Players leaving early

AUTUmike

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Draftteck had Sammie 2nd round to Carolina and Walter had him 2nd round to Houston. 2nd round is A lot of dough. To be a top 10 pick you have to be megatron type receiver. If your have the chance to make those millions and take care of your family, you do it. Good luck to Sammie.

Draftteck had Sammie 2nd round to Carolina and Walter had him 2nd round to Houston. 2nd round is A lot of dough. To be a top 10 pick you have to be megatron type receiver. If your have the chance to make those millions and take care of your family, you do it. Good luck to Sammie.

Sammy Watkins was not a megatron type of WR, neither was Tavon Austin, nor was justin Blackmon. All top 10 picks, Sammie has all the physical tools and combine numbers galore, if that was combined with a good season if he had returned he would be a no brainer top 10-15 pick.

if that was combined with a good season if he had returned he would be a no brainer top 10-15 pick.

It isn't about having a "good season". NFL teams don't scout a stat sheet. The reason why I don't believe that Coates would be a shoe-in to improve his stock at all next season is simply because the things that are holding him back are things that he may never actually improve on significantly enough to make a difference. Catching a football isn't something that requires some super-secret technical training; players that are inconsistent catching the ball tend to always be inconsistent. People talk as if he's going to come back next season and find some secret elixir that allows him to catch every football thrown his way, when in reality it simply doesn't work that way. His other big weakness is general receiving awareness which explains why he seems to lose track of the ball so often, and again I'm not sure that he's going to magically flip the switch on that either. The last main thing is route running, and I'll tell you straight up that I don't believe that he'd ever get the opportunity to show off a full "route tree" in our offense. This is a great offense that scores points, but I don't believe for a second that it is great for developing receivers for the next level. Malzahn is meticulous for pigeon-holing receivers into "types" and then exploiting their role when he believes he can get a big play out of it. Everything in his offense is planned out, down to how he uses his receivers. In Coates' case, if he came back next season I'd be willing to bet that he'd be doing the same stuff that he's been doing these past two seasons: namely being used as a deep threat to punish defenses for creeping up to cheat against the run. I don't buy for a second that he'd all of a sudden be running a full NFL route-tree if he came back, ergo his route running would still be a general weakness.

Sammy Watkins was not a megatron type of WR, neither was Tavon Austin, nor was justin Blackmon. All top 10 picks, Sammie has all the physical tools and combine numbers galore, if that was combined with a good season if he had returned he would be a no brainer top 10-15 pick.

He could come back and have a Tyrone Prothro type injury and never have the chance to fulfill a goal. Whether he's insured or not, I'm sure he'd rather not take a chance, especially sice he's already graduated.

if that was combined with a good season if he had returned he would be a no brainer top 10-15 pick.

It isn't about having a "good season". NFL teams don't scout a stat sheet. The reason why I don't believe that Coates would be a shoe-in to improve his stock at all next season is simply because the things that are holding him back are things that he may never actually improve on significantly enough to make a difference. Catching a football isn't something that requires some super-secret technical training; players that are inconsistent catching the ball tend to always be inconsistent. People talk as if he's going to come back next season and find some secret elixir that allows him to catch every football thrown his way, when in reality it simply doesn't work that way. His other big weakness is general receiving awareness which explains why he seems to lose track of the ball so often, and again I'm not sure that he's going to magically flip the switch on that either. The last main thing is route running, and I'll tell you straight up that I don't believe that he'd ever get the opportunity to show off a full "route tree" in our offense. This is a great offense that scores points, but I don't believe for a second that it is great for developing receivers for the next level. Malzahn is meticulous for pigeon-holing receivers into "types" and then exploiting their role when he believes he can get a big play out of it. Everything in his offense is planned out, down to how he uses his receivers. In Coates' case, if he came back next season I'd be willing to bet that he'd be doing the same stuff that he's been doing these past two seasons: namely being used as a deep threat to punish defenses for creeping up to cheat against the run. I don't buy for a second that he'd all of a sudden be running a full NFL route-tree if he came back, ergo his route running would still be a general weakness.

Tried to tell him the exact same thing.....He dropped some passes though so in his mind he'll never be a good wr in the nfl

Tried to tell him the exact same thing.....He dropped some passes though so in his mind he'll never be a good wr in the nfl

There you go again putting words in other people's mouths. I have never said he wouldn't be a good NFL WR. I've said numerous times he has more talent and potential than almost any player I've seen in some time. Only problem I ever had was consistency, and that's not always referring to drops . Look at Sammy Watkins for example: great season, then season very similar to sammie's (kind of a step down from the previous year) , then he has a great season and he goes in the top 10 of the draft. I personally think players can grow more consistent over time. So we agree to disagree but don't go trying to say things I didn't say. Either way Sammie will be a good NFL WR in time and whatever team will be lucky to have him ffor both on and off the field

Very interesting piece....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rookie-salary-cap-has-created-bigger-problems-for-nfl-194508899.html

Another unintended consequence of a well intended rule by the professional leagues that is causing more players to leave early....rather than fewer as was the intent.

I applaud Reese Dismukes for coming back for his senior season. Proud of this Auburn man. Glad he didn't listen to all these closet bammers who urge our kids to leave early.

My thing is that if you have earned your degree and have a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round grade from the NFL, the only thing you can do for yourself by coming back is injuring yourself. For example, Sammie Coates this year.

Wish we had more guys like Reese on this team. We have too many players who only stay 3 years. And if the come from the JUCO ranks, like Rudi, Ronney, Cam now it looks like we can add Duke to that list who stays a year before they jump ship.

I'm glad we had players like cam, I'm glad the closet bammers that that get mad because they didn't serve their selfish needs means little to them

Very interesting piece....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rookie-salary-cap-has-created-bigger-problems-for-nfl-194508899.html

Another unintended consequence of a well intended rule by the professional leagues that is causing more players to leave early....rather than fewer as was the intent.

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

Apparently Duke has not practiced at all for the bowl.

Appears he's just sandbagging to make absolutely sure he doesn't get injured before the draft. Gus said it wasn't grades. They said he was sick when he missed the first day of bowl practice, but that was like a week ago. It's the only explanation I can think of.

Apparently Duke has not practiced at all for the bowl.

Appears he's just sandbagging to make absolutely sure he doesn't get injured before the draft. Gus said it wasn't grades. They said he was sick when he missed the first day of bowl practice, but that was like a week ago. It's the only explanation I can think of.

... Or he's just sick? People can be sick for a week, especially when you get in the high stress college environment. Finals were last week, and these guys were going through practice too. The sky isn't falling.

Unless his injury has jeopardized his draft status, I doubt we ever see Duke in an AU uni again...

You may be right. I get the impression he would like to stay. He may feel like he needs to go because of family.

I'm just confused on why duke wouldn't get evaluated? It's either coming out this year or next so an nfl board evaluation would be vital to either scenario.

I'm just confused on why duke wouldn't get evaluated? It's either coming out this year or next so an nfl board evaluation would be vital to either scenario.

seems correct. He might actually be sick or have some personal issues that he is focused on now. He still has time. I don't expect him back, so if he comes back it's icing on the cake.

Everything I heard is he is gone and won't play the bowl game. He has not been going to class and doesn't have the fades to be eligible for a January bowl game. No I don't have a link

Read the daily reports RIR is posting. In one of them Gus said everybody is academically eligible. Unless you think Gus is an outright liar, Duke is eligible to play and what you've been hearing is more bamzo BS.

Archived