Why such hate from Carolina fans?!

SKCAUB

Been perusing the Carolina boards a bit...and I must say...I didn't realize that some South Carolina fans HATE US as much as they do. Talking about us buying players...cheating...etc. Just ridiculous stuff. I don't understand the reason for what seems to be such a deep rooted hostility. Other than us beating them a few times...what gives?!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been perusing the Carolina boards a bit...and I must say...I didn't realize that some South Carolina fans HATE US as much as they do. Talking about us buying players...cheating...etc. Just ridiculous stuff. I don't understand the reason for what seems to be such a deep rooted hostility. Other than us beating them a few times...what gives?!

Heads up, that's what the entire SEC thinks of us.

Yup. That is also the national perception I think of message board college football fans.

Obviously Im biased but honestly after seeing other teams message boards I think AU Family is one of the more reasonable places to discuss football and has some very realistic fans who dont mind giving another team props when they beat us. UGA boards have been the worst ones I have seen the last few years.

At the South Carolina game this year many usc fans said they wanted Coach Ellis back. Now they can have him.

^^^^^^. They can get him on the cheap now and have us to thank.

I get the mentality that we "buy " players is there. But seriously don't they think we would have bought some end rushers if we were into that?

That is the common opinion about Auburn everywhere you go. Auburn only wins because Auburn takes the thugs and criminals that got tossed out of other schools, buys players, and cheats on the field by stealing signals, unfair play (Nick Fairly), etc. Game announcers always make comments about the fact that Cam Newton and Nick Marshall were caught stealing and thrown out of their first-choice school. And the only reason Auburn wasn't clobbered in the Cam Newton deal was because Auburn has become so great at hiding the corruption.

The hate comes from Arkansas, Georgia, and South Carolina most of all -- and from within our own state as well, of course.

And being in the news every year for players involved in burglaries and shootings at parties certainly doesn't help. Auburn is still pretty much known as ThugU.

That is the common opinion about Auburn everywhere you go. Auburn only wins because Auburn takes the thugs and criminals that got tossed out of other schools, buys players, and cheats on the field by stealing signals, unfair play (Nick Fairly), etc. Game announcers always make comments about the fact that Cam Newton and Nick Marshall were caught stealing and thrown out of their first-choice school. And the only reason Auburn wasn't clobbered in the Cam Newton deal was because Auburn has become so great at hiding the corruption.

The hate comes from Arkansas, Georgia, and South Carolina most of all -- and from within our own state as well, of course.

And being in the news every year for players involved in burglaries and shootings at parties certainly doesn't help. Auburn is still pretty much known as ThugU.

^^THIS ^^

It is what it is - the perception from the rest of the college football world is just as you described above. I have family in south Louisiana and catch grief non-stop from those folks - they hate AU with a passion.

I have family in south Louisiana and catch grief non-stop from those folks - they hate AU with a passion.

Yup. We also bought Trovon Reed and Greg Robinson out of Thibodaux, if anybody's keeping score. And let's not forget that an LSU fan wrote "As the Plains Burn".

I hate it. It hurts. Because we all know that Auburn is not the cesspool that others make it out to be. But it's hard to change perceptions when the perceptions are rooted in factual information. We see Cam and NM as giving kids a second chance, and they both took the best possible path to benefit from those second chances. But still, others view it as taking in criminals. And fat snots like Bielema makes comments about how Arkansas would never accept a player with a past, and somehow UGA avoids the stench of all the criminals and thugs they bring in there, somehow maintaining an overall positive image despite having more arrested players than just about any team in football.

We can say it is unfair, but that doesn't change the perception.

^^THIS ^^

It is what it is - the perception from the rest of the college football world is just as you described above. I have family in south Louisiana and catch grief non-stop from those folks - they hate AU with a passion.

We can thank BSPN for allot of this!

I don't have a problem with it, because before Tuberville left AU and there were never any of these types of issues at AU, people on this board would totallllly slam other schools that took on the Cam Newton's, the Nick Marshall's, the Tray Matthews', the Cinmeon Bowers', the Trayvon Reed's of the world.

People would even call Georgia THUGA just because they danced on the sideline while whipping AU's butts.

Funny how that's changed, although I do find it interesting how hypocritical some people can be. We should just realize it and recognize it. AU gives lots of second (and third) chances.

Unfortunately this is true, and the fanbases that mainly actually do this trash are the ones criticizing us (UA, UGA)!

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE

They are just jealous of our success. It might be more productive for them to focus their hate towards Clemson.

