AU Freshman Jakell Mitchell Shot and Killed

Maverick.AU

There isn't anything "going on" in Auburn. Tiger Lodge has a lot of residents that do not attend Auburn University, and is known as one of the cheaper complexes in Auburn, and a friend of mine is a general manager for another complex in the area (I know, I just graduated in May). It is also known to be.... how to be politically correct here.... known to house some unsavory characters not indicative of the culture at Auburn. That being said, this is not the time or place to discuss this. Absolutely a tragic event, Tiger Lodge needs to be shut down and burned to the ground. Thoughts and Prayers to the family, friends, and our Auburn family.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There isn't anything "going on" in Auburn. Tiger Lodge has a lot of residents that do not attend Auburn University, and is known as one of the cheaper complexes in Auburn, and a friend of mine is a general manager for another complex in the area (I know, I just graduated in May). It is also known to be.... how to be politically correct here.... known to house some unsavory characters not indicative of the culture at Auburn. That being said, this is not the time or place to discuss this. Absolutely a tragic event, Tiger Lodge needs to be shut down and burned to the ground. Thoughts and Prayers to the family, friends, and our Auburn family.

If that's the case, the players should have been banned from there a long time ago.

Prayers lifted for jakells family and friends and the team. I can't for the life of me understand why this place is still open. Its a magnet for garbage like this. They need to ban students and atheletes from going there and burn that place to the ground. This did not have to happen. Awful day

Sad thing to wake up to this morning. Jakell had a lot of potential and it's heartbreaking to see that someone who is my age has lost his life. I pray for his family and everyone right now in this tragedy. #31 will be watching over us in 2015. War Eagle Jakell.

Prayers for his family and friends. Such a tragedy.

Also, this happened after the Senior Banquet and graduation. A day of celebration in AU.

Jakell was a great kid. I've had the pleasure of talking to Jakell on multiple occasions and this one really hits hard. Local kid who came to AU because he loved it here. Just sickening. Godspeed for his family, his teammates, and his classmates.

Bless his family, his community, his teammates, his friends, and his coaches. May God wrap them tight, help them find peace and understanding in something so senseless. I have been through this and do not wish this on anyone, Lord please help ease their pain.

Either clean Tiger Lodge up or shut it down

Or don't allow Auburn players to go there

I think this is about more than just the players.

Either clean it up, beef up security, or shut it down. At the very least make it off limits to students.

Either clean Tiger Lodge up or shut it down

Or don't allow Auburn players to go there

This will speed up a move Athletics has been seeking over the last year. Campus administrators want more student housing so this adds to the resolve to get it done.

I don't think this has anything to do with a lack of student housing. You still can't keep the players locked on campus. If there is a party somewhere, they are going to go. I have seen someone say that Jakell didn't live at those apartments, and that there is not many AU students that do.

We need more student housing and our athletes should all be able to live in one dorm. This is where NCAA's logic of not allowing athlete only dorms is flawed. Athletics only dorms would solve this problem.

sounds like nobody policing the parties...bunch of kids and alcohol, etc....a bad mix. ....and a sad result.

We need more student housing and our athletes should all be able to live in one dorm. This is where NCAA's logic of not allowing athlete only dorms is flawed. Athletics only dorms would solve this problem.

athletes and engineers..... Problem solved

athletes and engineers..... Problem solved

Actually I lived in South Donahue last year. Never had a problem with any of the athletes more than just loud music during finals. Right now, it's 49% athletes and 51% non-athlete to comply with NCAA regulations.

It's not a problem of dorms either, its a problem of venues for entertainment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't many bars/clubs that cater to certain aspects of black culture in Auburn. Bars downtown are populated by mostly white kids, and young people are going to create venues that appeal to them. The problem with house parties is that no one regulates them, and when problems occur they are self policed, that's where violence comes into play. Instead of dealing with bouncers, or management, or police, kids are being policed by their peers, and that's just asking for it.

It's not a problem of dorms either, its a problem of venues for entertainment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't many bars/clubs that cater to certain aspects of black culture in Auburn. Bars downtown are populated by mostly white kids, and young people are going to create venues that appeal to them. The problem with house parties is that no one regulates them, and when problems occur they are self policed, that's where violence comes into play. Instead of dealing with bouncers, or management, or police, kids are being policed by their peers, and that's just asking for it.

I don't know the bar scene in Auburn any more, but unless things have drastically changed, there probably aren't many black clubs anywhere near campus/downtown. That said, even if there were, there will still be house parties. White kids have them, too. Lots of them. They're especially popular with underage kids like Jakell. I was at 2 house parties at Auburn- both attended exclusively by upper middle class white kids- where gunfire occurred (incredibly, I had left both right before it happened).

So sad and angry to hear this happened. Lots of people who covered his recruitment seem genuinely hurt by the news and saying what a great kid he was. RIP, Jakell. Damn.

I don't know the bar scene in Auburn any more, but unless things have drastically changed, there probably aren't many black clubs anywhere near campus/downtown. That said, even if there were, there will still be house parties. White kids have them, too. Lots of them. They're especially popular with underage kids like Jakell. I was at 2 house parties at Auburn- both attended exclusively by upper middle class white kids- where gunfire occurred (incredibly, I had left both right before it happened).

So sad and angry to hear this happened. Lots of people who covered his recruitment seem genuinely hurt by the news and saying what a great kid he was. RIP, Jakell. Damn.

Well said

Archived