Outback Bowl Postgame Thread

PCBAuburnaFan

People questioning Gus have to be trolls of some sort. Offense scored 31. Would've been a lot more with a mediocre defense, just couldn't grt back on the field. Wisconsin made a couple of plays in OT when we didn't. That's football. It should jave never got to that point.

Im sorry but if you dont think Gus' playcalling has been suspect at times this season idk what to tell you. Repeated screens that havent worked all game, wrap around draw that hasnt worked in years, but yet to no CAP or jet sweep to ricardo that worked?

Not every play works everytime. Screens have worked as often as they have not. Just like a run up the middle. Sometimes for one yard, other times for a huge gain. 31 points should win you a game. How many times did we punt? Maybe 4?. No turnovers either. You can't expect to be a NC contender when you have a defense giving up 33 plus the last 6 games of the year.

The bubble screen has worked this year? I think I missed that..... to say the WR screens have worked out as often as they have not is absurd.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Watching our D made me physically ill. although they showed real spine on the last couple of series including OT. I hope Coach Boom took copious notes today.

2. O play calling today was not the creative series of plays that we have come to expect.

3. Our HUNH series in second quarter was by far the best we played all day. We then seemed to get away from it as game went on. Its obvious we do better the faster we play...its a real weapon we keep on the sidelines too often with too many checks.

4. I'm proud of all our players for never giving up...obviously need some fundamental work in the off season.

5. Really concerned with D recruiting. We we will need more than Lawson back to fix this mess.

I love Auburn and hope we use the offseason to get better fundamentally. Always a Tiger...WDE!!

People questioning Gus have to be trolls of some sort. Offense scored 31. Would've been a lot more with a mediocre defense, just couldn't grt back on the field. Wisconsin made a couple of plays in OT when we didn't. That's football. It should jave never got to that point.

Im sorry but if you dont think Gus' playcalling has been suspect at times this season idk what to tell you. Repeated screens that havent worked all game, wrap around draw that hasnt worked in years, but yet to no CAP or jet sweep to ricardo that worked?

Not every play works everytime. Screens have worked as often as they have not. Just like a run up the middle. Sometimes for one yard, other times for a huge gain. 31 points should win you a game. How many times did we punt? Maybe 4?. No turnovers either. You can't expect to be a NC contender when you have a defense giving up 33 plus the last 6 games of the year.

Good points.

OT playcalling was baffling, but I agree, if you score 31 points you should win

These days, 30 points isn't a gimme anymore for anyone.

Maybe not, but if our D was half decent we win

What ever happened to pass on first and third instead of run short on first and pass one 2nd and run on long 3rd. Also the hurry up and run up the middle on the 1st after a long play has become useless every coach knows the play. I still have faith but i agree Gus needs to take time now that he has a good d coordinator and go through his system. Granted a lot of this could be the players ability to learn the system. Also hire some mental coaches, i never hear anything like that from our camp. A lot of what i see is just poor mental attitude, when the crowd is there for them the teams plays harder without doubt. Also we need to look hard at the strength coach.. On a good note we have a running back coming that will be dominate and duke is coming back.

Kicker not that good

You talk about getting down on players..... He crushed a 51 yarder and barely missed the other 2, hes only a freshman, hes not an upperclassmen like some....

Well play calling didn't cost us this one.

You must didn't watch OT? It clearly cost us the game.

The play calling has been predictable all year. But the OT play calling was terrible. Why call plays to the short side of the field when your trying to get athletes in space? Mystified ???

My major complaints:

1)Screens without blocks don't work.

2)on defense we give up huge yardage on a halfback dive every team we play. It's a play only designed for 3-5 yards

3)the around the back hand off is cute but does not work. I give up on the play the moment I see this happening

4)the lack of trust in nick marshall by gus has cost us games coupled with the fact that put defense makes is score in the 40's to win

Pathetic. Completely pathetic. Gotta be worst than 2011 even.

