Get ready for big season!

austudnt23

There will be plenty of capable WRs coming back. Your Sammie Replacement is Ricardo Louis believe it or not he is bigger and almost as fast as Sammie (he is in the 4.3 range)

I envision Davis as more a replacement for Sammie. He is 6-4 and fast.

Who the heck is Davis that is 6-4???

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be plenty of capable WRs coming back. Your Sammie Replacement is Ricardo Louis believe it or not he is bigger and almost as fast as Sammie (he is in the 4.3 range)

I envision Davis as more a replacement for Sammie. He is 6-4 and fast.

If you are referring to Marcus Davis, he is 5'9" according to auburntigers.com. NOWHERE Close to 6-4 so I'm not sure where you dug up that information.

The more I see of Jason Smith, the more I like him. His ability to actually make throws, AND run like Marshall does is pretty nasty to think about combined with the talent we will have in at RB next season. I mean, having JJ at QB can pretty much make any WR look good, the same way Tom Brady does his thing in NE. He could make a mediocre receiver look like a trendsetter, but even if Duke leaves, I don't think we'd be in too big a hole, and having Smith in would be a big plus, simply because he can throw, and run. He also has mentioned that he wouldn't mind playing at WR so it'd be good to have him in at that spot just to juice it up.

I think Duke needs to stay 1 more year. He as a beast and can catch anything thrown in his direction. But the thing I noticed and was confirmed by some NFL scouts and experts is his rout running is raw and needs work. Regardless I think if he goes he's a mid to late 1st round to second round prospect. I don't see him going to the third round. I pray he stays for his Sr. Year.

As for JJ anyone expecting him to run like Nick Marshall stop thinking that. Think more like Cam Newton. Drop back wait for the hole up the center to open and take off straight up the field. JJ has a pro arm and monster legs, he's just different than Nick. He will be a damn fine running QB.

Center: I can't remember the guys name we picked up last year from JC. But I think he spent a year behind one of the best centers all time. The Oline should be just fine as long as they learn to pass block, and close out the corners and protect JJ's blind side.

As for the hole left by Sammy, (dont take this wrong i love most of what Sammy did) anyone who has the speed to get behind the defense and will just lay out for the ball will be huge. Where we will really miss Sammy and need someone to step up is blocking.

Overall this will be a 10 - 2 team or better. I'll say if they live up to their potential we could be be in the playoff. It all depends on our defense because CGM will have an O that will score 35-45 pts per game. We just need some stops from the defense.

Someone brought up that the Malzahn playbook runs some odd routes that don't really correlate to standard NFL offenses. Outside of seeing Jeremy play and the Alabama game, I kinda agree to this statement, we get guys open deep, but it's weird how we get guys open. I don't know, its just weird.

I think JJ will finish next season as a Heisman Trophy contender. I agree with JJ being much closer to a Cam Newton type of QB. JJ will run over people whereas Nick tends to run around them. Not saying that JJ cannot run around defenders, he will do this very well. Dak Prescott reminds me somewhat of JJ. JJ is faster and a more accurate passer. I wonder at times how Prescott would have done as a QB at Auburn. Gus would have him at an elite level. Anyhow, we shall never know this.

JJ does not have the speed of Cam and he will look to throw the ball before he runs. We will not see a Cam style of offense with JJ at QB with a lot of QB runs kind of like a veer offense... We will see a more traditional running attack out of spread formation and a lot more passing from the QB. If you want my honest opinion White fits the system better than JJ that is by no means saying he is ready to be a better QB than JJ before JJ leaves. JJ just has to work more on footwork accuracy.. Saying that I believe JJ will be a stud QB for us. Like I said we will have a big season next year. JJ does have the potential to be an absolute stud saying that.

Also not saying in that last post that Cam looked to run before he passed but we will not see JJ Rush for near as many yards as Cam did.

