Visitors for 1/16 weekend

War Eagle77

Regardless of who commits and who doesn't, don't we have to give this staff a ton of credit for even getting a group like this on campus? "Doesn't matter til NSD." There. I said it already, for those who wish to regurgitate it. We all know how a fax machine works. I'm looking for slightly deeper analysis.

I mean, if this guest list actually shows up, would this a historic weekend for Auburn recruiting? Even compared to the BCWs, this seems like something really special. According to 247, that list includes 2 of the top 5 players in the country, 5 of the top 25 and 6 of the top 50.

IMO it doesn't really matter unless we get a couple of those players to sign. They've done a good job being in it with players, but we need to finish on some.

wow...I guess there really is always one.

Make it two. If some don't sign with us, it's wasted money. Could have just as well sent the staff on a fishing trip to Gulf Shores. We've been "in on" a ton of top players over the past three recruiting cycles but there have been more misses than hits. Doesn't mean squat unless we sign some of them.

So.... :) when did getting the pretty girl to go on a first date.... stop being part of the plan ?

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anybody else worried that since this is the first weekend of visits that it won't be fresh on their mind come NSD? There will be at least two other weekends after this one before signing day for teams to leave a lasting impression on these guys.

Is anybody else worried that since this is the first weekend of visits that it won't be fresh on their mind come NSD? There will be at least two other weekends after this one before signing day for teams to leave a lasting impression on these guys.

That is my main concern as well. Maybe our coaching hires will push us over the top and we wont be forgotten by the next weekend.

I'm guessing that's a concession made to getting them all on campus at once. Do I wish we lived in a perfect world where all of these guys spend their last weekend at Auburn? Yes. And I wish they'd bring the top 2 recruits from every SEC West school with them, and I wish they'd have one giant joint press conference where they said, "Suck it, Saban" and pulled out baby tigers in unison.

Does it worry me that they're coming earlier instead? Lord, no! Look at that list!!! I'm grateful that we're getting a group like that together on our campus at all.

That is my main concern as well. Maybe our coaching hires will push us over the top and we wont be forgotten by the next weekend.

My thinking is that getting them in the first weekend shows how important they are and the d-staff will be able to start bonding even more over the next few weeks

Regardless of who commits and who doesn't, don't we have to give this staff a ton of credit for even getting a group like this on campus? "Doesn't matter til NSD." There. I said it already, for those who wish to regurgitate it. We all know how a fax machine works. I'm looking for slightly deeper analysis.

I mean, if this guest list actually shows up, would this a historic weekend for Auburn recruiting? Even compared to the BCWs, this seems like something really special. According to 247, that list includes 2 of the top 5 players in the country, 5 of the top 25 and 6 of the top 50.

IMO it doesn't really matter unless we get a couple of those players to sign. They've done a good job being in it with players, but we need to finish on some.

Make it two. If some don't sign with us, it's wasted money. Could have just as well sent the staff on a fishing trip to Gulf Shores. We've been "in on" a ton of top players over the past three recruiting cycles but there have been more misses than hits. Doesn't mean squat unless we sign some of them.

So.... :) when did getting the pretty girl to go on a first date.... stop being part of the plan ?

When she goes on national TV and says she's going to the dance with somebody else and all of her friends tell you that yes, she does really mean it.

When she goes on national TV and says she's going to the dance with somebody else and all of her friends tell you that yes, she does really mean it.

Huh. Didn't realize all of the visitors that weekend were already committed elsewhere.

Guys almost everybody has more misses then hits. But if you don't even get the players on campus usually you have zero chance of having a hit. As far as recruiting on D side of the Ball last 3 classes have been pretty good and in almost all of them we got a few NSD players that made the class good. Our D issues over last few years have been more on development of the talent then the stars that we have recruited. I agree that as current D class stands today we need help in D-Line for sure a cover Corner and one more linebacker. We need to close strong but we sure are not having a bad recruiting class. There are close to 100 teams that would love to have our class as it stands.

We still have a lot of returning talent on D if we can get each one to play just a little bit better you will see a huge improvement on that side of the ball Coach Boom and Coach T-Rob will help a lot on the development side. I watched the Oregon and Ohio state teams use a lot of creative Blitz's to pressure the QB we haven't done that recently and when we have tried we committed to the blitz to early so it was easier to pick up. I saw LB's chuck the TE then Blitz as one example that allowed them to come in untouched we never seemed to do that.

Guys almost everybody has more misses then hits. But if you don't even get the players on campus usually you have zero chance of having a hit.

Yup.

There are close to 100 teams that would love to have our class as it stands.

