Cuba-- US Corporations owed billions

TexasTiger

Is anyone naïve enough to believe Cuba will give it back?

These things are negotiated-- usually pennies on the dollar, perhaps favorable tax treatment, etc., but it will be complicated.

These things are negotiated-- usually pennies on the dollar, perhaps favorable tax treatment, etc., but it will be complicated.

In this case, if it is negotiated, it'll be "zero" to the dollar. Cuba doesn't have the financial ability to make ANY of that right.

In this case, if it is negotiated, it'll be "zero" to the dollar. Cuba doesn't have the financial ability to make ANY of that right.

Could be land/lease or tax breaks to companies wanting to return.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to return if I was a CFO or CEO of any meaningful company.

Honestly, I wouldn't want to return if I was a CFO or CEO of any meaningful company.

Depends on the business, I guess.

.....and lib politicians.............

One of your more in depth posts.

Will this ever stop???? Na! :cool:

I mentioned this was the reason for sanctions starting in 1959 in another thread and was basically called a colonialist.

No you didn't. At least if you are talking about the exchange of what America's Cuban policy consists of.

You said that recovering American company assets was the (sole) basis of our Cuba policy.

But to your point, if that was the policy, how effective was the 50+ years of sanctions?

As long as Cuba is communist, they won't get everything back. The best they can hope for is favorable treatment if they setup similar businesses in Cuba. There are numerous American businesses that will probably go down there just to start tourist businesses. Others will want to build wireless networks if the commies allow it.

There were western owned businesses in China too, which will never be returned to their owners.

China allows western business in, but selectively. They don't allow any foreign communications companies to operate there.

As long as Cuba is communist, they won't get everything back. The best they can hope for is favorable treatment if they setup similar businesses in Cuba. There are numerous American businesses that will probably go down there just to start tourist businesses. Others will want to build wireless networks if the commies allow it.

There were western owned businesses in China too, which will never be returned to their owners.

China allows western business in, but selectively. They don't allow any foreign communications companies to operate there.

Would you?

I mentioned this was the reason for sanctions starting in 1959 in another thread and was basically called a colonialist.

No you didn't. At least if you are talking about the exchange of what America's Cuban policy consists of.

You said that recovering American company assets was the (sole) basis of our Cuba policy.

But to your point, if that was the policy, how effective was the 50+ years of sanctions?

Its incredible that America's greatest asset is they forget very quickly - it is also our greatest weakness. Just admit I was right, you will feel better about yourself and you will set a good example for your cat?

And now there are new western-owned businesses in China. So the moral is, get over it.

Its incredible that America's greatest asset is they forget very quickly - it is also our greatest weakness. Just admit I was right, you will feel better about yourself and you will set a good example for your cat?

First you didn't answer my question: Assuming our policy was to restore the losses to American-owned business - which of course it wasn't, but for the sake of debate, let's assume it was - how effective was it?

So what exactly are you claiming you are right about? Your definition of our policy?

Wasn't a declaration of our policy actually posted earlier?

Yes I told you the policy days before, typical that you defend a point until proven wrong and then deny saying anything? Like all liberals and conservatives you have blinders on and can't see anything but your own view.

.....and lib politicians.............

One of your more in depth posts.

Will this ever stop???? Na! :cool:/>

Even a blind squirrel.......

Is the government responsible for protecting the foreign assets of Americans?

Thank you. That's where I was going.

Gov't bailouts to individuals. NO!

Gov't bailouts to business owners who made a bad decision? YES. Even to the point of deploying our military.

Is the government responsible for protecting the foreign assets of Americans?

Thank you. That's where I was going.

Gov't bailouts to individuals. NO!

Gov't bailouts to business owners who made a bad decision? YES. Even to the point of deploying our military.

Maybe that is one reason why we have progressive tax rates? Perhaps the rich and powerful utilize more government than the average joe.

La Cosa Nostra lost millions when Castro threw them out of the country too!

I know the Mafia isn't as powerful today as it was in the late 1950's, but I'd still be worried if they came calling! :big:

[On the other hand, if they couldn't successfully get to Fidel in the 1960's, maybe Raul has nothing to fear...]

Archived