Questions for cole256

Proud Tiger

TIMEOUT:

Raptor, this thread is a good opportunity for some honest questions and answers between people of different races who likely have a much different set of personal experiences when it comes to interactions with police and such. Your tone right out of the gate was antagonistic and combative. Proud Tiger's original post was open and much more conducive to reasoned, mature conversation. Please dial it back about 5 clicks.

Everyone: approach this thread in a posture of humility, willingness to learn, listening first and ask questions as if you want an actual answer, not in a way that comes across as either accusatory or that is intended to elicit a particular response that helps you win an argument. Otherwise we're going to shut this down. It's a sensitive discussion and if people can't be more gracious and patient with each other, we'll just nuke it.

Thanks TT I will make it a point to be civil no matter what. I'm actually wanting to learn different views such as why it seems politics and what ones preference seems to also coincide with their views on this subject (I admitted earlier I'm not that educated on politics.

I'm also offering myself up to explain how I may feel with certain things and that may be similar to how many are feeling (even though we know we are all different) but it may help for both sides maybe? I'm younger, I'm black, I'm from north Alabama, I grew up without my father, but I did have my grandfather until he passed and he was my everything.

I've actually had quite a few bad incidents with policemen, I've never been arrested, I don't do drugs,I didn't even experiment with them, I don't drink, if any are familiar with Florence AL I'm from the west side the bad part of town. I have family that's in jail for selling drugs and some for murder. Most of my friends I grew up with have some type of record. I just saw in the times daily news paper the day before yesterday a guy a grew up with was shot multiple times by somebody who apparently wanted to kill him but he lived. I listen to hip hop and rap. I also listen to alternative music because of roommates I met in Auburn. At Auburn the white people I met were some of the nicest most friendly people ever. I only have one kidney. 2011 they found cancer on the one I have. I survived it. I went back and finished school with a nuclear engineering degree. I think I'm an walking argument for ever stereotype ever for a black man. I think there's a purpose for that as well.

I'm far from perfect, I have a temper, I played sports and was known for being pretty good at football and b ball but I had to quit football when I found out I had one kidney. My friends never judged me or tried to make me drink even the worse ones that would be viewed as thugs, I did have a tendency to turn into a different person playing b ball and have been in quite a few fights. I was on Auburn's Orange crush b ball team. We practiced against the men and women. I was approached to possibly walk on the team but unfortunately my grandfather passed and I had to leave Auburn for financial reasons and because I was so messed up when he did. I have quite a few friends on that played football for Auburn some (well one that I still talk to in the nfl) I was pretty well known in the ACT for playing basketball. I was one of the guys that came in and wouldn't sit down more than a game before getting picked up

I write all of this just to show my background and to show who I am and how I am and relate to black youths today and I'm on the forum so I could somewhat be a voice from this group and we don't have to assume quite as much maybe. Thanks

Thanks TT I will make it a point to be civil no matter what. I'm actually wanting to learn different views such as why it seems politics and what ones preference seems to also coincide with their views on this subject (I admitted earlier I'm not that educated on politics.

I'm also offering myself up to explain how I may feel with certain things and that may be similar to how many are feeling (even though we know we are all different) but it may help for both sides maybe? I'm younger, I'm black, I'm from north Alabama, I grew up without my father, but I did have my grandfather until he passed and he was my everything.

I've actually had quite a few bad incidents with policemen, I've never been arrested, I don't do drugs,I didn't even experiment with them, I don't drink, if any are familiar with Florence AL I'm from the west side the bad part of town. I have family that's in jail for selling drugs and some for murder. Most of my friends I grew up with have some type of record. I just saw in the times daily news paper the day before yesterday a guy a grew up with was shot multiple times by somebody who apparently wanted to kill him but he lived. I listen to hip hop and rap. I also listen to alternative music because of roommates I met in Auburn. At Auburn the white people I met were some of the nicest most friendly people ever. I only have one kidney. 2011 they found cancer on the one I have. I survived it. I went back and finished school with a nuclear engineering degree. I think I'm an walking argument for ever stereotype ever for a black man. I think there's a purpose for that as well.

