Players leaving early

AUTUmike

Gracious, I don't often jump fully on-board with meta because of his bedside manner, but wow, that statement couldn't be farther from the truth. Frost has every measurable you'd ever want from a LB. What he lacks is consistency in his film. He had dominant games this year, and he had games where he disappeared. Consistency is the only thing he'd lacking. He and Cass would be crazy to leave, but the same was true of Darvin Adams and Robert Johnson. I hope they both come back. The idea that we wouldn't miss them is nuts. Mikey, you're out of your mind if you think the back-up LBs looked as good as Frost and McKinzy. Out of your mind. Tre Williams was so lost he had to be removed from the rotation. He's got a ton of talent, but he looked like a blind man wandering around in a new place. He just bumped into stuff from time to time.

I agree, Tre was nowhere near the level of Cass and Frost last year. People that say that are just about as lost as Tre was.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gracious, I don't often jump fully on-board with meta because of his bedside manner, but wow, that statement couldn't be farther from the truth. Frost has every measurable you'd ever want from a LB. What he lacks is consistency in his film. He had dominant games this year, and he had games where he disappeared. Consistency is the only thing he'd lacking. He and Cass would be crazy to leave, but the same was true of Darvin Adams and Robert Johnson. I hope they both come back. The idea that we wouldn't miss them is nuts. Mikey, you're out of your mind if you think the back-up LBs looked as good as Frost and McKinzy. Out of your mind. Tre Williams was so lost he had to be removed from the rotation. He's got a ton of talent, but he looked like a blind man wandering around in a new place. He just bumped into stuff from time to time.

I agree, Tre was nowhere near the level of Cass and Frost last year. People that say that are just about as lost as Tre was.

Yeah Cass and Frost were pretty solid last year IMO, though I think they should both return to become more polished players. They were the most consistent part of the defense last year despite playing behind an underachieving d-line that certainly did them no favors. Other than them, I liked some of what I saw from Swain in 2013, but Tre Williams seemed to be a pretty distant backup.

I think after a year under WM Cass and Frost may have some luck in the draft. Not this year by a long shot. They have definite talent.

I could see them going in the middle rounds if they improve. Especially if Cass is given the opportunity to rush the passer a bit next year (which he's looked good doing already), I think he could sneak into the 2nd round or so.

We're talking about missing them NEXT year. I don't mind you calling me crazy, however. I seem to recall the last time you did that it was back in August when I said neither of our two starting LB's would make anybody's all-SEC team. So far I've seen three such teams announced: (AP, Coaches, Bleacher rept.) No first team selections, no second team selections, no honorable mentions for our starting LB's. Maybe I'm only half crazy.

Our LB's haven't been that great because who was the LB coach? EJ... And that stupid system. I don't blame the LB's just yet. But next year should be better with 2 whole years of experience and a new LB coach. That will be a really important hire.

Be careful talking about cej, there are some on this board that will come defending him if u speak negatively of him. Even though you are telling the truth

I just don't see where anyone on our defense should want to leave this year. The hiring of CWM helps, but I don't exactly see anyone on our defense going into the draft as a high pick.

Mikey, they lost their shine when the defense fell to shambles. They were clear All-SEC candidates mid-season, but the whole group faded. No doubt. I was shocked Gabe Wright got mentioned in All-SEC lists. That was a result of people not watching us play. Angelo Blackson was the best player on the defense this year. Hands down. Gabe got love over him, which was/is silly. Still, the idea that Frost and McKinzy were not playing at an All-SEC level the first half of the year is just wrong. Unfortunately, their play declined right alongside everyone else's. Kris should be (and probably was) ashamed of what he put on film against UGA, but the talent is there. Heck, the performance was there for much of the season. If he learns to show up every week, he'll be All-SEC. That's the only thing he's missing.

It's ridiculous to say Garrett and Swain and Williams looked as good as Frost and McKinzy because none of those guys had real responsibility. They were putting in 10-20 snaps a game while the other two played 60-80 snaps a game. There were multiple games this year where Kris played every single snap. If we lose either guy, we'll feel it.

I don't think Gabe played as bad as stated or Blackson played as good. They both were inconsistent and Blackson made several bonehead plays at crucial times. I agree we have some talent on this defense though

Well CGM taught us that no matter how bad a team looks the year before the next season is always a new start. What he did in his first year at the helm will hopefully be a reflection of what CWM can do with our defense. Good coaching goes a long way in college football.

