Like Father Like Daughter

Proud Tiger

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the thing is the police were detaining garner for something he didn't do....

no. if you listen to the video garner said "I didn't sell nothing", he also referenced "I told ya'll last time......." . There was an altercation that he was the peacemaker in. Which tells me he was not a bad guy. It was probably pure coincidence that he is bootlegging cigs on the street where fight breaks out. But his occupation was a bootlegger. that is pretty clear.

I mean he was arrested lots of times for it so I have no doubt that he did cigs or whatever, I'm just saying the initial reason they came was because of the altercation not because of selling cigs.

Actually now that I think about it, how would you prove somebody seeking cigs? You'd have to actually catch the hand to hand wouldn't you? Because it's not like you can book somebody selling cigs for intent right?

But the thing is the police were detaining garner for something he didn't do....

All i ever heard was that it was about the sales of single cigs and tax law.

Actually now that I think about it, how would you prove somebody seeking cigs? You'd have to actually catch the hand to hand wouldn't you? Because it's not like you can book somebody selling cigs for intent right?

If he's selling cigs and not paying taxes on them, that'd be a reason. He was cited for exactly that before, numerous times. Not EVERY time he was arrested was it for that, but I'm guessing a fair bit, as the other stores in the area had complained. I've not heard that he was confronted by the cops for any other reason than illegal sales of cigs. Seems the simple matter of whether there were cigs on his cart ( kiosk, what ever ) or not would solve that matter up quick enough. No real mystery , it seems.

There was a fight that he broke up before the police was called. That's why they responded you know they wouldn't send 4 policemen for cigs. So garner was upset because he felt like he was being detained for something he didn't do. Now of course you still have to obey officers but as you can imagine this is why he was upset.

Now this part is an opinion but I don't know.....Once I again I'm not saying I know just going off my experiences. What I think happened is this guy is a trouble maker or at least a criminal about other things as fighting isn't his MO. Get him on something else to detain him long enough to find out what's going on (similar to pulling you over for a tag light and searching your car for something like drugs or alcohol)

If he's selling cigs and not paying taxes on them, that'd be a reason. He was cited for exactly that before, numerous times. Not EVERY time he was arrested was it for that, but I'm guessing a fair bit, as the other stores in the area had complained. I've not heard that he was confronted by the cops for any other reason than illegal sales of cigs. Seems the simple matter of whether there were cigs on his cart ( kiosk, what ever ) or not would solve that matter up quick enough. No real mystery , it seems.

LOL! :laugh:

You were one of the crowd that was so indignant about the Feds showing up armed to remove Cliven Bundy's cattle after failing to pay over a million $ in grazing fees.

Guess the feds should have just choked Bundy to death.

There was a fight that he broke up before the police was called. That's why they responded you know they wouldn't send 4 policemen for cigs. So garner was upset because he felt like he was being detained for something he didn't do. Now of course you still have to obey officers but as you can imagine this is why he was upset.

Now this part is an opinion but I don't know.....Once I again I'm not saying I know just going off my experiences. What I think happened is this guy is a trouble maker or at least a criminal about other things as fighting isn't his MO. Get him on something else to detain him long enough to find out what's going on (similar to pulling you over for a tag light and searching your car for something like drugs or alcohol)

you are right. fighting was not his MO. That was a coincidence. two officers were trying to detain him peacefully at first. he made it clear he was not cooperating so they waited for backup and then took him forcefully. They did say they saw him sell a cig. That is not too hard to believe. It's is also not surprising that he was denying it. I am in no way defending the tax law or city requirements for selling tobacco. But i do sympathize with the legit merchants who complained to begin with. The LEOs were doing what they had to do. he was not being arrested for breaking up a fight. he knew exactly why he was being arrested.

LOL! :laugh:

You were one of the crowd that was so indignant about the Feds showing up armed to remove Cliven Bundy's cattle after failing to pay over a million $ in grazing fees.

Guess the feds should have just choked Bundy to death.

i would have been ok with that. :-\ actually they should have blown the guy pointing the assault rifle at the feds to hell and back.

Archived