White Father Lists 7 Things He Can Do That His Biracial Son Can’t

DKW 86

http://www.liberalamerica.org/2014/12/27/white-father-lists-7-things-he-can-do-that-his-biracial-son-cant/

1. I Can Walk Through A Store Without Being Followed – So many blacks and people of color have personally told stories of being followed in stores, especially higher-end ones. Even rich black people have been handcuffed on suspicious of fraud. Henneick says he has never worried about this.

2. I Can Succeed Without It Being Attributed To My Race – Hennick describes how his wife was told that she must have gotten accepted to Boston College because she was black and because of affirmative action. Hennick says that because he is white, people just assume that he has earned his achievements on his own merit.

3. I Learned About My Ancestors’ History In School – We never learn about Africa in regular history classes. We learn a lot about Europeans and their contributions though. We barely learn any real history about the black experience in the United States.

4. I Can Lose My Temper In Traffic – A person once told Hennick that, in regards to a traffic confrontation, she was scared of the driver because he was a “big black guy.” Black people can’t afford to be angry without all of the negative stereotypes being perpetuated onto them; “dangerous” is a term that can be an effect of this, leading to dangerous outcomes. Hennick states that he can get heated and no one thinks about his race. In other words, he does not then become the “angry big white guy.”

5. I Can Loiter In Wealthy Neighborhoods – Hennick says he has never had the cops called on him for being “suspicious” but that his wife (who is of color) cannot say the same. Blacks are often seen as not belonging. It is why Trayvon was stalked and harassed. It is why Professor Henry Gates was arrested for trying to get into his own house.

6. I Can Complain About Racism – Whites can complain about the numerous issues facing communities of color and how racism plays a part in these realities. But when Henneck complains, he isn’t accused of “playing the race card” like many people of color are.

7. I Can Count On Being Met On My Own Terms – Simply put, Hennick says that if he is being treated badly, he never has to think about whether this could be because of his race. But sadly, this is something people of color ponder often.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A wise man once said "judge a man not by skin color but by the content of his character"... If you are a good person, you are a good person. If you are a jerk..... Racism is an issue of the heart. It can not be legislated away. We each must take personal responsibility ( I know , that is a strange concept to some).......

http://www.liberalam...acial-son-cant/

1. I Can Walk Through A Store Without Being Followed – So many blacks and people of color have personally told stories of being followed in stores, especially higher-end ones. Even rich black people have been handcuffed on suspicious of fraud. Henneick says he has never worried about this.

2. I Can Succeed Without It Being Attributed To My Race – Hennick describes how his wife was told that she must have gotten accepted to Boston College because she was black and because of affirmative action. Hennick says that because he is white, people just assume that he has earned his achievements on his own merit.

3. I Learned About My Ancestors’ History In School – We never learn about Africa in regular history classes. We learn a lot about Europeans and their contributions though. We barely learn any real history about the black experience in the United States.

4. I Can Lose My Temper In Traffic – A person once told Hennick that, in regards to a traffic confrontation, she was scared of the driver because he was a “big black guy.” Black people can’t afford to be angry without all of the negative stereotypes being perpetuated onto them; “dangerous” is a term that can be an effect of this, leading to dangerous outcomes. Hennick states that he can get heated and no one thinks about his race. In other words, he does not then become the “angry big white guy.”

5. I Can Loiter In Wealthy Neighborhoods – Hennick says he has never had the cops called on him for being “suspicious” but that his wife (who is of color) cannot say the same. Blacks are often seen as not belonging. It is why Trayvon was stalked and harassed. It is why Professor Henry Gates was arrested for trying to get into his own house.

6. I Can Complain About Racism – Whites can complain about the numerous issues facing communities of color and how racism plays a part in these realities. But when Henneck complains, he isn’t accused of “playing the race card” like many people of color are.

7. I Can Count On Being Met On My Own Terms – Simply put, Hennick says that if he is being treated badly, he never has to think about whether this could be because of his race. But sadly, this is something people of color ponder often.

1. I suspect most blacks are paranoid of being followed, act suspicious because they think they're being followed, and that alerts others to follow them, because they are acting suspicious. Self fulfilling prophecy.

2. Affirmative Action has seen to it that more unqualified applicants are accepted simply because of their skin color.

3. Overrated. Europeans have had a more structured social history thanks to centuries old existence of counties. And besides, most Americans come from dirt poor rabble themselves, who were lowly 'common folk ' in the old country, but came here to start anew.

4. Blacks , statistically, are more prone to violence. Prove that stat wrong.

5. Wear shabby, pulled down pants, and look generally scruffy, you'll get asked to move along, regardless.

6. Blacks are every bit as racist as anyone else, but in fact, they ARE the only ones who can complain about it. White guy does it, he's automatically a racist.

7. Sadly, some black folks use that to their benefit, pulling out the race card at even the least perceived hint of being slighted.

I believe some people spend their entire lives looking to be a victim. I also believe there are places in the world (not just America....Europeans and Asians are more racist than we are) where race plays a more direct part in the lives of some and how society deals with the issues of race.

