***12/15/14 Updates - Bowl Prep Edition***

RunInRed

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the most sensitive football forum in the history of the internet. By the way some of y'all act, you'd think we're critiquing our children's ballet recital. If our players really do get their feelings hurt this easily then it's no wonder these 3,4 and 5* athletes have underachieved 3 out of the past 4 seasons.

Didn't know you were an internet historian.

S

i

c

k

B

u

r

n

B

r

u

h

Lol

I've talked to several players (past and present) and I can tell you with 100% certainty they read THIS forum and the others. It would be nice to have a sticky reminding everyone of this.

I suspect they read much of what they see here for amusement.

Now, bowl practice (the subject of this thread). Does anyone know the playing time plans? Are we going to lean heavy on the seniors at positions to send them out of their time at AU, or do we see some non-starters during the year getting a quarter or two to cut their teeth?

It's odd to me that I've never really thought about a bowl game in terms of an exhibition game. That is, should we be more focused on next years' job auditions than putting a pretty bow on this season.

The 'compete at all costs' side has merit, I suppose. Give the departing players one more chance to shine... Represent the SEC vs. the B1G conference... etc.

But this year more than any I can remember, I feel like it would be good to see what we have coming back next year - short of playing redshirted players, of course. Start the gelling now.

Maybe give the starters a half and then give next year's squad the second half, regardless of the scoreboard.

Curious to know how the coaches might be approaching this.

The game really means nothing. I couldn't care less about SEC pride going into this post-season. We have nothing to prove as a conference, I don't think.

I'm of the opinion that football practice is going to be half football and half therapy for the next month. If it helps guys move forward, the game served its purpose. I could give a damn less who wins a throw-away bowl game. Give these guys something else to think about. That's good enough right now.

I get what you're saying, but this bowl aint a throwaway. Bama has a bad habit of embarrassing themselves and their conference when they land in a "throw-away bowl game." Let's let that be a Bama specialty.

Now, bowl practice (the subject of this thread). Does anyone know the playing time plans? Are we going to lean heavy on the seniors at positions to send them out of their time at AU, or do we see some non-starters during the year getting a quarter or two to cut their teeth?

It's odd to me that I've never really thought about a bowl game in terms of an exhibition game. That is, should we be more focused on next years' job auditions than putting a pretty bow on this season.

The 'compete at all costs' side has merit, I suppose. Give the departing players one more chance to shine... Represent the SEC vs. the B1G conference... etc.

But this year more than any I can remember, I feel like it would be good to see what we have coming back next year - short of playing redshirted players, of course. Start the gelling now.

Maybe give the starters a half and then give next year's squad the second half, regardless of the scoreboard.

Curious to know how the coaches might be approaching this.

The game really means nothing. I couldn't care less about SEC pride going into this post-season. We have nothing to prove as a conference, I don't think.

We have spring and preseason practice for that. Not only do I want to win, but those leaving who are starters have earned the right to play a last game, a bowl game, and go out on top. Reese, Nick, Sammie, et.al., deserve that.

I think we let the Seniors get plenty of playing time and try to win of course but at some point you've got to pull them and see what we've got for next year. There is no substitute for the real speed of an actual game. Get JJ, Roc, Barber, the wideouts, and a host of defensive players some action. JMO.

I'm not sure why harbison is coaching the bowl game. I'd rather have Muschamp getting started right away. And harbison is one of the reasons why there was a rift in the team anyway. It just doesn't make sense.

Why would Muschamp want responsibility for the bowl? He needs to assess what he has and recruit. I think his time is better spent doing what he's doing?

I'm not sure why harbison is coaching the bowl game. I'd rather have Muschamp getting started right away. And harbison is one of the reasons why there was a rift in the team anyway. It just doesn't make sense.

i don't know about who caused a rift, but I would much rather boom go ahead and take over.

i don't know about who caused a rift, but I would much rather boom go ahead and take over.

I believe (from the pics) that BOOM has already taken over (as he should, since it's been ANNOUNCED).... I'm sure BOOM is the boss already. Let's hope he has already taught the back "5" how to TACKLE. If so, the Outback Bowl should be fun to watch!!!

I almost wonder if Malzahn is letting him audition for his next job, wherever that ends up being.

I almost wonder if Malzahn is letting him audition for his next job, wherever that ends up being.

Believe you're right.

