Outback Bowl Postgame Thread

PCBAuburnaFan

People questioning Gus have to be trolls of some sort. Offense scored 31. Would've been a lot more with a mediocre defense, just couldn't grt back on the field. Wisconsin made a couple of plays in OT when we didn't. That's football. It should jave never got to that point.

Im sorry but if you dont think Gus' playcalling has been suspect at times this season idk what to tell you. Repeated screens that havent worked all game, wrap around draw that hasnt worked in years, but yet to no CAP or jet sweep to ricardo that worked?

Not every play works everytime. Screens have worked as often as they have not. Just like a run up the middle. Sometimes for one yard, other times for a huge gain. 31 points should win you a game. How many times did we punt? Maybe 4?. No turnovers either. You can't expect to be a NC contender when you have a defense giving up 33 plus the last 6 games of the year.

The bubble screen has worked this year? I think I missed that..... to say the WR screens have worked out as often as they have not is absurd.

You miss a lot. It's ok though. There are reasons we do bubble screens. If you need that to be explained I dont have time. If you feel the need to question an offense that had over 400yds and 31 points I can't help you.

lol yea ok, sorry that I feel that this was a team loss, not just one phase. Sorry you cant understand that

Nope, I can't. I accept your apology though. What I cant understand is giving up over 400yds rushing. WE

Sorry its a team game bud. Thats why there are 3 phases not 1, WE

It is a team game. One phase did their job. The side CGM has the most influence over. I just think it's idiotic to question him at this time. Not going to blame Carlson, but we all know what we have had on defense all year

There is every reason to question Gus. He has the tendency to get too cute sometimes. He has work to do to become a better head coach. I love him and I am glad we have him but there are times when you just have to scratch your head and wonder what he's thinking.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the D got gashed all night, but anyone wanting to hang the game on them needs to pause. They held for two straight FG to end the game. Gus couldn't get our O in the endzone and our sorry kicker failed at the only job he has--line up and kick a football through the uprights a handful of times a game.

calm down a little bit there, hes only a freshman. If you remember Josh Vaughn missed 5 or 6 against LSU and by the end of his career was considered one of the best kickers in the country

Being a freshman gets you a pass?

He kicked one head height vs A&M...that cost us a 10 point swing and led to a loss.

Blows two today...and we lose in OT.

Is what it is. He's and heck of a lot better than I am, but kicking at a 75% clip isn't Auburn-esque.

He needs some serious work...

Some forget he was the only special teams kicker we had that was worth a dang this year....

A&M O doesnt make two dumb mistakes we dont lose that game, Defense shows up we dont lose that game.

you also act like they were two horrible misses when they werent. Hes going to be a good one by the time hes done.

Sorry he was 17-21 coming into this game as a true freshman

Tell me the difference between a horrible miss and a close miss? Neither put points on the board

point being he was 81% coming into the game and he has handled all our kicking duties this year and has done a good job. Last time I checked the offense stalled 3 times causing long attempts from the kicker. Its easy to blame kickers but u cant blame just one guy. If Gus hadnt gone crazy on playcalling we probably wouldnt be talking about Carlson having to kick a long field goal. Point is that O, D, Special teams, and Coaches are all to blame for this loss.

You score 30 you should win. In the last two seasons we've lost 4 games after scoring 30 or more. Before that we hadn't done it since the 90s.

I get kind of tired of hearing people say this. It is not the 90s anymore. The game has changed to greatly favor offense, 30 points doesn't guarantee you a win anymore. The defense got 3 turnovers and we still lost the game. That to me is the big number we should all be paying attention to. Not to mention our offensive scheme handicaps our defense to some extent. Wisconsin ran more plays and held the ball longer. The defense got tired, but despite that they made the critical stop in OT and our offense fizzled.

We have enough offense to win every game. We need the other two phases of the game to come up to standard.

Ohio State hung 55 on this pathetic defense. Auburn had 31 and went backwards when it really mattered.

We don't deserve to be ranked at all. Que up the "no respect" banter for next year. Right now, we don't deserve any.

We have enough offense to win every game. We need the other two phases of the game to come up to standard.

I don't know if I agree with that too much anymore. We gotta stop saying this statement as if our offense doesn't perform like trash from time to time in EVERY game. For several quarters in a game sometime we'll just do absolutely nothing. There's a problem there too.

It looks like we out think ourselves when the game is on the line and yeah, that third quarter lull is still there. That is probably due to the oppositions adjustments somewhat, but it seems like Gus is stubborn in those situations.

It's just sad to me when the sideline reporter says wisky is fired up and Auburn is not.This was the deference in the game.The desire to win they had it, we didn't.

This is exactly the reason we lost. Sure, Gus made some poor calls, but we had enough offense to win the game. It wasn't lack of brains, it was lack of heart. We've got a culture problem at Auburn. We have players who believe this is just NFL prep. They don't have the team spirit and heart that we need. We also have a LOT of bama fans that hang around the Auburn program, get on this chat boards and do everything they can to get our players thinking about money, fame, and "going pro". I don't know if Gus can fix this. A lot of people on THIS board are closet bammers that specialize in this propaganda.

It's just sad to me when the sideline reporter says wisky is fired up and Auburn is not.This was the deference in the game.The desire to win they had it, we didn't.

This is exactly the reason we lost. Sure, Gus made some poor calls, but we had enough offense to win the game. It wasn't lack of brains, it was lack of heart. We've got a culture problem at Auburn. We have players who believe this is just NFL prep. They don't have the team spirit and heart that we need. We also have a LOT of bama fans that hang around the Auburn program, get on this chat boards and do everything they can to get our players thinking about money, fame, and "going pro". I don't know if Gus can fix this. A lot of people on THIS board are closet bammers that specialize in this propaganda.