I'm far from perfect, I have a temper, I played sports and was known for being pretty good at football and b ball but I had to quit football when I found out I had one kidney. My friends never judged me or tried to make me drink even the worse ones that would be viewed as thugs, I did have a tendency to turn into a different person playing b ball and have been in quite a few fights. I was on Auburn's Orange crush b ball team. We practiced against the men and women. I was approached to possibly walk on the team but unfortunately my grandfather passed and I had to leave Auburn for financial reasons and because I was so messed up when he did. I have quite a few friends on that played football for Auburn some (well one that I still talk to in the nfl) I was pretty well known in the ACT for playing basketball. I was one of the guys that came in and wouldn't sit down more than a game before getting picked up

I write all of this just to show my background and to show who I am and how I am and relate to black youths today and I'm on the forum so I could somewhat be a voice from this group and we don't have to assume quite as much maybe. Thanks

Thanks for sharing your story-- you've certainly overcome your share of challenges for a young man. I appreciate hearing your perspective.

cole256......do you by any chance know Sonny Hereford, the first black student in Huntsville City Schools? He and I worked together some at NASA.

Yeah I seen a couple of episodes of the show, I've never seen a white lady taken down though. I've also seen video of a white lady (sticking up for a black man who works for her) come get the black man as police question him tell the police to leave him alone and tell them to go away they don't need them to corrupt their peaceful neighborhood.....And the police let her walk away with the man

Let's switch the variables for a second.

cole, give some input on how you perceive black cops? also compared to white officers?

Being a white male I can honestly say that I have never had the smallest problem with an encounter involving a black officer. Only a once or twice have I had problems with what I felt was white officers using the weight of their badge. Another variable is that I encounter white officers greater than 7-1.

I can only speak for what I seen and myself, as far as my personal relationships no. But I fear for my safety more than I ever have from policemen. Don't trust being pulled over by them. Don't trust them walking behind me.

Now just judging from this board no I don't think some of you feel like a black person's life is as important as a white persons. But that's from reading these threads

Every life should matter....color be damned. I am extremely passionate about this personally and I have lived it my entire life through my life's work. I think it's easier to find fault in this world than it is to find goodness because the narrative out there feeds the negative.

Thanks for sharing your story-- you've certainly overcome your share of challenges for a young man. I appreciate hearing your perspective.

I concur. Thanks for sharing.

I'm the typical white southern born male but what made me atypical is that my friends in school were 50/50 black and white....in a school that might have been 8-9% black. My best friends were black, and they are still my friends to this day. I used to be a cop. I saw some bad apples in my office, but the majority of them were good cops and fair to everyone. The bad cops spoil the bunch because society allows the minority to outshine the majority. I'm sure there are some bad departments out there....that's a given. But I don't personally see the majority being gun slingers or badge wearing bullies. Just my experience.

I really thought about that and get that. I have no stats or what not but I think there are quite a few more good cops than bad. But when one mess up it casts a shadow on all. Me being a young black male I get mad when there is always the worst being portrayed on T.v. And if it's not fair to me then it's only natural there are so many policemen that have to feel the same way

Yeah I seen a couple of episodes of the show, I've never seen a white lady taken down though. I've also seen video of a white lady (sticking up for a black man who works for her) come get the black man as police question him tell the police to leave him alone and tell them to go away they don't need them to corrupt their peaceful neighborhood.....And the police let her walk away with the man

cole, give some input on how you perceive black cops? also compared to white officers?

Being a white male I can honestly say that I have never had the smallest problem with an encounter involving a black officer. Only a once or twice have I had problems with what I felt was white officers using the weight of their badge. Another variable is that I encounter white officers greater than 7-1.

I've never had any interactions with any except for one in Virginia and he gave me a speeding ticket I deserved lol. He actually wrote my speed down a little so I wouldn't get in bigger trouble told me to slow down and told me there was another officer somewhere up ahead and if I was speeding when he saw me he would kick my butt lol. There are three that are known in Florence pretty well, they don't have the best reputations on the street. Heard one in particular pretty much enjoys when clubs get out of hand and he will give you quite the hurt if he gets his hands on you

As far as white policemen in Florence I've actually only had problems with some young guys. Once me and my girl was pulled over by an older guy and he admitted something had happened on the radio and my car was similar to a description and he said he was so sorry. He was pretty upset about it and my girl started crying (you know girls) and asked to give him a hug and it was ok. From then every time I saw him we'd speak.

Worse situation I had and I promise I'm not lying or exaggerating at all, I had been recovering from my surgery to remove the mass off my kidney but I was able to drive now but I still hurt bad. I'll never forget I was coming from Wed night church service it was about 9. My pastor is actually my cousin and he mad been talking to me since about everything since I've been out the hospital. Police pulled me over, he asked where I was coming from, what church I was coming from, why was I coming so late, why was I coming from that direction, where was I headed, told him to get something to eat then going over my girl's. He asked what restaurant, why was I going this way if I'm headed to that restaurant, where did my girl stay, said something about here staying far out the way.....by time he asked the last question I laughed and said what does that matter? He said calm down but I didn't show signs of anger.

