of people's initial assumption (that it "must" be bad for your defense) getting the better of the established facts.

Consider this...Freeze moved away from tempo bc D was good enough they didn't need to try and score every possession...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/10/with_a_strong_defense_ole_miss.html

Hugh Freeze came to the SEC in 2012 as one of the leading proponents and practitioners of no-huddle "tempo" offense. It is a great way, he has said, of leveling the playing field when you don't have the size or talent of your opponent.

But Ole Miss has recruited very well since Freeze's arrival. And now, the Rebels do have size and talent that is better than, or at least comparable to, their opponents in the SEC West.

And so, Freeze said Wednesday, his philosophy is evolving -- and it can be seen on the field this year.

"We're not as concerned about tempo in a consistent manner," Freeze said. "We still do it and we still will have spurts of it. But I kind of did a study last year and we had too many negative plays in tempo.

"Some of that has to do with the fact that I think we finally have gotten to the point where we think our defense is pretty good and we've recruited well and built this team around our defense. The last thing you need is to have a lot of quick possessions creating negative plays where you don't convert first downs. So I have changed this year and we've tried to manage the game quite a bit differently."

Ole Miss is second in the nation in scoring defense, allowing only 11 points per game. A byproduct of the change in offensive philosophy as been better ball protection by quarterback Bo Wallace. The third-year starter has thrown six interceptions to go with his 15 touchdowns this year, but none of them have come in conference play.

"With our defense playing so well this year, I've been really trying to manage the game a little differently and Bo has understood that and accepted that and he's had to make plays when he made them," Freeze said. "But I think he is definitely much more mature and understands now that we don't have to score every possession, that he can make better decisions when things are not there."

Never claimed to be a smart man...my wife will verify, but I was always of the opinion the offense was trying to score on its first play from scrimmage. Moreover, I was always of the opinion that if you elected to recive the ball on the opening kickoff that you tried to score on that as well. I guess I'm just dumb which makes me better than an Updyke scholar.

Come on guys, he's talking about the pressure to score on every possession. We AU fans said the same thing after USCe and Bama. Scoring 40 pts should be enough to win any game. He's just saying if the D is there, it takes some pressure off of the O from thinking if they don't score on a drive the game is not over (especially when you have a QB like Bo Wallace who maybteybtondontok much at times).

i would love to know at exactly what point in the season did Gus decide to make a change in DC. I am guessing aTm, Usce time frame.

Agreed! Just look at Gus's face at the press conference after the aTm game. He knew for sure then.

Agreed! Just look at Gus's face at the press conference after the aTm game. He knew for sure then.

I'm going to have to go with the 2nd or 3rd forth-down situation against USCe. Clearly CSS didn't respect his former employee. And it was working out pretty well for him.

If the offense score, then the defense holds the other team to 3 and out and the offense takes over and scores. This type of play would be loved by a defensive coach. 3 and out then score again.

If the offense score, then the defense holds the other team to 3 and out and the offense takes over and scores. This type of play would be loved by a defensive coach. 3 and out then score again.

Yup!. The defense doesn't need any rest if they're forcing 3 and outs. Jus saying

i would rather my defense have points to lean on that time ran off the clock and have to play a near perfect game to win. such as most of the tuberville era.

I'm going to have to go with the 2nd or 3rd forth-down situation against USCe. Clearly CSS didn't respect his former employee. And it was working out pretty well for him.

Agreed, but I think he had enough after the aTm game

I think most of the criticism is out of fear of Malzahn and Muschamp together. This morning on WNSP in Mobile, Ivan Maisel of ESPN was spewing the Bammer line....

Malzahn might not let him recruit the players he wants because of the focus on offense... Good Defensive players don't want to play for a HUNH team, etc....

You could hear the dread in his voice as to what his beloved "tide" will deal with when the defensive scheme and players are matched.

War Eagle!!!

One of the best things about CWM: he also knows how to stop the HUNH. Our offense and his defense will benefit from playing against each other.

I think most of the criticism is out of fear of Malzahn and Muschamp together. This morning on WNSP in Mobile, Ivan Maisel of ESPN was spewing the Bammer line....

Malzahn might not let him recruit the players he wants because of the focus on offense... Good Defensive players don't want to play for a HUNH team, etc....

You could hear the dread in his voice as to what his beloved "tide" will deal with when the defensive scheme and players are matched.

War Eagle!!!

Less, see. As a defensive prospect, I am likely to get more playing time with a good HUNH team as well as enjoy the benefits of a winning offense.

Sounds terrible. :-\

Archived