I don't doubt that. I think that JJ is a passing QB, but the young man can still run. There seems to be this myth on these boards for 2 years now that he is an immobal qb for some reason. It's completely false thought pattern. I think that JJ will not run as much because he will hit the open recievers. And leave most of the rushing stats to the backs. My initial point was that he's a different style runner than Nick, and that he's more straight down the field like Cam was. And not an edge runner like Nick is.

I'm not really sold on JJs lateral speed. The few times he kept it on zone reads he did not look very nimble to me. But I can't wait for him to be QB we are going to see some pretty passes from him IMO.

I also don't think JJ is going to run anyone over either. People want to compare him to Cam but JJ doesn't have the same body type as Dak or Cam to run over people and break tons of tackles, IMO. He's much leaner.

I have heard people that have watched JJ practice say that he is actually an above avg. runner. It's tough because of the two QB's he is going to be compared to. Cam was a freak although I think JJ may be a slightly better passer. And Nick is no doubt a great runner but is only avg. passing. He is taller than Nick so the strides will be longer. With the RB's we will have next year and a great OL our Off. is going to be awesome. With Muschamp coming in things are going to be fun next year. To me one of the things I like most about having Muschamp is that he coaches from the sidelines. I know ther is a big debate about which is better and both have their advanages but with him it's much better for him to be on the sidelines. He brings so much when he is there. I thought in the second have last year CEJ made good adjustments for the most part but in most cases we had to wait until haltime to make them. Muschamp will make them right away before we get down big.

The one thing we need to see from JJ, to know if he is going to be great or just really good, is if he has the natural instincts and shiftiness to extend a play when it breaks down. Turning a loss into 5+ yards, instead of just throwing it out of bounds, really adds up over time.

The one thing we need to see from JJ, to know if he is going to be great or just really good, is if he has the natural instincts and shiftiness to extend a play when it breaks down. Turning a loss into 5+ yards, instead of just throwing it out of bounds, really adds up over time.

agree. This is where Marshall could have been better. He was great when he got out of the pocket, he just didn't do it nearly as much as he could have.

agree. This is where Marshall could have been better. He was great when he got out of the pocket, he just didn't do it nearly as much as he could have.

I think he pretty much did work outside the pocket every time the situation dictated. I dont think Gus had a lot of plays called for Nick to throw it on the run so, in keeping with the script, I honestly believe NM extended plays out of necessity not just because he could whenever he wanted to. I also dont believe NM ever got the respect from this forum for what he was able to do. The guy was in incredible competitor and like Gus said so many times, the stage was NEVER too big for him. I wish he was coming back. He would definitely be my QB if he was.

I think he pretty much did work outside the pocket every time the situation dictated. I dont think Gus had a lot of plays called for Nick to throw it on the run so, in keeping with the script, I honestly believe NM extended plays out of necessity not just because he could whenever he wanted to. I also dont believe NM ever got the respect from this forum for what he was able to do. The guy was in incredible competitor and like Gus said so many times, the stage was NEVER too big for him. I wish he was coming back. He would definitely be my QB if he was.

I think he had to make the decision as to when the situation dictated and he stuck to the script too much or too long. I am not complaining about NM, I would love to have him back too. I am stating what i thought would have made him better. I felt the same about D. Craig.

I think he had to make the decision as to when the situation dictated and he stuck to the script too much or too long. I am not complaining about NM, I would love to have him back too. I am stating what i thought would have made him better. I felt the same about D. Craig.

Seeing how few times he got sacked, I disagree. His decisions weren't always perfect but it seems some cant be satisfied with anything less than perfection. Dude made as many plays if more plays than any QB since Craig and you feel neither was good enough to let well enough alone. I rest my case. Like I said, I'd take him back next year, in a heart beat, NO question about it.

Seeing how few times he got sacked, I disagree. His decisions weren't always perfect but it seems some cant be satisfied with anything less than perfection. Dude made as many plays if more plays than any QB since Craig and you feel neither was good enough to let well enough alone. I rest my case. Like I said, I'd take him back next year, in a heart beat, NO question about it.

if I was good at leaving well enough alone I would stop conversing with you.

Archived