I am glad the season is over so I don't have to read more of your bs. I nominate you for the biggest dbag on this board. Go pull for South Alabama or something. You make me sick with all your crap.

You score 30 you should win. In the last two seasons we've lost 4 games after scoring 30 or more. Before that we hadn't done it since the 90s.

I know some will probably be mad but Malzahn has not finished a game completely. I'm sorry if it offends some but I have noticed that all year and last year. We always change the game plan the second half and get away from what's working. War Damn Eagle and on to next year..

We definitely did not play with heart. Too many distractions. Hope Muschamp already has plans for the defense. And this proves that Gus's offense can be figured out when you start to hold the quarterback back from making plays happen. It just seemed like most of this year was spent trying to prove Nick was a passer and holding him back from running. We played our best this year when we let the guys do what they do best.

Sigh...glad this season is over. I'm looking forward to some energy being injected into this team by Muschamp and company.

When it comes right down to it, our defense combines stupid with lack of heart and toughness. It took them 4 qtrs to decide to give a rat's behind. Too little, too late. We've got guys who believe their press clippings. Too busy thinking about NFL bucks to play football.

I forget, what year was it you were an all-SEC linebacker? I remember your heart and dedication on the field and the way you never made a mistake. You are truly an inspiration to us all. You would not say one word of that to anyone on the team including the kickers. It sucks we lost and had a disappointing season but this questioning the heart and toughness of our guys just rubs me wrong.

^^^^

AMEN!!

The bubble screen has worked this year? I think I missed that..... to say the WR screens have worked out as often as they have not is absurd.

You miss a lot. It's ok though. There are reasons we do bubble screens. If you need that to be explained I dont have time. If you feel the need to question an offense that had over 400yds and 31 points I can't help you.

You miss a lot. It's ok though. There are reasons we do bubble screens. If you need that to be explained I dont have time. If you feel the need to question an offense that had over 400yds and 31 points I can't help you.

lol yea ok, sorry that I feel that this was a team loss, not just one phase. Sorry you cant understand that

This game is on Gus. JJ does not need to give any coach including Gus a raise or extension this year. He needs to inform Gus that another year like this and he will be needing a new job. GM was worst than The hat with game management the last half of the year. He should have handled the defense earlier in the year. To let Cheese coach the D was a recipe for disaster. No more excuses. Field a decent team on both sides or get packed. WDE

Yeah, the D got gashed all night, but anyone wanting to hang the game on them needs to pause. They held for two straight FG to end the game. Gus couldn't get our O in the endzone and our kicker failed at the only job he has--line up and kick a football through the uprights a handful of times a game.

calm down a little bit there, hes only a freshman. If you remember Josh Vaughn missed 5 or 6 against LSU and by the end of his career was considered one of the best kickers in the country

Being a freshman gets you a pass?

He kicked one head height vs A&M...that cost us a 10 point swing and led to a loss.

Blows two today...and we lose in OT.

Is what it is. He's and heck of a lot better than I am, but kicking at a 75% clip isn't Auburn-esque.

He needs some serious work...

The Duke Williams siutation, the suspension of one of better db's, the NFL evaluation stuff, the horrendous scheme of EJ's defense, etc. All of this had a cumulative effect on a lackluster, undisciplined atmosphere for Auburn. We were very predictable on offense. We get too cute sometimes in the redzone and it cost us today. Gus has a lull in every third quarter and this defense always let the other team get back in the game and bring it down to who ever has the ball last. I am glad this season is over. Gus needs to study film of his redzone offense all summer and make some changes. There was not one throw down field in that overtime. It's not like we don't have anyone that can catch it. It was a very frustrating year. It seems that discipline is exercised on these players after the fact.

Kicker not that good

You talk about getting down on players..... He crushed a 51 yarder and barely missed the other 2, hes only a freshman, hes not an upperclassmen like some....

I talk about getting on players that have performed....And I actually I don't care about getting on players I say praise then when they do well too. But no don't pick and choose like you're doing for this guy for whatever reason

Archived