True. Unfortunately, many of the teams not included in that 100 are on our schedule. Of the 11 classes ranked above ours by 247, 4 are on our schedule every season. Also, 3 more- Tennessee, Clemson and FSU- are in our region and competing for a lot of the same kids we are (one of the kids just added to the list for next weekend is a UT commit). Doesn't matter if you're faster than the lions if there's a cheetah chasing you.

That said, I think we're going to do some work before the dust settles. I'm optimistic. The weekend of 1/16 could be something we haven't seen before. Even if it's only "semi-successful", any of those kids would swing this class heavily to the good.

Guys almost everybody has more misses then hits. But if you don't even get the players on campus usually you have zero chance of having a hit.

Yup.

True. Unfortunately, many of the teams not included in that 100 are on our schedule. Of the 11 classes ranked above ours by 247, 4 are on our schedule every season. Also, 3 more- Tennessee, Clemson and FSU- are in our region and competing for a lot of the same kids we are (one of the kids just added to the list for next weekend is a UT commit). Doesn't matter if you're faster than the lions if there's a cheetah chasing you.

That said, I think we're going to do some work before the dust settles. I'm optimistic. The weekend of 1/16 could be something we haven't seen before. Even if it's only "semi-successful", any of those kids would swing this class heavily to the good.

I'm not sure you can be optimistic and comment on this thread. Apparently if everything isn't doom and gloom then you must not know what your talking about. I'm standing with you though. I think we are going to end well, for sure we won't get everyone but I think we will get a few of these guys. And at the risk of sounding totally crazy I also think we will be very good next year on both sides of the ball.

No. It seems a lot of schools have a "big" recruiting weekend that is not the last weekend before NSD and that in the past that has really sealed commitments.

Getting the in home before NSD IMO is much more vital.

Yup.

I'm not sure you can be optimistic and comment on this thread. Apparently if everything isn't doom and gloom then you must not know what your talking about. I'm standing with you though. I think we are going to end well, for sure we won't get everyone but I think we will get a few of these guys. And at the risk of sounding totally crazy I also think we will be very good next year on both sides of the ball.

Pat Dye summed it up, "The big dogs walk late." It's easy to settle early and turn in a "good" class, but to have a great class you have to wait for the big dogs. Everyone knows who the big dogs are, so the competition is fierce.

Huh. Didn't realize all of the visitors that weekend were already committed elsewhere.

The subject of the moment was D. Payne. Try to keep up, please.

The subject of the moment was D. Payne. Try to keep up, please.

No, it wasn't. Sigh. All you have to do is look at the brief, highlighted parts of the conversation, Mikey. Damn. The malleable nature your arguing has taken on is a bummer. The smugness and attempts at insult on top of being mistaken are embarrassing.

Yup.

Yes SEC teams were ahead of us but in most cases less than 300 points ahead of us which basically means equal Bama being the one exception they were way ahead of us and everybody else.

No they are going duck hunting in Arkansas.

Yup.

Yes SEC teams were ahead of us but in most cases less than 300 points ahead of us which basically means equal Bama being the one exception they were way ahead of us and everybody else.

I hear ya, but still, we judge ourselves against those teams- bama especially- and not the other 110 or so.

I think you and I ultimately agree that if we fill a few key spots in this class- I know for a fact that we agree what those spots are after reading your thoughts on it elsewhere- with quality guys, then we will be recruiting at a championship level. We still do need to that, though, IMO.

I think we will see some major battles won with the new defensive staff. We will have a great class when it is all over and done. I cannot or will not see it any other way.

According to 247, Payne and Johnson won't be visiting the weekend of the 16th. Payne is visiting Bama, and Johnson OK State. Hope we can get Ivey in for a visit that weekend.

So we replaced a 6'1 190 5* WR we didn't have a chance to sign with a 6'4 190 5* WR we probably don't have a chance to sign. I'm okay with that.

It's a shame about Payne. But if his heart's set, then it's set. Would love to hear of another big time DT sliding into his spot.

According to 247, Payne and Johnson won't be visiting the weekend of the 16th. Payne is visiting Bama, and Johnson OK State. Hope we can get Ivey in for a visit that weekend.

I'm fine with this bc our chances with these two are very slim.

So we replaced a 6'1 190 5* WR we didn't have a chance to sign with a 6'4 190 5* WR we probably don't have a chance to sign. I'm okay with that.

It's a shame about Payne. But if his heart's set, then it's set. Would love to hear of another big time DT sliding into his spot.

I'm fine with this bc our chances with these two are very slim.

Preston Williams looks like a stud. Would love to see him in O&B and would prefer him over Johnson when given the option. The only other DT I could see coming would be Daylon Mack, but he is a long shot.

Archived