Lol. There Auraptor there is like no way on earth you don't have a problem with black people...

And if you go by the definition of racism there is no way a black person can be racist. Now maybe prejudice

Lol. There Auraptor there is like no way on earth you don't have a problem with black people...

And if you go by the definition of racism there is no way a black person can be racist. Now maybe prejudice

So ... Would you not agree that al sharpton is racist?

I have problems with anyone who doesn't think for themselves and only sees things though the eyes of a collective. You want to call me names because of that, that's all on you.

There is one and only one definition of 'racism'. The inherent belief that one group of people is genetically predisposed to be superior to all others.

Anyone can be a racist. It's on display, every day, all around the world.

If you truly believe that blacks can't be racist, then you yourself, ARE a racist.

IMO racism = privilege + power. That's why I believe what I believe

Well, that IS a thing, but it isn't the definition of racism.

So ... Would you not agree that al sharpton is racist?

To be honest I don't listen to anything he says so I'd be doing a disservice to you speaking on him. Ithink he is about the money more than concern. But that actually doesn't mean everything he says or everything he's attached tois bad. but I will say two things I believe, well actually one I believe and one I know. First thing that I know. Sharpton doesn't have anywhere near the influence you all make him out to have. He is looked at as a joke by more of the African American community than anything.

Now what I believe, I feel that no matter what you guys would have something to say about ANY black leader speaking out about injustice right now. Hell look at how mad your buddy gets with me just from talking on here. Fact is if anybody speaks out on injustice you guys somehow don't see any wrong doing in the Martin, Brown, or Garner case. Because the new thing now is not to say equality is wrong now it doesn't exist. Now if anybody brings up anything it's a roll of eyes and it's somebody looking for racism and they are paranoid about it.

Dr. King and Malcolm X could be alive and replacing Sharpton today and you would speak against them to because there is no mistake about it, they wouldn't sit pat at these situations. Actually Malcolm X predicted this a long long time ago. As far as media eventually giving police ordinance to kill a black man in public and it be justified. That's exactly what it lead to.

MLK -smart man who lived his life to accomplish things in the most peaceful way possible. Mx made no attempt to hide his utter disdain for whites. It is dishonest to compare the two. IMHO. Racism is not a thought process. it is hatred of another race. It's a heart issue.

MLK -smart man who lived his life to accomplish things in the most peaceful way possible. Mx made no attempt to hide his utter disdain for whites. It is dishonest to compare the two. IMHO. Racism is not a thought process. it is hatred of another race. It's a heart issue.

Wasn't the reason Malcolm X killed by NoI , under the orders of Louis Farrakhan? And wasn't the reason for the 'hit' was that he , X , was softening his tone towards the white devils, and the NoI wanted to start a race war ?

Wasn't the reason Malcolm X killed by NoI , under the orders of Louis Farrakhan? And wasn't the reason for the 'hit' was that he , X , was softening his tone towards the white devils, and the NoI wanted to start a race war ?

Yes he was killed by them but what's your point? Or at least no questions about who killed MLK?

And no the reasons he was killed was because he stopped speaking he started to disagree with things they said. But the first is when he spoke on the assassination of JFK. And the nol never wanted a race war, they preached separation but they also didn't agree with turning the other cheek.....Now some white people at that time wanted a race war for things such as blacks not having equality, or freedom in general....things that will cause a war

Ummm dishonest isn't the word you wanted to use there, at least I hope it wasn't. Your opinions of Malcolm X is your own of course and nobody can change them but Malcolm X is one of the greatest leaders ever IMO. I didn't agree with everything he said in the beginning but once he broke away from the nation of Islam there wasn't a better leader. And you can't really judge him by today's standards he grew up in a time where he couldn't eat in the same restaurants, use the same restrooms, or even drink from the same water fountain. His mother was raped by the kkk, his father was killed by them....he just didn't trust white people so he preached separation. It's wrong but IMO it's not as bad as believing a person is less thananother, attacking aanother based on color, etc....

You have two kids and always give one the best things, show one more love, brag and boast on one more than another and watch what happens.....it's as old as Cain and able; Jacob and Esau, Joseph and his many brothers. I don't really see how you can be mad at somebody who hates injustice. I NEVER see anybody talk about this counties forefathers and how they were wrong about their actions towards the King of England. And that was just taxation.....war because of money, what you think will happen when you try to value a man 1/6th of another? Hate. War. Bloodshed.

Yes he was killed by them but what's your point? Or at least no questions about who killed MLK?

That was my point, on X. Per Wiki, it says some racial epethets were yelled out before X was killed, as if an attempt was made to blame whitey for the murder. It was, as you stated, NoI,

They yelled out get your hand out of my pocket to cause distress in the crowd and draw security attention away from Malcolm....it would have been hard to blame whitey at that event...since there weren't hardly any there....blame whitey sounds good though because of course black people was going around blaming white people.....white people were the victims, especially in the 50 and 60's

If we continue to live in the past the future will continue to look like he past.......

