AU Freshman Jakell Mitchell Shot and Killed

Maverick.AU

Yeah, but there is a distinction between hip hop as an identity and cultural influence, and the music itself. Those clubs are everywhere in big cities, and as far as I am aware, not an Auburn. For instance, Sky Bar plays popular rap and hip hop music, but would not be considered a club as it pertains to hip hop. I'm not suggesting that there need to be clubs like that in Auburn. But if people are saying that these problems happen when you mix students and not students, locals and non locals at parties, then I wonder, why are they all together in the first place? Maybe it's because for what those people are looking for, there aren't alot of places to go, and so inevitably those groups of people mix and violence occurs. I definitely don't have answers, I'm just thinking aloud, so to speak...

Because this is what goes on at a college. It's a tragic situation but if people think locking football players in on campus away from the real world will stop these situations from happening....it's not going to happen. Agree that there should be some measures taken...just not sure that shutting this place down will solve most of the answers b/c students and non students could easily pick up and move to another area that would present the same issues. It's just sad b/c this could've easily taken place in a suburban area. Younger people today and i include myself b/c i'm only 36 are just so quick to shot first rather than just walk away. Anything can set a person off and you can't say anything to people anymore.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.oanow.com/news/auburn/article_af322c5a-837e-11e4-9bcd-5fc53fc05c4f.html

Also, there is some reference on his cousin's twitter about "why they killed him before he could get the money".....this could have been a robbery attempt and Jakell was at the wrong place, wrong time.

They're talking about NFL money.

Yeah, but there is a distinction between hip hop as an identity and cultural influence, and the music itself. Those clubs are everywhere in big cities, and as far as I am aware, not an Auburn. For instance, Sky Bar plays popular rap and hip hop music, but would not be considered a club as it pertains to hip hop. I'm not suggesting that there need to be clubs like that in Auburn. But if people are saying that these problems happen when you mix students and not students, locals and non locals at parties, then I wonder, why are they all together in the first place? Maybe it's because for what those people are looking for, there aren't alot of places to go, and so inevitably those groups of people mix and violence occurs. I definitely don't have answers, I'm just thinking aloud, so to speak...

Because this is what goes on at a college. It's a tragic situation but if people think locking football players in on campus away from the real world will stop these situations from happening....it's not going to happen. Agree that there should be some measures taken...just not sure that shutting this place down will solve most of the answers b/c students and non students could easily pick up and move to another area that would present the same issues. It's just sad b/c this could've easily taken place in a suburban area. Younger people today and i include myself b/c i'm only 36 are just so quick to shot first rather than just walk away. Anything can set a person off and you can't say anything to people anymore.

I completely agree, which is why I've never said anything about locking people down or shutting a place down.

And you are right it is college, and in many ways it's the purpose of college to introduce young people to different groups of people and learn how to co-exist. But, in school when I went to house parties I was going to house parties of students, with other students there and not really many other types of people. These don't sound like your typical college parties.

Maybe my experience was unique though.

http://www.oanow.com/news/auburn/article_af322c5a-837e-11e4-9bcd-5fc53fc05c4f.html

Also, there is some reference on his cousin's twitter about "why they killed him before he could get the money".....this could have been a robbery attempt and Jakell was at the wrong place, wrong time.

thx

I completely agree, which is why I've never said anything about locking people down or shutting a place down.

And you are right it is college, and in many ways it's the purpose of college to introduce young people to different groups of people and learn how to co-exist. But, in school when I went to house parties I was going to house parties of students, with other students there and not really many other types of people. These don't sound like your typical college parties.

Yea..you are likely to party with other students but there is certainly co mingling with those that are non students in your same age range. No different than when i was at Auburn; people are just more inclined to pack guns than fists now though. Like i said in another post...this is nothing new with outsiders trying to flex their muscles. Heck even some attending Auburn tried to pick fights with athletes at Auburn. Since it is someone on the football team he gets more attention. Not saying it is an epidemic problem but it's nothing new.

Yea..you are likely to party with other students but there is certainly co mingling with those that are non students in your same age range. No different than when i was at Auburn; people are just more inclined to pack guns than fists now though. Like i said in another post...this is nothing new with outsiders trying to flex their muscles. Heck even some attending Auburn tried to pick fights with athletes at Auburn. Since it is someone on the football team he gets more attention. Not saying it is an epidemic problem but it's nothing new.

Yeah that is something new to me then. Obviously I know people pack guns, but I could bet that in every party I went to in college, not one person was carrying a gun. But like I mentioned, I partied with friends and other students. Just shows how careful you have to be when you go to places and people you are unfamiliar with.

Edit: I'm sure guns were present at some of the bars I went to, but as far as partying with strange locals go, bars were the only extent to which that happened.

Yeah that is something new to me then. Obviously I know people pack guns, but I could bet that in every party I went to in college, not one person was carrying a gun. But like I mentioned, I partied with friends and other students. Just shows how careful you have to be when you go to places and people you are unfamiliar with.

Edit: I'm sure guns were present at some of the bars I went to, but as far as partying with strange locals go, bars were the only extent to which that happened.

That's true. You even have to be careful around people you do know. You just never know these days as i constantly hear tragic stories about a person committing a crime there family and friends would not have ever expected them to do. Just have to be alert at all times.

That's true. You even have to be careful around people you do know. You just never know these days as i constantly hear tragic stories about a person committing a crime there family and friends would not have ever expected them to do. Just have to be alert at all times.

Goes back to the lack of communication you mentioned earlier.

Sounds like these open "parties" attract non-student from out of Auburn and students might not mix well with these folks....like the guy from Montgomery who did the shootings a couple years ago....was apparently looking for trouble....otherwise, why have a gun and be so quick to use it?

