2015/16 Starter Prediction

AuCivilEng1

Can't believe he was serious about that Jeremy J tirade.... everyone has an opinion but to basically state that we don't have a competent QB on roster...cmon

2009??? Even if we lose Sammie and D'haquille, we still have a better receiving corps than 2009 (and depending on our remaining tight ends' development, that statement might even be more stretched out). If Chris's Todd could put 20+ TDs with that roster, Jeremy can put at least 30 up. That's asking him to basically throw 3 TDs a game, which he's done several times in his 3 starts (I believe there was a touchdown called back in his FAU game). Anyway, Jeremy is a better QB than Chris Todd and Chris Todd broke records

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our biggest issue to resolve is QB. I hope JJ comes on strong. I just have not seen what all the hype is about. I think QB spot is wide open and a freshman could win the job. We need a mobile QB that likes to run...that is not JJ and I don't know if it White either.

we don't need a running QB, and JJ's career stats are 57/78 for 858 with a 9:2 TD:int rate. what does he have to do to impress you?

Against D2 opponents. The only D1 team he has played against was last A-day....that was not too hot. And he is not a runner.

Auburn has never played any D2 opponents. No division 1 school plays D2 opponents. Research is your friend.

Our biggest issue to resolve is QB. I hope JJ comes on strong. I just have not seen what all the hype is about. I think QB spot is wide open and a freshman could win the job. We need a mobile QB that likes to run...that is not JJ and I don't know if it White either.

we don't need a running QB, and JJ's career stats are 57/78 for 858 with a 9:2 TD:int rate. what does he have to do to impress you?

Against D2 opponents. The only D1 team he has played against was last A-day....that was not too hot. And he is not a runner.

Auburn has never played any D2 opponents. No division 1 school plays D2 opponents. Research is your friend.

Showing my age...1-AA; now called FCS opponents...remember Samford? Western Carolina? Go back and watch the A-day film from Spring...and, he does not like to run. Without a running QB threat, the running game does not work; period. I hope he surprises me...however, nothing in his performance to date at Auburn indicates he is a shoe-in to win the starting spot or excel in the SEC in a read-option running attack lead offense.

Then you adjust the running game. MALZAHN HAS HAD MORE THAN READ OPTION RUNNING GAMES.

Even in 2011, Auburn put up 1242 yards (on 5.1 YPC) with Dyer with no throwing game and an extremely limited version of his offense.

You're showing your age in more ways than one.

EDIT: Even 2014 can't be considered too much of a read option offense. It was more of a fake the read option every time and never pull even if you have a 20 yard lane open. Honestly, if we just ran the standard running game more often instead of this facade read option, we'd probably have been better off.

Showing my age...1-AA; now called FCS opponents...remember Samford? Western Carolina? Go back and watch the A-day film from Spring...and, he does not like to run. Without a running QB threat, the running game does not work; period. I hope he surprises me...however, nothing in his performance to date at Auburn indicates he is a shoe-in to win the starting spot or excel in the SEC in a read-option running attack lead offense.

That's interesting....I seem to remember Ben Tate running for around 1400 yards in 2009 w/ Chris Todd as QB. What was that about the running game not working?

You REALLY shouldn't talk football.....or maybe you haven't been watch Auburn play.....

Showing my age...1-AA; now called FCS opponents...remember Samford? Western Carolina?

Still not D2 opponents

Go back and watch the A-day film from Spring...and, he does not like to run.

So you are going to use a SCRIMMAGE to confirm your stance? Really? A SCRIMMAGE. A scrimmage where the QB isn't even live. How do you know the coaches didn't tell him not to run. If he did run, the play is going to be blown dead anyway...See its a SCRIMMAGE...

Without a running QB threat, the running game does not work; period.

Really? This tells me you have an extremely limited knowledge of the game if you really believe that. Ever heard of James Brooks, Joe Cribbs, Brent Fullwood, Bo Jackson, James Bostic, Stacy Danley, Carnell Williams, Kenny Irons, Ben Tate? Not one of those running backs had a "running" QB and they were all extremely successful running the ball. One of them was the greatest ever.

I hope he surprises me...however, nothing in his performance to date at Auburn indicates he is a shoe-in to win the starting spot or excel in the SEC in a read-option running attack lead offense.

Well, if you are going to use extremely LIMITED playing time to make that judgement there's nothing any of us can do for you. It's simply ridiculous is all. The coaches know way more than you do and most here that have some football knowledge believe the job is Johnsons to lose. Could he lose it? sure. How do you know that we are going to run a read-option offense with him at QB? (assuming he wins the starting job). Answer: You don't.

That's interesting....I seem to remember Ben Tate running for around 1400 yards in 2009 w/ Chris Todd as QB. What was that about the running game not working?

Having a 1,000 yard rushing QB AND an SEC leading rusher has raised expectations to an unreasonable degree.

If JJ is the starter he will be running the,"Gus tailored the offense to fit the things that Jeremy Johnson does best offense". A little of this stuff over here, a lot of that stuff over there and a couple of these things on the shelf. It's kind of like getting a custom pair of shoes made just for you that fit like a glove.

If JJ is the starter he will be running the,"Gus tailored the offense to fit the things that Jeremy Johnson does best offense". A little of this stuff over here, a lot of that stuff over there and a couple of these things on the shelf. It's kind of like getting a custom pair of shoes made just for you that fit like a glove.

100% correct!!!

Showing my age...1-AA; now called FCS opponents...remember Samford? Western Carolina?

