Alabama's stats vs. Will Muschamp

AUNavyNightmare

I do believe he was 2-0 against the Tide when he was the DC back in 2006 and 2007. I guess that's called "owning." Honestly, I don't know what the particular stats were for the 2 games, just that AU won both of them when he was the DC. So, I guess one could say that Muschamp actually owned Bama.

I'm sure they are including cumulative stats when he was not at AU as a DC or HC as well, but I'm not inclined to look them up...

Mixed bag. Here's the list of Muschamp games against Bama:

UF 2014 - 42 points (loss)

UF 2011 - 38 points (loss)

UT 2009 - 37 points (loss)

AU 2007 - 10 points (win)

AU 2006 - 15 points (win)

Even with the big point totals, it's hard to say the Bama offense did much against Muschamp's defense in the national title game. They had 260 yards. The defense forced 5 turnovers and ran an INT back for a touchdown. Bama had offensive scoring drives of 57, 49, 20, 3, and 27 yards. Again, hard to pin the point total on the Texas defense.

This year though? Yeah. Bama posted 670 total yards. They romped Muschamp's butt.

Even with the big point totals, it's hard to say the Bama offense did much against Muschamp's defense in the national title game. They had 260 yards. The defense forced 5 turnovers and ran an INT back for a touchdown. Bama had offensive scoring drives of 57, 49, 20, 3, and 27 yards. Again, hard to pin the point total on the Texas defense.

This year though? Yeah. Bama posted 670 total yards. They romped Muschamp's butt.

They romped him because his team had no offense and despite creating 4 turnovers, Driskel and co. did nothing and the defense got worn out, as any defense would in that situation. Even given those circumstances, if that defense had been paired with our offense in the Iron Bowl, we still win 44-42.

Bama raped that Fla secondary and then proceeded to run all over them late in that game. Fla had some real talent on that D too - that Hargreaves kid is good.

I'm more interested in seeing what kind of talent Will attracts to AU, and wanting to see how the position coaches develop the talent.

lca, it wasn't the defense folding late. They had multiple touchdowns over 60 yards in the first half. It was as bad as the beating they put on us in the Iron Bowl.

The reason UF gave up so many yards was because they were over-the-top in their aggression and basically tried to create a turnover every single play. Muschamp knew his offense couldn't do much so he tried to force turnovers so his offense didn't have to drive the length of the field. Which is why on every play either UAT was stuffed, turned the ball over, or got a massive gain. There wasn't much in between.

lca, it wasn't the defense folding late. They had multiple touchdowns over 60 yards in the first half. It was as bad as the beating they put on us in the Iron Bowl.

Well technically I guess TWO is multiple but it was ONLY two. 87 and 79 yard plays. One in 1st quarter and 1 in second quarter. The rest of the scoring plays were 2,3,4 and 6 yards. turnovers is what killed Florida and little offensive consistency. Only one of uat's scoring drives was less than 60 yards.

You realize that last sentence reflects negatively on the defense right? Not the offense. Bama had 5 drives of 60 or more yards. That's horrible defense. Not the offense. Not the turnovers. That's on the defense.

And the long TDs were both in the first quarter. One of their first offensive snap and the second with 4:23 to play in the first. They also had two more plays of 25+ yards in the first quarter and three more 25+ yard plays in the second half. Basically, they were running wind sprints for much of the game.

UF could've had our offense and, like us, they still would've lost the game. They couldn't get a stop to save their lives.

In spite of that, I'd say it's 2-2 between Saban's offenses and Muschamp's defenses. Auburn in 2007 and Texas in 2009 clearly got the better of Bama's offense (Texas lost because of the five turnovers and playing a back up QB, which might be the same thing said two ways).

Pretty impressive stats but we might as well disregard '06 & '07 because those UAT teams weren't anywhere near as good as what they have now or next year for that matter. UAT will still be a tough opponent IMO.

With this years offensive (Auburn) output that would have made him 5-0 (if it were at Auburn). ;)

Ya, one of those TD's was a pick at the end of the first half on a shovel pass. The last TD came with what like a minute left and was a total trash TD. In the game against Texas. Texas spent a quarter and a half trying to get its offense going on what they wanted to do when Colt went down.

So we're doomed ?

Nope. It was a bad game. Nothing more. Just noting that Bama worked his defense over. Again, I call it 2-2.

i'm the type that has to see the product on the field first before i proclaim anything. Ellis Johnson got the best of Bama a few years ago IIRC while at SC. means jack until you do it on the field.

i'm the type that has to see the product on the field first before i proclaim anything. Ellis Johnson got the best of Bama a few years ago IIRC while at SC. means jack until you do it on the field.

That's how I see it too. I'm glad we got Muschamp but at the same time he better work out for us because he's getting $1.6 million a year even though he hasn't proven yet that he can turn the defense around.

It seems a little concerning, but I still think what makes the difference is an offense that is capable of scoring on long, sustained drives consistently. Muschamp hated offense- at least that's how it appeared, and he's now paired with a HC who loves offense.

It seems a little concerning, but I still think what makes the difference is an offense that is capable of scoring on long, sustained drives consistently. Muschamp hated offense- at least that's how it appeared, and he's now paired with a HC who loves offense.

i too think that has some affect on the defense. we score so dang fast at times and the guys have to get right back out there.

Archived