True but if the issue isn't something you haven't been through it's hard to say get over it. This stuff didn't even happen a long time ago. My mom went though this, it's not even a good generation old. And seeing people killed without any type of punishment or anything surely won't help....But hell I guess if it didn't ever effect me I'd be talking and saying hurry up and move on as well....

They yelled out get your hand out of my pocket to cause distress in the crowd and draw security attention away from Malcolm....it would have been hard to blame whitey at that event...since there weren't hardly any there....blame whitey sounds good though because of course black people was going around blaming white people.....white people were the victims, especially in the 50 and 60's

They yelled more than just that, but WHY ? That's the point YOU'RE over looking. The 'angry white man' syndrome was such an easy thing to fall back on, it was used as a distraction, as you claim. But that still doesn't answer the question as to why X was assassinated. Merely not speaking out or disagreeing w/ the NoI ? Really ? I'm thinking it was a more egregious offense than that.

I'm still fuzzy as to the role Louis Farrakhan had in all this, and why he wasn't charged with something. Or was he ?

True but if the issue isn't something you haven't been through it's hard to say get over it. This stuff didn't even happen a long time ago. My mom went though this, it's not even a good generation old. And seeing people killed without any type of punishment or anything surely won't help....But hell I guess if it didn't ever effect me I'd be talking and saying hurry up and move on as well....

I've never lived where blacks had separate water fountains, bathrooms or were denied the right to vote, sit at a lunch counter, etc...

I"m older than you, cole, by a good bit, and those things I've listed are completely foreign to me. I'm a native of the South, fwiw.

Not saying the world is perfect and shiny, but I do think many focus too far into the past to see the world we live in today.

They yelled more than just that, but WHY ? That's the point YOU'RE over looking. The 'angry white man' syndrome was such an easy thing to fall back on, it was used as a distraction, as you claim. But that still doesn't answer the question as to why X was assassinated. Merely not speaking out or disagreeing w/ the NoI ? Really ? I'm thinking it was a more egregious offense than that.

I'm still fuzzy as to the role Louis Farrakhan had in all this, and why he wasn't charged with something. Or was he ?

I'm not overlooking anything. They yelled N.....get your hand out of my pocket, it had absolutely NOTHING to do with a white man and the fact that you are insinuating it is hilarious. If there aren't any white people there then how would a white person be blamed?

And yes Malcolm was the voice of the nation, if so yes if he doesn't agree and say what they want to hear it's a big problem....why would that be hard to believe?

I've never lived where blacks had separate water fountains, bathrooms or were denied the right to vote, sit at a lunch counter, etc...

I"m older than you, cole, by a good bit, and those things I've listed are completely foreign to me. I'm a native of the South, fwiw.

Not saying the world is perfect and shiny, but I do think many focus too far into the past to see the world we live in today.

My mom told me the other day about some of here experiences and she's in her early 50's but the point of me even bringing up the past is one I said what Malcolm X went through and saw HAD to play a role in his mentality; and there are quite a few people in the world we live in today that's not too far removed from being mistreated and I imagine that would play a part on how they act in the world today

I'm not overlooking anything. They yelled N.....get your hand out of my pocket, it had absolutely NOTHING to do with a white man and the fact that you are insinuating it is hilarious. If there aren't any white people there then how would a white person be blamed?

And yes Malcolm was the voice of the nation, if so yes if he doesn't agree and say what they want to hear it's a big problem....why would that be hard to believe?

You left out the "N" part in the earlier reply. How is it hilarious ? The fact that they yelled something like that only as a diversion makes my point. Why would a black man be yelling " N - get your hand out of my pocket " ?? Explain that part to me, if it wasn't to get folks riled up, thinking some white guy was there to cause trouble.

And a problem, sure, I get. But enough to kill the man?

I guess the problems w/ Islam, regardless of faction, run deeper than most want to admit. :gofig:

My mom told me the other day about some of here experiences and she's in her early 50's but the point of me even bringing up the past is one I said what Malcolm X went through and saw HAD to play a role in his mentality; and there are quite a few people in the world we live in today that's not too far removed from being mistreated and I imagine that would play a part on how they act in the world today

And while that statement may be true, I don't deny it, I still can't imagine it. I get that it's important to see things from those who lived it, but to be honest, 50-60 year olds and younger don't have any life experiences which they can relate to when it comes to such racism. Pretty soon, just like slavery, we'll have a nation full of folks who never knew of such things.

I'd think that's what we'd all want, but to be honest, I think a few want to keep focusing on such things too much. Just my 2 cents.

Malcolm X was the influence that you guys want make believe Sharpton is. He was able to speak out on a national level things that certain people could be killed for. Yeah it was big enough to know they world kill him. Fbi had an informant in leadership in the Islam group and they had lines tapped. If there was another reason people would know....

You're not understanding....there weren't white people at this event.....nobody could think it was a white person....unfortunately there are some black people that call others that word which I'm not about to argue about and discuss but just as easy as you was wrong about somebody trying to blame the white man that's how easyyou can be about doing that today

Archived