Play calling DID NOT lose this game!

DivisionN

I agree the play calling did not lose the game but it was still a stupid series of calls. Defense was not great but they Definitely played well enough to win. Especially in overtime. Gus is a master but he gets too fancy at times. D held so u know all u have to do is get a field goal to keep the game going and you call a run, a screen and a trick play. All lose yards but only one made sense.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad play calling is when you need to be aggressive and you continue to throw to the sidelines for a 2 yard gain. In OT we should have been throwing it in the endzone.

I agree the play calling did not lose the game but it was still a stupid series of calls. Defense was not great but they Definitely played well enough to win. Especially in overtime. Gus is a master but he gets too fancy at times. D held so u know all u have to do is get a field goal to keep the game going and you call a run, a screen and a trick play. All lose yards but only one made sense.

Giving up 400 yds rushing and 34 points isn't good enough.

I wonder how much of the game Rhett Lashley called? I hate to concede that Gus called such a bad game. I would like to know what percentage of the plays Gus called and what percentage Rhett called. Anybody else feel that way or am i alone? :dunno:

It was a given that we could not win in a defensive game. Gus has cost himself a lot these past two years by not accepting that clear fact. When your D sucks as bad as ours you pull out the whole book and let it rip THE WHOLE DMN GAME.

We put up 31 points and gave up 34 and we are arguing about play calling? Obviously defense couldn't get off the field and make the stops when needed. It's time to focus on next season. Should look like a new team.

War Eagle!

Play calling was not good, announcers repeatedly talked about our tendencies stating coaches and players know what we are going to do. Heck, how many times have we as fans known what we are going to do. I suspect someone who is paid to coach against us can pretty much figure us out if the fan base can as well. That is on our coaches!

I agree the defense was poor as it has been most of the year but the D did have 3 turnovers and held them to 3 points in OT. Offense in OT was horrible.

Play calling was not good and it hurt!!

Lots of mistakes in this game by both sides of the ball. I told my dad after the first Badger touchdown that at the end of the game coaching would blow the win for the Tigers. And when it mattered with game on the line it did. Can't argue that! oh well sometimes you're a genius and sometimes you get egg on your face.

Banish the tunnel screen, smoke draw, and all trick plays near the redzone, from any future playbook. The loss of Williams and Coates limited playing time was very telling.

W

Banish the tunnel screen, smoke draw, and all trick plays near the redzone, from any future playbook. The loss of Williams and Coates limited playing time was very telling.

When those plays work the OC is called a genius. Today they obviously didn't work and everyone is pointing fingers. The biggest thing we missed on offense this year was the success of the zone read that we had last year. Maybe the defenses caught on to it. Maybe the line play was better last year. Whatever, Nick didn't gain many yards rushing today. Next year's offense and defense will look a lot different to what we saw today, so I'm moving on. I still have confidence that Gus can get the ship turned around. War Eagle.

The tunnel screen to the 'short side' of the field has been a disaster ALL year. There is NO defending that call. The 'pass back' to Marshall was just not executed well. It was set up and was a good call...execution was not good.

The tunnel screen to the 'short side' of the field has been a disaster ALL year. There is NO defending that call. The 'pass back' to Marshall was just not executed well. It was set up and was a good call...execution was not good.

It hasn't been executed all year. I will never understand some of his play calling. He just outsmarts himself sometimes.

It hasn't been executed all year. I will never understand some of his play calling. He just outsmarts himself sometimes.

100% agree.

I feel like I've only seen it work one time. Ever. 2013, Sammie against Texas A&M.

What he said. :clap:

31 points, 435 yds of offense, 5.4 YPC. Defense and penalties cost us another game.

I agree.

Offense cannot be held blameless. We have had the same issues on defense all year. The offense knows going in what they have to do. You have to make every possession count. The offense has failed at critical times this year.

True. We had to be a team that lived on offense. The South Carolina game showed this. But even good offense won't win if your defense is a total suck-fest (see Iron Bowl).

Excellent point.

No, it wasn't set up. We consistently ran plays to counter an over-pursuing defense that wasn't over-pursuing.

"I caught it, saw two defenders out there, still put it in a position where Nick could potentially make a play," Uzomah said. "They just kind of got us on that play. … I probably, honestly, could have taken off and ran with it."

Marshall running outside off the zone read NEVER happened today. Almost as though we were protecting him from injury.

No, it wasn't set up. We consistently ran plays to counter an over-pursuing defense that wasn't over-pursuing.

"I caught it, saw two defenders out there, still put it in a position where Nick could potentially make a play," Uzomah said. "They just kind of got us on that play. … I probably, honestly, could have taken off and ran with it."

Marshall running outside off the zone read NEVER happened today. Almost as though we were protecting him from injury.

If Duke were playing and Sammie more healthy I doubt we run that play. Give old wisky some cred. They made three great defensive plays in a row. Pretty sure we didn't accomplish that all day.

But old Urban just proved a well executed trick play in the waning moments can work.

Archived