He told me to get out of the car he seemed stunned at my size once I got out he then slammed me against my car and he kicked my shoe so hard that I almost fell. It hurt my side pretty bad, I still had stitches in and the way he jerked me caused my side to start bleeding a little.

He then yelled at me to go to his car where there was another young officer there and he was looking at me like sorry...As I limped to the car he yelled at me to hurry up. He searched my car which was pretty quick because I keep my car very clean and organized and he told me not to stay out too late when he left. He didn't even tell me why he pulled me over....

I just went straight home, I filed a complaint the next day and I never heard anything else about it

thx for the background. i feel like i know you better now. i look forward to asking some questions. you seem pretty honest and they dont give Nuclear Engineering Degrees to dummies.

thx for the background. i feel like i know you better now. i look forward to asking some questions. you seem pretty honest and they dont give Nuclear Engineering Degrees to dummies.

Thanks man but don't judge me when some of my football analysis are way off lol

cole256......do you by any chance know Sonny Hereford, the first black student in Huntsville City Schools? He and I worked together some at NASA.

No I don't. I just lived in Madison for about two years in high school. Went to Bob Jones. Now if I'm in Madison it's because my girlfriend stays here and I'm visiting her

If any of you are familiar with Florence and heard of Bunyan's bbq he's actually my great uncle. It's on my dad's side of the family though so I wasn't that close to him but he spoke to me every time he saw me and was always interested in me going to Auburn

And well I'm not really too political, I'm not educated enough about it and I'm ashamed as I know it's time I should be, but I don't understand why it's so this side of the fence or the other side. It's like every conservative on here can't say the police could have handled this situation a little better

I am 42(it is strange to type that, time flies) i didnt take interest in much politics till last 8-10 years myself. so i am uneducated as well. l learn something everyday. However i have almost always voted democrat and i'm certainly not conservative. I do see that the cop could have and should have LET GO of his neck much sooner. The first video i saw of this started a minute sooner than the one linked on this site and i understand the confrontation with eric garner had been going on for several minutes before they used force. My opinion is that he was given more than enough opportunity to comply with the officers. He was not fighting them but made it clear he was not going to cooperate. they did their job. they did not want to wrestle this 350# man to the ground they had to. I have no problem with a cop using that choke hold to control a suspect but like i said earlier he had him subdued a while before he let go. I think this cop has probably done this dozens of times before and not killed anyone. this guy was just so fat and unhealthy he couldnt take it. I hate it for his family that he died he was probably not a bad guy at all. his family seem like good people. but he put himself in that position to be forcefully subdued. as for the cop, my opinion is he should be written up, retrained, maybe suspended but i think it is ridiculous to formally charge him for murder or manslaughter for not knowing when to turn off the switch. It wasnt his choice to turn it on.

The policeman that applied the choke hold had already been in trouble twice for not following procedure. After he saw he had injured Garner he smiled and waved....He didn't care or show any remorse. It was also ruled a homicide that the choke hold played a part with him dying. They talked that guy who had his gun out with children for almost an hour so what if they had to keep taking to Garner, you have to take into account there was confusion and fear involved in this and unless he showed some type of aggression why is a choke hold needed. And to keep choking someone just literally for the heck of it doesn't seem right.

The policeman that applied the choke hold had already been in trouble twice for not following procedure. After he saw he had injured Garner he smiled and waved....He didn't care or show any remorse. It was also ruled a homicide that the choke hold played a part with him dying. They talked that guy who had his gun out with children for almost an hour so what if they had to keep taking to Garner, you have to take into account there was confusion and fear involved in this and unless he showed some type of aggression why is a choke hold needed. And to keep choking someone just literally for the heck of it doesn't seem right.

i am not aware of the other instance you mention.

I read it, I can't remember the guys name that applied the choke hold....My mind is blank right now for some reason

I've never had any interactions with any except for one in Virginia and he gave me a speeding ticket I deserved lol. He actually wrote my speed down a little so I wouldn't get in bigger trouble told me to slow down and told me there was another officer somewhere up ahead and if I was speeding when he saw me he would kick my butt lol. There are three that are known in Florence pretty well, they don't have the best reputations on the street. Heard one in particular pretty much enjoys when clubs get out of hand and he will give you quite the hurt if he gets his hands on you

As far as white policemen in Florence I've actually only had problems with some young guys. Once me and my girl was pulled over by an older guy and he admitted something had happened on the radio and my car was similar to a description and he said he was so sorry. He was pretty upset about it and my girl started crying (you know girls) and asked to give him a hug and it was ok. From then every time I saw him we'd speak.