I don't know what their personal/family details entail, but I think every junior defensive player would be crazy not to stick around under Muschamp's tutelage for a year.

McKinzy is worried about having to learn a new defensive scheme, that is why he is considering leaving, although ultimately I expect him to stick around. He's not exactly dripping with football IQ, to put it bluntly.

Well said

Mikey, they lost their shine when the defense fell to shambles. They were clear All-SEC candidates mid-season, but the whole group faded. No doubt. I was shocked Gabe Wright got mentioned in All-SEC lists. That was a result of people not watching us play. Angelo Blackson was the best player on the defense this year. Hands down. Gabe got love over him, which was/is silly. Still, the idea that Frost and McKinzy were not playing at an All-SEC level the first half of the year is just wrong. Unfortunately, their play declined right alongside everyone else's. Kris should be (and probably was) ashamed of what he put on film against UGA, but the talent is there. Heck, the performance was there for much of the season. If he learns to show up every week, he'll be All-SEC. That's the only thing he's missing.

It's ridiculous to say Garrett and Swain and Williams looked as good as Frost and McKinzy because none of those guys had real responsibility. They were putting in 10-20 snaps a game while the other two played 60-80 snaps a game. There were multiple games this year where Kris played every single snap. If we lose either guy, we'll feel it.

I'm not buying that they were clear all-SEC candidates mid-season and fell to the point that they didn't even make one of the lengthy honorable mention lists. I don't know who you were watching the first half of the season. Frosts' zero tackle performance vs Arky, perhaps? Anyway, I didn't see any all-SEC type games vs. major competition out of either of them, no matter where in the season.

Swain, Garrett and Tre Williams might improve and be very serviceable next year. Frost and McKinzy have had three years of playing, two full years as starters and I see little reason to think they have the potential to make big improvement given another year. The others might.

Duke sent a tweet and it seems to indicate he will probably go pro. He pretty much said he needed to do what is best for his family. Which is very respectable of him. I cannot post the link atm

Duke sent a tweet and it seems to indicate he will probably go pro. He pretty much said he needed to do what is best for his family. Which is very respectable of him. I cannot post the link atm

the best thing for his family would be to stay another year and establish his 1rst round credentials. williams would regret leaving early.

You could certainly say that about Sammy (ie. dropping the ball)... but DW got a gift for snagging the un-catchable. He'll make impressive money now, and would make the NFL at some level with just his JUCo play.

the best thing for his family would be to stay another year and establish his 1rst round credentials. williams would regret leaving early.

With all due respect, that is not for you to decide. Duke knows what his family needs better than you or either one of us. I want Duke to help us out next year, but if he wants to help his family now I can respect that.

With all due respect, that is not for you to decide. Duke knows what his family needs better than you or either one of us. I want Duke to help us out next year, but if he wants to help his family now I can respect that.

Duke tweeted afterwards that the tweet didnt mean he was going pro

"Lashlee believes Williams has some qualities that have him prepared to go to the NFL next season, but there are other things he can work on."

"Lashlee believes Williams has some qualities that have him prepared to go to the NFL next season, but there are other things he can work on."

Don't tease me!

Don't tease me!

45]

@
YFBurnna_cmh

I said I have to do what's best for my family so that don't mean I'm going pro or coming back yet 1f611.png

This kills me! We had one of the best WR combinations in Auburn history and they were absolutely wasted this year. Just when we start to see their potential in the Iron Bowl, an incredible performance was wasted with a HORRIBLE defensive performance. Now when we finally have a QB with an NFL arm, these guys leave early for the draft. Yes, I get that they want to make that money. But they are almost locks for first round, top 10 picks if they return next year. This will definitely hurt our offense next year. Not only do we lose our read-option QB, we lose our two biggest weapons for Jeremy Johnson.

This kills me! We had one of the best WR combinations in Auburn history and they were absolutely wasted this year. Just when we start to see their potential in the Iron Bowl, an incredible performance was wasted with a HORRIBLE defensive performance. Now when we finally have a QB with an NFL arm, these guys leave early for the draft. Yes, I get that they want to make that money. But they are almost locks for first round, top 10 picks if they return next year. This will definitely hurt our offense next year. Not only do we lose our read-option QB, we lose our two biggest weapons for Jeremy Johnson.

We have some WO's, don't worry. :)

Archived