I disagree with the comment about not being able to stop this stuff...that's not correct...it can be done by either putting some town security, or shutting down places where trouble continually occurs. It's done all the time.

Just wondering if there is any connection between this shooting and the one with LD and EC. Wasn't the other shooter from Dadeville also? When I first saw it this morning, that was the first thought that crossed my mind. I know you can't lock these guys in but I still think that the NCAA made a big mistake taking away player dorms and allowing coaches more control over them. Hope Gus steps up the watch. While these guys are here at AU they are our responsibility to take care of. We owe their parents that.

Sounds like these open "parties" attract non-student from out of Auburn and students might not mix well with these folks....like the guy from Montgomery who did the shootings a couple years ago....was apparently looking for trouble....otherwise, why have a gun and be so quick to use it?

I disagree with the comment about not being able to stop this stuff...that's not correct...it can be done by either putting some town security, or shutting down places where trouble continually occurs. It's done all the time.

A couple of weeks ago a house in the mobile area was confiscated by the police due to 108 arrest being made at the house in the past year. They have the authority to do something if they want. I hope something is done for the safety of not just the football players, but everybody in that community.

Just wondering if there is any connection between this shooting and the one with LD and EC. Wasn't the other shooter from Dadeville also? When I first saw it this morning, that was the first thought that crossed my mind. I know you can't lock these guys in but I still think that the NCAA made a big mistake taking away player dorms and allowing coaches more control over them. Hope Gus steps up the watch. While these guys are here at AU they are our responsibility to take care of. We owe their parents that.

Exactly, way too much of a coincidence. Wouldn't surprise me if somehow it's connected. Either way this is nonsense violence! And now jakes parents have to go thru the worst thing a parent can go thru and that's burying their child. GOD help them

This is such a sad senseless act that never should have happened. I wish that CGM would tell his players to steer clear of the apartment complex where Jakell was murdered, along with other recent senseless deaths of Auburn football team members.

We cannot let this ever happen again for our team players and any other Auburn students. God bless Jake's family and give them peace and comfort throughout this tragedy.

What needs to be done is educate all young men and women to control their anger in a manageable way. That disagreements happen, that if you feel disrespected a gun is not the answer. Today's youth are such cowards that instead of handling things like we did, knuckles to the head, today's society knows nothing but pull a trigger, another body. This was a senseless murder by a young thug that didn't know how to control his emotions. I am sick and tired of our youth's lives being cut short by cowards like this dude.

For some reason Tiger Lodge (aka University Heights) and University Village attract the low-lifes like moths to the flame. 3 deaths at UH, there were two shootings in or outside of my building at UV and UV was where the four Auburn player robbery took place. And added security only means they've hired more rent-a-cops to appear imposing.

For some reason Tiger Lodge (aka University Heights) and University Village attract the low-lifes like moths to the flame. 3 deaths at UH, there were two shootings in or outside of my building at UV and UV was where the four Auburn player robbery took place. And added security only means they've hired more rent-a-cops to appear imposing.

Too bad...that's not the kind of thing a college student should have to worry about. The old dorms were crappy in my day but at least they were safe...something to consider I guess.

http://www.oanow.com...c53fc05c4f.html

My take on it ^^

http://www.oanow.com...c53fc05c4f.html

According to this article, it sounds like Jakell was a passenger in a car leaving the apartment complex.

The whole thing is so very sad. Those players need to stay away from Tiger Lodge. I've heard it is a ROUGH place and not many students even live there.

I don't think the shooting was in the car. It sounds like somebody was attempting to transport him by car to the hospital. The car was stopped because it was leaving a crime scene or the driver stopped the police as they were coming in. As for the money part, I believe that refers to NFL money, maybe meaning Jakell didn't have a lot right now but could in a few years. Just my take on it...

One question, well 2. Ok, can't a home owner be charged for providing to the underaged and be held responsible when someone underage has an alcohol related accident after leaving a party hosted by homeowner? If so, why can't the owners be charged in this incident. I am sure owner has to have prior knowledge for them to be held accountable. If so, can the renter not be brought up on charges? Sorry 3 questions :-/ If he were my boy, I would want anyone accountable, held accountable. Gosh this gets my gut, what his poor parents are going through.

The homeowner can be held responsible for alcohol being given to underage people. They have the responsibility to ensure that does not happen. If someone at your party is drunk and they get behind the wheel and have an accident, you can be held responsible.

The very last thing we need in this country is more laws. The main thing we need is the Lord. That would be Jesus, if you don't know. Fathers that live with mothers and love their children would help in a large measure. If this offends anyone, so be it.

One question, well 2. Ok, can't a home owner be charged for providing to the underaged and be held responsible when someone underage has an alcohol related accident after leaving a party hosted by homeowner? If so, why can't the owners be charged in this incident. I am sure owner has to have prior knowledge for them to be held accountable. If so, can the renter not be brought up on charges? Sorry 3 questions :-/ If he were my boy, I would want anyone accountable, held accountable. Gosh this gets my gut, what his poor parents are going through.

The homeowner can be held responsible for alcohol being given to underage people. They have the responsibility to ensure that does not happen. If someone at your party is drunk and they get behind the wheel and have an accident, you can be held responsible.

The very last thing we need in this country is more laws. The main thing we need is the Lord. That would be Jesus, if you don't know. Fathers that live with mothers and love their children would help in a large measure. If this offends anyone, so be it.

^^ Agreed!! Put Prayer back in school so the kids are exposed to it every day. If somebody doesn't believe in God then they can step out of the room or just sit there quietly reflecting or praising Allah, Buddha, etc. It worked for many years before a few decided we needed to be more tolerant and politically correct. Are you offended? Sorry, not sorry.

Archived