Fallacy Argument Copouts

Weegle777

As we have seen many times here,when someone is losing an argument, they will launch into a crazy tangent on how what you have said is some sort of "fallacy". Here is the guideline:

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/rhetological-fallacies/

As we have seen many times here,when someone is losing an argument, they will launch into a crazy tangent on how what you have said is some sort of "fallacy". Here is the guideline:

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/rhetological-fallacies/

I've never seen anyone launch any sort of tangent on fallacies. Lot of people are guilty of them here, though. I guess logic goes by the wayside the longer you stay here. Got any examples?

http://www.informati...ical-fallacies/

I'm with Bigbens here. I've seen people employ logical fallacies and act as if that suffices as a response. I don't recall people who point out that that's what someone is doing is the one running off on a tangent though.

Just a guideline as to how they are employed, nothing more. Just wanted everyone to be on even ground and to be able to point them out when they see them. Tangent may have been a poor choice of words.

The appeal to ridicule is very popular with the "smarter" element in this forum.

Not a fallacy if responding to something that is ridiculous. :devil:

Smart is to intelligence as intelligence is to smart ass.

:)

The thing about the "fallacy" argument, is that one can be used in any argument to supposedly "prove" a position. If you read that graphic, there is a "fallacy" for every possible argument one can make. And if one doesn't apply, heck just make one up!

My argument above I will call:

"The fallacy of global argument explanation."

It is used when someone tries to argue that a fallacy is always explained away with the use of a fallacy.

:laugh:

The thing about the "fallacy" argument, is that one can be used in any argument to supposedly "prove" a position. If you read that graphic, there is a "fallacy" for every possible argument one can make. And if one doesn't apply, heck just make one up!

Wrong wrong wrong. A logical fallacy is a fundamental error in logic. Fallacious thinking generally results in arguments that are not logically consistent. They are not used to prove, or even technically disprove, a position, either.

Nobody "just makes one up."

It is used when someone tries to argue that a fallacy is always explained away with the use of a fallacy.

:laugh:/>

There's already one called the fallacy fallacy, which is where you would claim that a logical error automatically invalidates an argument. Pointing out a fallacious argument would not be considered a fallacy.

Wrong wrong wrong. A logical fallacy is a fundamental error in logic. Fallacious thinking results in arguments that are not logically consistent. They are not used to prove, or even technically disprove, a position, either.

:laugh:/>

There's already one called the fallacy fallacy, which is where you would claim that a logical error automatically invalidates an argument. Pointing out a fallacious argument would not be considered a fallacy.

Your first argument is the fallacy of sweeping generalization.

Your first argument is the fallacy of sweeping generalization.

Which part? Let's discuss it. We may learn something from one another.

Thanks for sharing Weegle. I've seen people on both sides use many of these tactics on this forum. Heck there's so many I probably have too. I like the way this graph uses examples from conservatives and liberals. I think I'll bookmark this and review it before I post. LOL.

Thanks for sharing Weegle. I've seen people on both sides use many of these tactics on this forum. Heck there's so many I probably have too. I like the way this graph uses examples from conservatives and liberals. I think I'll bookmark this and review it before I post. LOL.

Actually, that's a pretty good idea. The chart is an excellent resource.

I agree. In fact, I have been looking for such a source ever since Ben started pointing them out. (Or maybe it was Tex?) ;D

Thanks weegs!

I agree. In fact, I have been looking for such a source ever since Ben started pointing them out. (Or maybe it was Tex?) ;D

Thanks weegs!

Sagan's "The Fine Art of Baloney Detection" from The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark.

Also of note from that book, "The Dragon in My Garage."

ETA Links

Link for the Fine Art of Baloney Detection.

Link for The Dragon in My Garage.

Other things to keep in mind during debates are the various philosophical razors. Occam's razor being the one most of us are familiar with. My sig has linked to the wiki article for Hanlon's razor for quite some time now.

Which part? Let's discuss it. We may learn something from one another.

Don't care to discuss it, Weegs?

Wrong wrong wrong. A logical fallacy is a fundamental error in logic. Fallacious thinking generally results in arguments that are not logically consistent. They are not used to prove, or even technically disprove, a position, either.

This. Pointing out that the other person has committed a logical fallacy in attempting to prove a point or put forth an argument isn't meant to prove anything. It simply points out that the other person has failed to prove their point in some way. It's showing flaws in logic, not asserting a position itself.

Archived