Worse situation I had and I promise I'm not lying or exaggerating at all, I had been recovering from my surgery to remove the mass off my kidney but I was able to drive now but I still hurt bad. I'll never forget I was coming from Wed night church service it was about 9. My pastor is actually my cousin and he mad been talking to me since about everything since I've been out the hospital. Police pulled me over, he asked where I was coming from, what church I was coming from, why was I coming so late, why was I coming from that direction, where was I headed, told him to get something to eat then going over my girl's. He asked what restaurant, why was I going this way if I'm headed to that restaurant, where did my girl stay, said something about here staying far out the way.....by time he asked the last question I laughed and said what does that matter? He said calm down but I didn't show signs of anger.

He told me to get out of the car he seemed stunned at my size once I got out he then slammed me against my car and he kicked my shoe so hard that I almost fell. It hurt my side pretty bad, I still had stitches in and the way he jerked me caused my side to start bleeding a little.

He then yelled at me to go to his car where there was another young officer there and he was looking at me like sorry...As I limped to the car he yelled at me to hurry up. He searched my car which was pretty quick because I keep my car very clean and organized and he told me not to stay out too late when he left. He didn't even tell me why he pulled me over....

I just went straight home, I filed a complaint the next day and I never heard anything else about it

Well I just can't understand why you might possibly get nervous about cops.

:drippingsarcasm7pa:

Cops acting thuggishly ? I'll listen to that pov.

Saying it was BECAUSE of a persons skin color , in the examples listed above? Sorry, you'll lose me unless you can show me more.

That's begging the question. While there are obviously some people who feel whatever happened was "because" of skin color, more thoughtful people - including many on this forum - are not saying that all. Most of us recognize this is far, far more complicated that "he did it because they were black."

Race is just one component in the "brew" that formulates our responses in the real world. Race simply factors in with many other factors - including training, education, social experience, intelligence and stress - that determines how a policeman - or anyone else - reacts in a situation. It has been demonstrated scientifically that such a component exists. Unfortunately, thanks to our history it's an integral part of the American condition. The socio-economic statistics for black people probably play a role as well.

Regardless, trying to fit every incident into the simple dichotomy of "was it because of race or not", is far too simplistic to be useful.

The discussion, IMO, should be about recognizing and addressing that component whenever it rears it's head, to whatever extent.

:drippingsarcasm7pa:/>

Cole, you really should have demanded a response. If this was county the sheriff would want to know this. They MUST tell you why you were stopped.

And well I'm not really too political, I'm not educated enough about it and I'm ashamed as I know it's time I should be, but I don't understand why it's so this side of the fence or the other side. It's like every conservative on here can't say the police could have handled this situation a little better

I am 42(it is strange to type that, time flies) i didnt take interest in much politics till last 8-10 years myself. so i am uneducated as well. l learn something everyday. However i have almost always voted democrat and i'm certainly not conservative. I do see that the cop could have and should have LET GO of his neck much sooner. The first video i saw of this started a minute sooner than the one linked on this site and i understand the confrontation with eric garner had been going on for several minutes before they used force. My opinion is that he was given more than enough opportunity to comply with the officers. He was not fighting them but made it clear he was not going to cooperate. they did their job. they did not want to wrestle this 350# man to the ground they had to. I have no problem with a cop using that choke hold to control a suspect but like i said earlier he had him subdued a while before he let go. I think this cop has probably done this dozens of times before and not killed anyone. this guy was just so fat and unhealthy he couldnt take it. I hate it for his family that he died he was probably not a bad guy at all. his family seem like good people. but he put himself in that position to be forcefully subdued. as for the cop, my opinion is he should be written up, retrained, maybe suspended but i think it is ridiculous to formally charge him for murder or manslaughter for not knowing when to turn off the switch. It wasnt his choice to turn it on.

He put himself in a position to be taken down with a choke hold that ultimately killed him? :-\

I didn't see him offer any violent resistance. What was the big hurry to subdue him? Seems to me like they could have talked more.

If we are just going to write this off as an unfortunate outcome when protocol was followed, then we damn well ought to be questioning the protocol.

The cop(s) could have used another form of subduction in my experienced opinion. I would have used a taser or pepper spray if he didn't obey my request and resisted.

:drippingsarcasm7pa:/>

Cole, you really should have demanded a response. If this was county the sheriff would want to know this. They MUST tell you why you were stopped.

Think of the time and emotional commitment that would be required to pursue "satisfaction". Not to mention the potential attention from the press or media.

I am not surprised he would simply elect to "get over it" (as some on this forum like to advise).

Archived