AU Freshman Jakell Mitchell Shot and Killed

Maverick.AU

Haven't read any articles, but is there anything about an armed security guard or policeman on the premises 24/7?

If those types of security are provided....the rent goes up.

Enough murders and other violent/non violent crimes happen, and there won't be anyone willing to pay rent.

Yeah...but no. There are ALWAYS people who have no choice but to live in a low rent and troubled area. And others who choose to live there because they don't want to pay more and they don't care about security.That market exists in every city. Landlords are not willing to pay extra for security out of their own pockets, so the cost is passed on to the renters. Sometimes the renters can't or won't pay extra for that amenity. These landlords know their market, and it's about having a profitable property. If renters wanted security enough to pay extra for it they probably wouldn't be living there anyway. Turnover is always high in those kinds of places and it's kind of expected.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my experience local guys get jealous of football players. At times football players can be obnoxious. But in this situation I don't understand because Jake( ll) is a local so I'm sure most know him and he's a soft spoken just laid back type of dude. Hopefully they catch the shooter TODAY

Agree 100% Cole. This was the case when i attended Auburn. Guys coming from places like Montgomery and Columbus that didn't even attend Auburn or any other college for that matter. It was a couple times where i attended a "block party" like setting on campus and guys from those areas tried to flex their muscles with some of the football players. It was basically due to them being jealous of the fact that other young men are doing something with their lives. Even if they do make the apartment off limits to players it would just move to another apartment or area.

Oh my goodness... My GF works at the hospital and got a call to go to the ER and said a young man shot several times didn't make it. It HURTS even more it turned out to be one of our own. I'm speechless. Why can't people just learn to love one another instead of taking lives. I'm praying immensely for his family and the team. I pray they catch whomever did this. Sickening. RIP young man.

x2

It's not a problem of dorms either, its a problem of venues for entertainment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't many bars/clubs that cater to certain aspects of black culture in Auburn. Bars downtown are populated by mostly white kids, and young people are going to create venues that appeal to them. The problem with house parties is that no one regulates them, and when problems occur they are self policed, that's where violence comes into play. Instead of dealing with bouncers, or management, or police, kids are being policed by their peers, and that's just asking for it.

Bars that cater to black people? :-\

It's not a problem of dorms either, its a problem of venues for entertainment. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't many bars/clubs that cater to certain aspects of black culture in Auburn. Bars downtown are populated by mostly white kids, and young people are going to create venues that appeal to them. The problem with house parties is that no one regulates them, and when problems occur they are self policed, that's where violence comes into play. Instead of dealing with bouncers, or management, or police, kids are being policed by their peers, and that's just asking for it.

I don't know the bar scene in Auburn any more, but unless things have drastically changed, there probably aren't many black clubs anywhere near campus/downtown. That said, even if there were, there will still be house parties. White kids have them, too. Lots of them. They're especially popular with underage kids like Jakell. I was at 2 house parties at Auburn- both attended exclusively by upper middle class white kids- where gunfire occurred (incredibly, I had left both right before it happened).

So sad and angry to hear this happened. Lots of people who covered his recruitment seem genuinely hurt by the news and saying what a great kid he was. RIP, Jakell. Damn.

Exactly.

One question, well 2. Ok, can't a home owner be charged for providing to the underaged and be held responsible when someone underage has an alcohol related accident after leaving a party hosted by homeowner? If so, why can't the owners be charged in this incident. I am sure owner has to have prior knowledge for them to be held accountable. If so, can the renter not be brought up on charges? Sorry 3 questions :-/ If he were my boy, I would want anyone accountable, held accountable. Gosh this gets my gut, what his poor parents are going through.

The homeowner can be held responsible for alcohol being given to underage people. They have the responsibility to ensure that does not happen. If someone at your party is drunk and they get behind the wheel and have an accident, you can be held responsible.

I realize this was a party, but that does not mean that Jakell was partaking in alcohol. Let's not get too far ahead of the facts coming out.

I was speaking in general terms not this specific incident. I am betting there were underage drinkers there, whether he was or not.

Could the city legislate security requirements for such parties? That might just cause the parties to disperse, but at least the football players could be prohibited from "illegal" parties.

Bars that cater to black people? :-\/>

No, certain aspects of black culture, as in hip hop.

Could the city legislate security requirements for such parties? That might just cause the parties to disperse, but at least the football players could be prohibited from "illegal" parties.

probably a freedom of assembly problem for the city to put it directly on the individual. They might try to put that requirement on the apartment complex owner. The apartment complex could then make it part of the lease agreement since it is private property.