Still not D2 opponents

Go back and watch the A-day film from Spring...and, he does not like to run.

So you are going to use a SCRIMMAGE to confirm your stance? Really? A SCRIMMAGE. A scrimmage where the QB isn't even live. How do you know the coaches didn't tell him not to run. If he did run, the play is going to be blown dead anyway...See its a SCRIMMAGE...

Without a running QB threat, the running game does not work; period.

Really? This tells me you have an extremely limited knowledge of the game if you really believe that. Ever heard of James Brooks, Joe Cribbs, Brent Fullwood, Bo Jackson, James Bostic, Stacy Danley, Carnell Williams, Kenny Irons, Ben Tate? Not one of those running backs had a "running" QB and they were all extremely successful running the ball. One of them was the greatest ever.

I hope he surprises me...however, nothing in his performance to date at Auburn indicates he is a shoe-in to win the starting spot or excel in the SEC in a read-option running attack lead offense.

Well, if you are going to use extremely LIMITED playing time to make that judgement there's nothing any of us can do for you. It's simply ridiculous is all. The coaches know way more than you do and most here that have some football knowledge believe the job is Johnsons to lose. Could he lose it? sure. How do you know that we are going to run a read-option offense with him at QB? (assuming he wins the starting job). Answer: You don't.

I agree with what you're saying but I believe when he was referring to the running game not working without a running QB, he was talking about under Gus. The point still stands with Dyer and Tate having success though

I agree with the Ironman, even though my attempt at 'quote' somehow went awry.

I get the feeling we will not see very much zone read. We'll see a lot of completed passes, tho, and still have a very good rushing attack. I look forward to seeing how JJ does in an offense tailored for him, not how well he does in an offense tailored for NM. :)

I envision an offense that resembles our 2009 offense with Todd and Tate more than anything we have see more recently.

One nice thing about next year will be that we don't have to throw behind the line or deep every time we throw. With JJ being taller we can throw those short crossing patterns and not have to worry so much about them getting knocked down at the line. Those are much higher % passes as well.

One point that is a fact is a running QB is harder for a d-fence to defend and Gus has been best with that running option.

One point that is a fact is a running QB is harder for a d-fence to defend and Gus has been best with that running option.

Designed draws with JJ and running when passes aren't open should keep the D on its toes. He has decent speed.

Whoever ran an option against our defense was the best at running the option because we haven't stopped that in 3 years.

I think how JJ manages his weight and carries it will play a major decision what we will do on offense.

Anyone who thinks JJ can't run is going to be sadly mistaken. He is no NM as far as being elusive but he has good speed and size to go with it. He hasn't been running much because heis such a great passer, but go back nd watch some of his film from high school. Obviously, we will see less zone read and a lot more short passing game next year but if JJ needs to take off he can do it. And don't forget Sean White has a year in the system and Jason Smith is coming in. We may well see a passing game with JJ and a change of pace guy coming in to run the zone read against teams that are vulnerable to that.

People who say JJ can't run, please watch this video, and remember that the Auburn High defense that year featured both Sr. LB Ruben Foster and Jr. DE Rashaan Evans.

LINK:

Edit: For those wondering, he was 11/18 for 248 yds and 2 TDs passing and 10 carries for 114 yards and 3 TDs rushing

Yep...pretty simple fact. Gus's offenses have competed for championships with a QB that was an integral part of the running game. JJ is not that guy. Maybe Gus will completely change his offense for JJ...we'll see.

JJ put up a lot of yards against FCS opponents...that is a long way from being a proven winner against quality SEC West opponents with the game on the line....that is true of any 1st time QB...not sure why many seem so sure he will deliver...I have seen nothing that provides that assurance. He has the pedigree and physical tools...but so has every 2nd and 3rd team college QB in the history of the game.

We have a talented RS Freshman coming back and incoming Freshmen. From what I've seen, they have equal chance at winning the starting spot.

I could care less who wins the job...but whoever it is will be a difference maker on our aspirations for next year.

We have a talented RS Freshman coming back and incoming Freshmen. From what I've seen, they have equal chance at winning the starting spot.

They do NOT have an "equal chance". Why would it be equal? One guy has been here longer. He's also actually played in games. He's also more physically ready to play. Please explain to me how that is "equal"?

Johnson was ready to start this season and there are quite a few SEC teams who would have loved to have him starting this year.

Yep...pretty simple fact. Gus's offenses have competed for championships with a QB that was an integral part of the running game. JJ is not that guy. Maybe Gus will completely change his offense for JJ...we'll see.

JJ put up a lot of yards against FCS opponents...that is a long way from being a proven winner against quality SEC West opponents with the game on the line....that is true of any 1st time QB...not sure why many seem so sure he will deliver...I have seen nothing that provides that assurance. He has the pedigree and physical tools...but so has every 2nd and 3rd team college QB in the history of the game.

I could care less who wins the job...but whoever it is will be a difference maker on our aspirations for next year.

Ok let me see if I understand....You refuse to acknowledge the arky game so I guess you're just going to say it didn't happen. But you say you will acknowledge the fcs teams or whatever. You say they aren't that good so it means nothing......because he's not a running threat.

Yet you say the redshirt freshman is just as good or equal because he's not a running threat and you watched his film against high school players?

Please go watch the YouTube video I posted in post #121 and tell me again how JJ "isn't that guy". I'm sorry, he ONLY ran for 3 TDs. Dude isn't mobile at all, amirite?

Archived