Play calling DID NOT lose this game!

DivisionN

Point conceded. I still believe play calling, overall did not lose this game. BUT, the play calls in OT were horrendous and hard to fathom. I love Gus and I was up screaming... "What are you doing?" I thought we would go right to the end zone with Sammy or Quan and just gash them. Sigh

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothing wrong with the play calling. We scored 31 points in spite of losing time of possession and number of plays.

Look at a defense that hasn't held a major opponent below 31 points since October 4th. Look at a defense that aided the opponent with two critical late hits out of bounds by upperclassmen that have been starting every game for two years. Look at a defense that couldn't stop a run-oriented team from going 75 yards with less than three minutes left.

Things will get better, there's a new defensive coach and there will be a whole lot of new defensive players starting next year. We graduate nine that were in the playing rotation. Normally, that wouldn't be a good thing but in this case, I think it's for the best. This year can serve as a lesson: If you have to score 40 points to win, you won't be very happy with your record when the season is over.

I posted this in another thread but I think it fits better here:

Offensive playcalling issues are magnified because the offense has to play perfect or almost perfect each game for AU to win. Nobody can call a perfect game.

The fact of the matter is people like to call playcalling a chess match but its not quite like that. It would be like if you're playing chess with someone and both you and your opponent simultaneously move your pieces of choice. Bad stuff is bound to happen from time to time.

The Auburn O is limited due to some of the skillsets of some of the key players so we got a bit predictable. Next year the offense will look different and probably much more diverse because defenses will have to account for the pass game actually being able to hit throws all over the field as opposed to just along the line of scrimmage or the deep ball. If JJ puts in the work with his WRs the offense should be fun to watch.

There's nothing wrong with the play calling. We scored 31 points in spite of losing time of possession and number of plays.

Look at a defense that hasn't held a major opponent below 31 points since October 4th. Look at a defense that aided the opponent with two critical late hits out of bounds by upperclassmen that have been starting every game for two years. Look at a defense that couldn't stop a run-oriented team from going 75 yards with less than three minutes left.

Things will get better, there's a new defensive coach and there will be a whole lot of new defensive players starting next year. We graduate nine that were in the playing rotation. Normally, that wouldn't be a good thing but in this case, I think it's for the best. This year can serve as a lesson: If you have to score 40 points to win, you won't be very happy with your record when the season is over.

Despite all that, we still had a chance to win it in our last possession and the play calling was atrocious. So yeah, there was something wrong with the play calling.

The defensive gave us 3 turnovers (2 in the red zone) and we only had a 14-7 lead at the half. UW was one dimensional so if our offensive genius could have put a few more points (in the 1st half) on the board, then Gordon would have been a non-factor in the second half. So yes I don't think the offense did the defense any favors today.

The defensive gave us 3 turnovers (2 in the red zone) and we only had a 14-7 lead at the half. UW was one dimensional so if our offensive genius could have put a few more points (in the 1st half) on the board, then Gordon would have been a non-factor in the second half. So yes I don't think the offense did the defense any favors today.

Two of those turnovers were at the 5. Defense was lucky to not have given up more. Giving up 400 yds rushing is laughable. Almost anyway.

We had a gimpy Sammy and no Duke. I'd take 31 points under those conditions any day.

Whether we scored 31 points, 14 points, or 60 points, we need to speed up the offense (ala Oregon), and become less predictable. We broke tendencies against Bama, which is why we put up 650 yards.

Play calling by itself did not cost us the game but it played a major role in the lost. Even in the games we won, we've had 1 to 2 and sometimes 3 series every game this year where the play calling on offense has been suspect. GM has stated that he is turning the defense over to WM and we should definitely see improvement in the defense. GM should and I feel certain he will do some offensive evaluation as well.

It's been a disappointing year in many regards in every aspect of the game...offensive, defense, special teams, execution, coaching, as well as off field incidents. GM will be entering his 3rd year as Auburn's head coach and IMO, the defining year of what we can expect in the future with GM at the helm. If we are going to be a championship caliber football team consistently...we need to improve in all aspects of the game and it all starts with GM.

Play calling by itself did not cost us the game but it played a major role in the lost. Even in the games we won, we've had 1 to 2 and sometimes 3 series every game this year where the play calling on offense has been suspect. GM has stated that he is turning the defense over to WM and we should definitely see improvement in the defense. GM should and I feel certain he will do some offensive evaluation as well.

It's been a disappointing year in many regards in every aspect of the game...offensive, defense, special teams, execution, coaching, as well as off field incidents. GM will be entering his 3rd year as Auburn's head coach and IMO, the defining year of what we can expect in the future with GM at the helm. If we are going to be a championship caliber football team consistently...we need to improve in all aspects of the game and it all starts with GM.

Yep. Chizik won't be to blame anymore. I really hope we see better results next year.

The play calling was not the only reason we lost. The defense did it's usual thing even though they did come up with a stop in OT. This game was lost because of all three phases of the game. The offensive play calling gets part of the blame as well. To say that it played no role is being dishonest.

