RunInRed

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an important game because,

* winning is better than losing

* 9-4 looks a lot better than 8-5

* the Seniors deserve to win this game

* the Juniors and Sophs own this team at the final whistle and they need to start off right

This is an important game because,

* winning is better than losing

* 9-4 looks a lot better than 8-5

* the Seniors deserve to win this game

* the Juniors and Sophs own this team at the final whistle and they need to start off right

Nah, winning the game is incidental. If we can run up 600 yds of offense, we'll "own" em. ;D:rolleyes:

Wow. I appreciate the fire in all the responses to, I assume, my post about this game being an audition for the younger players.

I certainly respect all of your positions. I was mostly thinking out loud.

I agree that 9-4 looks a lot better than 8-5 and that it would be a shame for seniors to go out with a loss.

I guess, for everyone to be happy, the first-teamers should just get up by 28 or so by the middle of the 3rd quarter and then let the young guys come in!

WDE

Same here.... The seniors have already written their legacy, besides one more win or loss. At this point I'm hoping for more of a mix of what's to come, these guys are due too. All season the seniors/starters haven't usually played well enough to finally garner time for the rest... so why continue the ball hogging one game more?

Surprised anyone doesn't want to win this game. I want us to win them all!

Wanting to win and wanting next year's starters to get playing time to give us a preview of next year are not necessarily mutually exclusive desires.

However... as I've stated... I definitely get the merit of giving the departing players a swan song and beating a team from the B1G, etc.

I described the game as meaningless in the discussion of Carl Lawson playing or not. It's not worth a player's health or a year of eligibility. Besides that you go all out to win. Momentum.

There's people here sounding like Bammers -- if we can't play for the championship, why bother, just send the newbies out there and let them get beat. Wisconsin is not a shabby team. They have the Heisman runner-up at RB, who definitely earned that recognition. They have a good OL and averaged 34 points per game (Auburn averaged 36). They have a *much* better defense than Auburn (4th), although they got shredded by tOSU. They won their division, and their two regular season losses were close games they could have won. And the last time Alvarez led Wisconsin against Auburn in a bowl game, he put a whoopin' on us, winning by 2 touchdowns.

Yes, bowl practice is a time for getting the young guys some work. But I don't think CGM will have the backups on the field against Wisconsin unless one team or the other is out of the game. Because I sure don't expect Wisconsin to be playing to lose. There will be a lot of Auburn fans at the game, and they will not be there to watch Auburn lose.

I described the game as meaningless in the discussion of Carl Lawson playing or not. It's not worth a player's health or a year of eligibility. Besides that you go all out to win. Momentum.

Agreed.

As said before... wanting to win and playing differently are not mutually exclusive. As is wanting to see the starters finally go at the advertised speed, And as is wanting to see what ELSE is in the stable of running backs. And as in letting another QB touch the ball in a meaningful situation.

So what's the difference in letting the foot up in the third and putting in the non-starters..... (maybe a bigger lead).... ?

There's people here sounding like Bammers -- if we can't play for the championship, why bother, just send the newbies out there and let them get beat. Wisconsin is not a shabby team. They have the Heisman runner-up at RB, who definitely earned that recognition. They have a good OL and averaged 34 points per game (Auburn averaged 36). They have a *much* better defense than Auburn (4th), although they got shredded by tOSU. They won their division, and their two regular season losses were close games they could have won. And the last time Alvarez led Wisconsin against Auburn in a bowl game, he put a whoopin' on us, winning by 2 touchdowns.

Yes, bowl practice is a time for getting the young guys some work. But I don't think CGM will have the backups on the field against Wisconsin unless one team or the other is out of the game. Because I sure don't expect Wisconsin to be playing to lose. There will be a lot of Auburn fans at the game, and they will not be there to watch Auburn lose.

Yes

Those who think this game is a throw away game are wrong in so many ways. Go win for the Srs, those coming back, recruiting, and for the AUBURN FAMILY. WAR EAGLE!!!!

Those who think this game is a throw away game are wrong in so many ways. Go win for the Srs, those coming back, recruiting, and for the AUBURN FAMILY. WAR EAGLE!!!!

Exactly. A team should always take pride in winning, no matter how big or small the game may seem.

Our coaches would have their jobs cut out for them motivating some of our guys for this bowl IMO but for our losing 3 of our last 5 games. Motivation won't be the issue, execution will be.

But look, Wisco is like an ACC Coastal Division champ caliber team (e.g. GT). They have talent to be respected. But Indiana over Mizzou notwithstanding, their season stats are more than helped by playing Big 10, Purdue-caliber teams. They lost to one of the 2 SEC caliber Big 10 teams by over EIGHT (8) TDs. In their most recent game. LSU (AU 41, LSU 7) played their worst game of the year but still beat them. The ONLY way we lose to this Wisco team is if most AU players take them lightly. For an entire game. Note I'm not saying Wisco will have trouble moving the ball on our D.

I thought (and still think) the outcome of this game is rather meaningless. The most important thing is to provide an outlet for grieving kids. If they're able to work through some of the hurt and confusion that accompanies the sudden loss of a friend, then the game served its purpose. I suspect there will be a lot of guys going through the motions for chunks of time. I lost a close friend to a car wreck in high school, and I was definitely just sort of dazed for a couple months. It's hard to process. That grieving process and family bonding will matter a lot more than whether we win or lose the game. I'm having a hard time thinking of it as anything more than a healing time.

If we're talking about the game or the defense, it's a tryout for certain guys, but there will be so many additions and subtractions that this won't give us anything close to a feel for next year's defense. You're still not going to see Lawson or Lambert or Justin Thornton or Andrew Williams or Dontavius Russell out there. All of those guys are going to play a prominent role on the defensive front next year. So the game is literally irrelevant on the front. The practices matter a lot more.

I thought (and still think) the outcome of this game is rather meaningless. The most important thing is to provide an outlet for grieving kids. If they're able to work through some of the hurt and confusion that accompanies the sudden loss of a friend, then the game served its purpose. I suspect there will be a lot of guys going through the motions for chunks of time. I lost a close friend to a car wreck in high school, and I was definitely just sort of dazed for a couple months. It's hard to process. That grieving process and family bonding will matter a lot more than whether we win or lose the game. I'm having a hard time thinking of it as anything more than a healing time.

If we're talking about the game or the defense, it's a tryout for certain guys, but there will be so many additions and subtractions that this won't give us anything close to a feel for next year's defense. You're still not going to see Lawson or Lambert or Justin Thornton or Andrew Williams or Dontavius Russell out there. All of those guys are going to play a prominent role on the defensive front next year. So the game is literally irrelevant on the front. The practices matter a lot more.

Nothing feels better than winning.

This is a big game. Our D might get shredded with their Oline and their Heisman runner-up. He's the best back in the country. We will have to score a lot of points to win. I don't believe that Wisconsin will back down in any way. Nick, CAP, and Sammie will be ready to play their last game and will ball out. Hopefully the defense will do the same. This would be a huge momentum builder for the team if they win going into next season. 9 wins after the up and down season we have had, isn't too shabby. I'm looking forward to this game and so should everyone else!

Archived