Announcers early on talked about Auburn's "tendencies" and how people have scouted us and know what we do. Many games the players are good enough to overcome the fact that the opposition knows what is coming but good defenses adjust and are not fooled very often by the "cuteness". The three plays called in OT were awful....but we were not able to sustain more than a couple drives against a team that gave up 59 to OSU.

Muschamp should be able to do some good with the D but Gus needs some coaches from outside to critique his play-calling and help him game planning.

I don't know if I agree with that too much anymore. We gotta stop saying this statement as if our offense doesn't perform like trash from time to time in EVERY game. For several quarters in a game sometime we'll just do absolutely nothing. There's a problem there too.

That problem is with our offensive line; at time today they did not stick with their blocks or block correctly,

a month to prepare, and we get the same mistakes, poor play calling.

Two drives were a thing of beauty, then it's like everyone takes a break

Announcers early on talked about Auburn's "tendencies" and how people have scouted us and know what we do. Many games the players are good enough to overcome the fact that the opposition knows what is coming but good defenses adjust and are not fooled very often by the "cuteness". The three plays called in OT were awful....but we were not able to sustain more than a couple drives against a team that gave up 59 to OSU.

Muschamp should be able to do some good with the D but Gus needs some coaches from outside to critique his play-calling and help him game planning.

He needs an offensive coordinator. LOL

Most coaches keep doing what works until the other team stops it.

Gus seems to stop doing the successful plays in favor of plays that haven't worked all season.

???

-------

People questioning Gus have to be trolls of some sort. Offense scored 31. Would've been a lot more with a mediocre defense, just couldn't grt back on the field. Wisconsin made a couple of plays in OT when we didn't. That's football. It should jave never got to that point.

Im sorry but if you dont think Gus' playcalling has been suspect at times this season idk what to tell you. Repeated screens that havent worked all game, wrap around draw that hasnt worked in years, but yet to no CAP or jet sweep to ricardo that worked?

Not every play works everytime. Screens have worked as often as they have not. Just like a run up the middle. Sometimes for one yard, other times for a huge gain. 31 points should win you a game. How many times did we punt? Maybe 4?. No turnovers either. You can't expect to be a NC contender when you have a defense giving up 33 plus the last 6 games of the year.

The bubble screen has worked this year? I think I missed that..... to say the WR screens have worked out as often as they have not is absurd.

You miss a lot. It's ok though. There are reasons we do bubble screens. If you need that to be explained I dont have time. If you feel the need to question an offense that had over 400yds and 31 points I can't help you.

lol yea ok, sorry that I feel that this was a team loss, not just one phase. Sorry you cant understand that

Nope, I can't. I accept your apology though. What I cant understand is giving up over 400yds rushing. WE

Sorry its a team game bud. Thats why there are 3 phases not 1, WE

It is a team game. One phase did their job. The side CGM has the most influence over. I just think it's idiotic to question him at this time. Not going to blame Carlson, but we all know what we have had on defense all year

You think its idiotic to question him when our tendencies have been sniffed out easily? When we run plays in crucial situations that teams know we are running bc of our tendencies? You agree with going away from CAP, while blocking was spotty, he was running with a purpose? You agree with a tunnel screen on 2nd down (which has been a common trend this year), and then running a trick play like that on 3rd? D was bad but so was the offensive play calling at times. Its hard to blame Carlson when playcalling put him in a tougher situation.

Ohio State hung 55 on this pathetic defense. Auburn had 31 and went backwards when it really mattered.

Ohio St was motivated! Our guys were thinking about what agent they should use.

Is Roc Thomas in the doghouse after that fumble against Bama? Hadn't even seen him on a kickoff since then. And how about Coats? What was the deal there? CGM will never say I'm sure.

Last year the fire was there. This year was a snooze fest. This off season they need to examine the attitudes of everyone.

Ohio St was motivated! Our guys were thinking about what agent they should use.

You are correct. But that is acceptable.

At least here

Last year the fire was there. This year was a snooze fest. This off season they need to examine the attitudes of everyone.

I think it was all about attitude and we didn't have a winning one today...

I just remember Nick Marshall being a real threat with his legs last season. From the yearly stats it looks like they held his rushing attack back this year. Muschamp surely does have his work cut out for him next year. Hopefully with his on the field intense personality this will put some life back in our D. I know he will not only make the players but the coaches individually responsible for their mistakes. It was pretty sad that a retired coach comes back for one game and beats us.... I believe we have the talent on our team but after our heart was pulled out after the T A&M game we just haven't been the same. I hope that a new year brings a fresh mentality and energy to our team. I believe in Gus and I do think our offense will look different with White or Johnson at the helm next year. We sure do have some work to do before then...

If you think the O is our problem, turd, you need to go home.

Giving up a 7 yd/rush will get you beat 10/10 games.

Our D has been so bad for so long i cant really recall the last time i thought we were good.

Our O just cannot out score every team we play when the D just wont do its job.

We have for the last two years refused to defend the first down marker. We give up more third downs that anyone in the SEC.

I havent been able to watch our D since the TAMU game when a true freshman qb on the road for his first start stomped our asses.

No, it wasnt the O that failed us this year, it was a colossal, abysmal, pathetic performance by the worst Auburn D i can remember.

Prayers for CBoom working his magic. Lord knows, just getting these guys back to mediocre might get us to the playoffs next year.

We gave up 230 points over the last 6 games. (Did not include Samford)

We averaged giving up 38.3 points a game.

Archived