Arrest made.

http://www.oanow.com/news/auburn/article_af322c5a-837e-11e4-9bcd-5fc53fc05c4f.html

1:56 p.m.: Capt. Lorenza Dorsey of the Auburn Police Division confirms that Markale Hart, 22, of Camp Hill, has been arrested and charged with the murder of Jakell Mitchell.

The Auburn Police Division released the following statement:

On Sunday, December 14, 2014 the Auburn Police Division arrested Markale Deandra Hart, age 22 of Camp Hill on a felony warrant charging him with murder.

The arrest is the result of an investigation into an early morning shooting that occurred at Tiger Lodge Apartments, located in the 200 block of West Long Leaf Drive. Jakell Lenard Mitchell, age 18 from Opelika was shot and later died at EAMC Emergency Room as a result of multiple gunshot injuries to the chest that he sustained in the incident.

Dorsey told the Opelika-Auburn News that Hart was arrested at 10:45 a.m. He also said no additional arrests are expected.

Bars that cater to black people? :-\/>

No, certain aspects of black culture, as in hip hop.

Gotcha. But i think most clubs cater to hip hop at this point and time because it's so universal. If you go any to hip hop concert there is a variety of cultures....same with clubs now. Although i do understand that some clubs are not as diverse in which a specific race may largely attend certain bars/clubs but no matter which club you're going to these days...hip hop is being played unless it's a country music bar/club.

Arrest made.

http://www.oanow.com...c53fc05c4f.html

1:56 p.m.: Capt. Lorenza Dorsey of the Auburn Police Division confirms that Markale Hart, 22, of Camp Hill, has been arrested and charged with the murder of Jakell Mitchell.

The Auburn Police Division released the following statement:

On Sunday, December 14, 2014 the Auburn Police Division arrested Markale Deandra Hart, age 22 of Camp Hill on a felony warrant charging him with murder.

The arrest is the result of an investigation into an early morning shooting that occurred at Tiger Lodge Apartments, located in the 200 block of West Long Leaf Drive. Jakell Lenard Mitchell, age 18 from Opelika was shot and later died at EAMC Emergency Room as a result of multiple gunshot injuries to the chest that he sustained in the incident.

Dorsey told the Opelika-Auburn News that Hart was arrested at 10:45 a.m. He also said no additional arrests are expected.

GOOD!

http://www.oanow.com/news/auburn/article_af322c5a-837e-11e4-9bcd-5fc53fc05c4f.html

According to this article, it sounds like Jakell was a passenger in a car leaving the apartment complex.

Also, there is some reference on his cousin's twitter about "why they killed him before he could get the money".....this could have been a robbery attempt and Jakell was at the wrong place, wrong time.

The whole thing is so very sad. Those players need to stay away from Tiger Lodge. I've heard it is a ROUGH place and not many students even live there.

Guest jojo1515

According to this article, it sounds like Jakell was a passenger in a car leaving the apartment complex.

Also, there is some reference on his cousin's twitter about "why they killed him before he could get the money".....this could have been a robbery attempt and Jakell was at the wrong place, wrong time.

The whole thing is so very sad. Those players need to stay away from Tiger Lodge. I've heard it is a ROUGH place and not many students even live there.

Don't want to speculate too much here, but the comment from the cousin doesn't sound like a robbery....not gonna say what is does sound like to me cause it could be way off and Jakell deserves better than speculation. Glad they caught the despicable person responsible and hope they make a very large example out of him

Yeah, but there is a distinction between hip hop as an identity and cultural influence, and the music itself. Those clubs are everywhere in big cities, and as far as I am aware, not an Auburn. For instance, Sky Bar plays popular rap and hip hop music, but would not be considered a club as it pertains to hip hop. I'm not suggesting that there need to be clubs like that in Auburn. But if people are saying that these problems happen when you mix students and not students, locals and non locals at parties, then I wonder, why are they all together in the first place? Maybe it's because for what those people are looking for, there aren't alot of places to go, and so inevitably those groups of people mix and violence occurs. I definitely don't have answers, I'm just thinking aloud, so to speak...

People just have to be responsible and sensible. If you know a party has potential for an explosive outcome don't go.

Now that we have an arrest, is there any word of what exactly happened? All I've seen is that he was a passenger in a car and they were leaving... Any more updates? Just so sad... First Lutz, now Jakell... What a sad year... Praying for the family today...

Archived