Tiger, you think this perception of Auburn started with Tuberville? We were on probation for paying players in the early 90s. In the late 90s, under Bowden, I remember being named the most corrupt program in America. That was when Robert Baker was slinging rocks and DD Green was popping off a gun at a party. This perception definitely didn't start in the 2000s.

1. This is the biggest reason: That doofus at their Scout site who posted the "Done Deal" article claiming Muschamp had agreed to terms with SC (then sticking by it to the bitter end) raised a lot of false expectations. Had he not done that and been more in line with other SC writers and site admins, they likely would have expected from the get-go that CWM was going to Auburn and it wouldn't have been a big deal. As it was, it turned into a showdown as to who's sources were legit. That led to the second issue...

2. They read the confidence of Auburn fans and site admins that CWM was coming to Auburn as arrogance. They didn't take it merely as "we trust our sources more than your sources", they saw it as "we believe we get Boom because we're Auburn and you're lowly South Carolina."

3. They are frustrated by their futility against us, even under Spurrier. It's becoming a bone of contention that they haven't beaten us since joining the SEC (in fact, they last beat us in 1933). So that causes them to lapse into the same dumbass excuse making that Hog fans, UGAly fan and bammers engaged in when we stomped the s*** out of them in their only appearance in the SEC title game: Cam was paid, Auburn cheats. It's easier to accept that somehow the other side did something underhanded than it is to just man up and accept that we were simply better.

4. It's also a bit of panic from their end. Spurrier really messed up with his "I'll coach 2-3 more years" quote a couple of weeks ago. SC didn't and does not have any succession plan in place if Spurrier leaves in 2-3 years. That tells potential recruits for certain that he won't be there their entire time at SC. Kids don't like that kind of uncertainty. What if they can't hire a top notch coach to replace him? As a result, they've now lost 5 commitments since Spurrier said that publicly. They saw Muschamp as a de facto head coach in waiting thing as a way to stop the bleeding and settle things down. With that falling through, recruiting is in a free fall for them. Plus we are pushing hard to flip one of their JUCO commits to sign with us on Wednesday.

All of these things combined have created a hatred for us. They are in a tailspin and we snatched their biggest hope of getting out of it. Add to that their lack of success against us and you have all the makings of a big green envy monster.

I don't have a problem with it, because before Tuberville left AU and there were never any of these types of issues at AU, people on this board would totallllly slam other schools that took on the Cam Newton's, the Nick Marshall's, the Tray Matthews', the Cinmeon Bowers', the Trayvon Reed's of the world.

People would even call Georgia THUGA just because they danced on the sideline while whipping AU's butts.

Funny how that's changed, although I do find it interesting how hypocritical some people can be. We should just realize it and recognize it. AU gives lots of second (and third) chances.

Georgia is still thuga as long as mark ritchis there. I see him changing it is as likely as him actually winning championships.

First, let me begin with RIP Jakell Mitchell. But, events like this past weekend and what happened in 2012 do not help our national perception. I don't claim to have all the answers, but something needs to change. Not exactly sure what our coaches and administration need to do to protect the lives of our players, but this is way more than a once in a lifetime freak accident.

Tiger, you think this perception of Auburn started with Tuberville? We were on probation for paying players in the early 90s. In the late 90s, under Bowden, I remember being named the most corrupt program in America. That was when Robert Baker was slinging rocks and DD Green was popping off a gun at a party. This perception definitely didn't start in the 2000s.

I was alluding to while Tubs was at AU, the football team rarely had off the field issues. During that era, this board had a large 'holier than thou' sentiment in regards to player character and behavior and used to needle other teams for taking on "thugs". I was only commenting on this part. As far as Robert Baker and Deandre Green, I think those were Bowden's recruits. But that was also prior to me joining this board (and it's existence haha). I didn't mean to say that this attitude towards Auburn happened with Tubs, but as far as this new generation of "AU haters" I think it stems from Cam and Auburn hasn't done much to reverse the name calling,as evidenced by the fact that AU has taken on MORE guys with questionable pasts. I was only discussing Tubs because how he dealt with guys who got in trouble, and whatnot, was completely different than how Chiz and Gus had handled/are handling things now.

Georgia is still thuga as long as mark ritchis there. I see him changing it is as likely as him actually winning championships.

But.......isn't it weird that some of these "thugs" that Richt has are too "thuggish" for "THUGA" and they kick them out but AU has no problem taking them? Marshall and Matthews fall under this category. AND Marshall screwed up again when he was supposed to be on a short leash on his second chance. What does that say about AU?

Not hating or anything just trying to look at things objectively.

Yep, which is why I will never pull for an SEC team other than AU.

Archived