Question about Carl Lawson....

TigerfanKM

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but here goes:

My impression is that there's no such thing as a medical redshirt.

There's your regular redshirt year and then there's a medical hardship appeals process if you've already used your regular redshirt but have to sit out a year (or large majority of a year) due to injury.

But, even if you wasted a redshirt, let him play in bowl game versus not wasting redshirt and holding him out. The question still turns to if he has a great year next season, wouldn't he go to the NFL draft with either situation?

But, even if you wasted a redshirt, let him play in bowl game versus not wasting redshirt and holding him out. The question still turns to if he has a great year next season, wouldn't he go to the NFL draft with either situation?

Don't putthe cart before the horse for one meaningless game.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but here goes:

My impression is that there's no such thing as a medical redshirt.

There's your regular redshirt year and then there's a medical hardship appeals process if you've already used your regular redshirt but have to sit out a year (or large majority of a year) due to injury.

It's not a medical redshirt as such. What happens is if a player plays in less than 30% of the plays in a season or some such number then they can apply for a medical hardship from the NCAA. It's pretty much automatic but you still have to get approval from the NCAA.

I don't see him playing in the game either, but I do understand the point. But, I do think the practice will definitely help him moving into spring practice.

I really wish next season would hurry up and get here!

The few practices he will participate in before the bowl game will not be sufficient for someone that has been out all season to be worth the risk of further injury in the game that could cost him next season. He's not in game shape yet. Playing in the bowl game will do nothing for him. The defense is going to change anyway.

Really, we should all just be pleased that he sounds healthy enough to get back on the practice field in some capacity already.

I'm not saying he is going to even be healthy enough to play in the bowl game. Was just saying I don't think it would make a difference, IF he has an oustanding season next year. He's going to be playing on Sundays.

I'm not saying he is going to even be healthy enough to play in the bowl game. Was just saying I don't think it would make a difference, IF he has an oustanding season next year. He's going to be playing on Sundays.

gotcha. Giving him 3 to play 2 is not necessary. I guess it couldn't hurt. Won't cost us anything. He can practice all he wants. As long as he doesn't play then the option is there.

I don't think he will play but only because he will not be 100%. I think holding him out just for the redshirt will be a little pointless. Based on talent and skill set he will probably leave early anyways. Maybe he will be the type that stays because of who he is.

He's not going to be ready to play against Wisconsin. He hasn't had any practice since last spring. You don't get ready to play in a game in this short amount of time after being away as long as he has.

gotcha. Giving him 3 to play 2 is not necessary. I guess it couldn't hurt. Won't cost us anything. He can practice all he wants. As long as he doesn't play then the option is there.

I understand too. My point is, as good as he is and we think he will be it is still a tad presumptuous to automatically put him in the nfl so soon. he still has to prove it.

and if he re-injures his knee because he came back too soon he is lost for next season, not worth the risk.

bryanloony's assessment of Lawson's redshirt status is correct.

Letting Lawson play in a meaningless game because you are GUESSING that he'll be 100% full speed by next season and thus NFL ready would be folly beyond measure. No coach with the least bit of smarts would do that.

They can go ahead and classify this year as a redshirt. Playing in the bowl game is too much of a risk for no worthwhile reward. Let him do what he is capable of in practice. Classify him as a redshirt and then if he wants to stay for 3 years, he can. If not then that's cool too. It doesn't hurt Auburn in any manner to do that. Gives him an option. It is good for both sides.

Not worth it. Wisconsin's passing game is garbage anyways so I don't think the pass rush will be missed. Just have to stop Melvin Gordon.

Archived