I was one during the latter half of the season that "subtely" (word?) blamed Harbison for the D problems rather than CEJ. The D was showing VAST improvement during the 1st half of the year and then the "Whitehead Incident" (which sounds VERY suspiciously like Harbison was the issue) began the downward slide. THAT, combined, with VERY poor back 5 angles and tackling made the "issue", in my eyes, the DB coach's issue as much as anything.

This is the most sensitive football forum in the history of the internet. By the way some of y'all act, you'd think we're critiquing our children's ballet recital. If our players really do get their feelings hurt this easily then it's no wonder these 3,4 and 5* athletes have underachieved 3 out of the past 4 seasons.

Didn't know you were an internet historian.

S

i

c

k

B

u

r

n

B

r

u

h

Lol

I don't know about you but my I went off on my daughter after her recital for lack of execution and focus, she handled it just fine. Maybe some of these kids should take up ballet (apply sarcasm yellow to all fonts if reader has not clue else leave as typed)

Hilarious....so it was Harbisons fault the defense had rifts? How can you factually say that? EJ set the schemes and defensive plans, other coaches more than likely were asked to execute his defensive plan for each game. I don't know what happened but to say a coach did this or that and calling players lazy is a bit premature, unless you can back it up with facts...

Hilarious....so it was Harbisons fault the defense had rifts? How can you factually say that? EJ set the schemes and defensive plans, other coaches more than likely were asked to execute his defensive plan for each game. I don't know what happened but to say a coach did this or that and calling players lazy is a bit premature, unless you can back it up with facts...

Facts are usually in short supply when people start talking about coaches.

So we should post only good things? All the time?

As a general rule I wouldn't post anything you wouldn't say to their face. I have a hard time believing people would say some of the stuff I read on here to their face. It's hard to be mean and critical if they are standing in front of you.

So if Harbison was at fault, his punishment is to bench Whitehead for 4 weeks? That makes NO sense and if it is the case, Malzahn has no integrity to his players IF Harbison was at fault and he decided to bench Whitehead!

So if Harbison was at fault, his punishment is to bench Whitehead for 4 weeks? That makes NO sense and if it is the case, Malzahn has no integrity to his players IF Harbison was at fault and he decided to bench Whitehead!

I really don't believe any of us have enough information to form a fair opinion on anything to be honest. Much less Gus's integrity or how he runs his team.

While we all don't really want Harbison to coach the bowl, this makes the most sense because he knows EJ's defense. Installing Muschamp's defense will take time for the players to grasp and execute. The bowl prep is not enough time to do that. Muschamp won't be able to call EJ's defense either, so monitoring practice and observing talent to see who he needs to recruit will go a long way. The spring is when he will install his defense so we can see what we've got at the ADay game.

I've talked to several players (past and present) and I can tell you with 100% certainty they read THIS forum and the others. It would be nice to have a sticky reminding everyone of this.

Aye...so?

So try not to be an @$$ maybe.

Bowl Games are not Throw away games! They set you up for post season work outs and Spring....it give you momentum to take you into the next season...also, those players who are playing in their last game as an AU player want to win...so are you willing to look them in the eye and tell them that it is a throw away game and winning doesn't matter? If that is true then why even try all season? why get up at the crack of dawn and work out? WHy try and eat right? Dude if you don't have the competitive spirit to put everything on the line at each game then you attitude may need adjusting...This game represents their hard work this season and all of those years that they have put into it...some will not play again other will go on to pro careers...if we can work in younger players fine but just don't throw the darn game like it doesn't matter....don't be a darn quieter...that is what the other school does and their fans say...THIS GAME MATTERS...also I don't like alvarez and want to see him go down along with the big ten +2....

You step on the field, you best be playing to win. Rotate guys in if they've earned it, but this isn't an exhibition or NFL preseason game.

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

Aye...so?

So try not to be an @$$ maybe.

So saying a guy played poorly or a certain position group has underachieved makes someone an ass? Do you always tiptoe on eggshells or is it just when you talk about football?

Auburn beat writers Joel A. Erickson and Brandon …this is for dual threat Rigby if he sees this....go to 1:36 and listen, since you made it seem I was lying or didn't know what I was talking about...everybody else this is pretty good let you know what they've been seeing and hearing about practice.

Auburn beat writers Joel A. Erickson and Brandon …:

Archived