Whether we scored 31 points, 14 points, or 60 points, we need to speed up the offense (ala Oregon), and become less predictable. We broke tendencies against Bama, which is why we put up 650 yards.

and we got our a$$ handed to us much like yesterday.

What are you smoking? Play calling has cost AU 3 of the last 4 losses. AU's OL was bigger than WI DL and we were pushing them off the LOS. The entire season we have never run a jumbo package with multiple TE or other bigger blocking players where we could stuff the ball. A double pass when all you need is a few yards to get to the 2nd OT this is stupid.

Without those three turnovers we're not even in the game. All Wisconsin had to do was hand off to Gordon and just let him do his thing. Those three passes were not good and not really good calls by them.

What are you smoking? Play calling has cost AU 3 of the last 4 losses. AU's OL was bigger than WI DL and we were pushing them off the LOS. The entire season we have never run a jumbo package with multiple TE or other bigger blocking players where we could stuff the ball. A double pass when all you need is a few yards to get to the 2nd OT this is stupid.

Which 3?

Look: Since Gus got here in 2009 his offense has ALWAYS hit flat spots. See the '09 Kentucky game for an entire flat game. Usually we win anyway, but those flat spots aren't going away. Predictable plays are only bad when the defense stops them. Often Gus's predictable plays work anyway. When we get a defense on the field that can hold people to below 30 points we'll be big winners with Gus's play calling. Until then it won't matter what plays are called.

Look: Since Gus got here in 2009 his offense has ALWAYS hit flat spots. See the '09 Kentucky game for an entire flat game. Usually we win anyway, but those flat spots aren't going away. Predictable plays are only bad when the defense stops them. Often Gus's predictable plays work anyway. When we get a defense on the field that can hold people to below 30 points we'll be big winners with Gus's play calling. Until then it won't matter what plays are called.

This x 1000

Well we got away with those flat spots before. This season we couldn't do it. I am not giving anybody a pass for this. He has to be accountable for that. He has to improve on the way he runs his offense. I can't tell you how many times I've had to sit through games we should have won comfortably that ended up being close because he took his foot off the gas.

Well we got away with those flat spots before. This season we couldn't do it. I am not giving anybody a pass for this. He has to be accountable for that. He has to improve on the way he runs his offense. I can't tell you how many times I've had to sit through games we should have won comfortably that ended up being close because he took his foot off the gas.

When your defense can't stop anybody, the best way to win is get a lead and slow the offense down late in the game. I don't have a problem with taking your foot off the gas when the defense is atrocious.

It is a given that the defense was bad....but i have to question some of the play calling in the MS. State, bama and the bowl game when when we have to settle for fg's. Ended up costing us all three games along with turnovers and poor defense. Also to add that if (as a coach) you couldn't see that your defense stunk and needed to score at every opportunity, you are not a very observant coach.

The answer to this issue lies in a few statements that the color announcer, Matt Mcmillon (sp?), made yesterday during the game. I wonder if anyone else heard it. He stated in that AU's offensive had become very predictable. It only took looking at 4 pages of play calling data taken in recent games to notice trends and predictions when compared to down and distance and player packages. Auburn ran the same few plays over and over and could be predicted easily. That is a very telling fact. In spite of that, Auburn's offense is very efficient, which speaks to the talent level on offense. I hope we self scout our selves during the off-year so we don't repeat what we have a tendency to do. So yes, if this is true, play calling was a factor, but one that got us in every game in the last half of the season.

When your defense can't stop anybody, the best way to win is get a lead and slow the offense down late in the game. I don't have a problem with taking your foot off the gas when the defense is atrocious.

No that's a sure fire way to lose a game like that. When your defense is atrocious you keep the foot on the gas because you know the defense is not capable of holding the lead. Chizik did the same thing in 2011 and it was an unmitigated disaster.

No that's a sure fire way to lose a game like that. When your defense is atrocious you keep the foot on the gas because you know the defense is not capable of holding the lead.

Lets each get us a team and play it out! :) Taking 30+ seconds off the clock every snap when you have a late lead is how to win. A couple first downs keeps your best unit (offense) on the field until the game is over. We won the 2010 Iron Bowl by slowing down after we took the lead, for example.

No that's a sure fire way to lose a game like that. When your defense is atrocious you keep the foot on the gas because you know the defense is not capable of holding the lead.

Lets each get us a team and play it out! :) Taking 30+ seconds off the clock every snap when you have a late lead is how to win. A couple first downs keeps your best unit (offense) on the field until the game is over. We won the 2010 Iron Bowl by slowing down after we took the lead, for example.

We didn't take the lead until late in the 4th qtr. We had a defense that, for all the yards they gave up, was capable of stopping a team from scoring. Bama wasn't a team that was an offensive juggernaut that year. The defense last year and this year couldn't stop a 1A high school team from scoring. You don't do it in the middle of the third qtr when the other team has plenty of time to get the momentum and come back. That is what happened against UGA last year. You can argue the touchdown by Murray but the fact that it even came down to that was due in part to Gus taking his foot off the gas. He did the same thing against FSU and it contributed to losing that game.

Archived