Chizik to North Carolina as DC

Dual-Threat Rigby

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Helmets will be lined up PERFECTLY! First day of Spring practice. As far as helmets go, it's his way or the highway when they are not being used. PERFECTLY! SINGLE FILE!

6 inch ribbon curls.........6 INCHES!!!

I have always thought that CGC was an excellent DC without question. However, he is not HC material whatsoever. I think he will do a good job at UNC. Living in NC, I have followed UNC sports for many years. Auburn is my team without any doubt.

I have always thought that CGC was an excellent DC without question. However, he is not HC material whatsoever. I think he will do a good job at UNC. Living in NC, I have followed UNC sports for many years. Auburn is my team without any doubt.

I won't say he won't ever be a good head coach. Sometimes you have to fail like he did in order to learn. He will likely get another chance at some point. Probably have to start at a smaller school. That might be where he belongs. Not everyone is cut out for the big time jobs.

• 3 weeks later...

Notice that Selena Roberts is back in the news with her discredited BS and someone apparently trying to smear Chiz at the introduction news conference...or before it. Charlotte paper could not resist dusting off the old news to take an unwarranted shot at him and Fedora had to respond it seems.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/19/5457749/unc-confident-in-gene-chizik-despite.html#.VL2KAMJ0ycx

TBH, as a NC native, it would be irresponsible if the journalists didn't bring it up. Of course, it will be minimally noted that NOTHING HAPPENED according to the NCAA, but the current state of UNC athletics with fake classes and still fighting off the backlash of the Butch Davis recruiting problems, it's kind of surprising UNC hired someone with these types of allegations in their past.

I mean it was basically daily news on ESPN during 2010.

I truly hope Chiz does well and has a chance to rebuild his career. He's a good guy and tried to do his best while at AU, just didn't work out. If he can turn that D around...he'll have some options down the road, sooner than later I'd say.

TBH, as a NC native, it would be irresponsible if the journalists didn't bring it up. Of course, it will be minimally noted that NOTHING HAPPENED according to the NCAA, but the current state of UNC athletics with fake classes and still fighting off the backlash of the Butch Davis recruiting problems, it's kind of surprising UNC hired someone with these types of allegations in their past.

most people don't remember that. Frankly most of them outside the SEC never really cared one way or the other. It was interesting at the time but not long term.

most people don't remember that. Frankly most of them outside the SEC never really cared one way or the other. It was interesting at the time but not long term.

I don't know. Living outside of SEC country it sure seemed like a big deal. Obviously, not as big a deal as in the SEC, though. But it does seem to be the hot topic of sports radio today in NC. Lots of UNC fans want the reputation to be on the road to recovery and think that hiring Chizik does nothing to help how UNC is perceived these days.

Helmets will be lined up PERFECTLY! First day of Spring practice. As far as helmets go, it's his way or the highway when they are not being used. PERFECTLY! SINGLE FILE!

You got a problem with that? :angry:

From the article: "Several former Tigers players told Roberts, among other things, that during Chizik’s tenure Auburn changed grades to keep players eligible, and that the school offered thousands of dollars in effort to keep potential NFL draft picks from leaving school".

​I notice they never mentioned it was thoroughly investigated and proven to be not true!!

Read more here: http://www.charlotte...x#storylink=cpy

I don't know. Living outside of SEC country it sure seemed like a big deal. Obviously, not as big a deal as in the SEC, though. But it does seem to be the hot topic of sports radio today in NC. Lots of UNC fans want the reputation to be on the road to recovery and think that hiring Chizik does nothing to help how UNC is perceived these days.

I live in NC and all the UNC fans I know (including my kids) have just passed off the stuff with the ballplayers into the category of "everyone does it"....and Williams said something to the effect...."gee, I had no idea this was going on".... Chiz is a cleaner guy than their last 2 ADs and last 3 coaches....JMO.

Meanwhile the allegations were all big news...and as usual, the exonerations were buried on page 42 and nobody saw them.

I won't say he won't ever be a good head coach. Sometimes you have to fail like he did in order to learn. He will likely get another chance at some point. Probably have to start at a smaller school. That might be where he belongs. Not everyone is cut out for the big time jobs.

Agreed.

Just consider the range of direct experience he has. ;) (Seriously)

I live in NC and all the UNC fans I know (including my kids) have just passed off the stuff with the ballplayers into the category of "everyone does it"....and Williams said something to the effect...."gee, I had no idea this was going on".... Chiz is a cleaner guy than their last 2 ADs and last 3 coaches....JMO.

Meanwhile the allegations were all big news...and as usual, the exonerations were buried on page 42 and nobody saw them.

Yeah, I personally agree with that sentiment also. Some alums I know are pretty P-O'd about how the university's name has been dragged through the mud. I guess they feel it tarnishes their diplomas in a way due to the fake classes.

Yeah and of course the article doesn't want the reader to know all allegations turned out to be FALSE.

Yeah, I personally agree with that sentiment also. Some alums I know are pretty P-O'd about how the university's name has been dragged through the mud. I guess they feel it tarnishes their diplomas in a way due to the fake classes.

Yeah and of course the article doesn't want the reader to know all allegations turned out to be FALSE.

Well, yeaaaaah. :-\

• 6 months later...

Chiz seems to be raising expectations for UNC's defense.

Chizik returns to coaching to fix Tar Heels’ woeful defense

Aaron Beard, Associated Press 7:29 p.m. EDT July 31, 2015

B9318297990Z.1_20150731192939_000_GGCBGI8DN.2-0.jpg

(Photo: AP)

CHAPEL HILL – Gene Chizik built one of the nation’s top defenses as an Auburn assistant, worked as defensive coordinator during Texas’ national-championship run, then returned to the Tigers to win another title as head coach.

That history explains why North Carolina is counting on Chizik to fix its woeful defense.

Approaching three years after he was fired from Auburn, Chizik is back in coaching as the Tar Heels’ defensive coordinator. He inherits a defense that surrendered more points and yards than any team in program history as UNC opens preseason camp Monday.

“We can’t control everybody’s expectations,” Chizik said in an interview. “I want people to be excited not because I’m here, but because we have a new defensive philosophy, we have a new defensive staff and I want them to embrace the fact that we feel good and we feel positive the defense will definitely improve.

“We don’t know how fast that will happen. But I hope that excites people.”

The Tar Heels have long talked about winning the typically wide-open Coastal Division in the Atlantic Coast Conference. That can’t happen unless the 53-year-old Chizik and an overhauled staff can get them to make opponents at least pump the brakes.

The move from a 4-2-5 to a 4-3 base scheme began in spring drills, part of what Chizik called “an inch-by-inch” process instead of an overnight reversal.

“He didn’t rush it, he wasn’t worried about whether he won spring or not,” head coach Larry Fedora said during the ACC Kickoff media days. “All he wanted to do was make sure those guys understood the base defense and had learned the fundamentals of the defense. That’s something he felt like he accomplished. That has given those guys confidence, and that’s something they lost.”

Plagued by blown assignments and missed tackles, the Tar Heels (6-7) allowed program records of 6,472 yards (497.8 per game) and 507 points (39 per game) last year. They gave up 11 touchdowns of at least 40 yards, according to STATS, and single-game records of 70 points and 789 yards at instate East Carolina.

Linebacker Jeff Schoettmer said the new staff emphasized taking better angles to ball carriers in the spring.

“We did a bunch of tackling every day of spring practice,” Schoettmer said. “We were very physical all spring, moreso than we have been in the past three years.”

It’s also a new start for Chizik.

He spent two years as Iowa State’s head coach before going 33-19 in four seasons at Auburn, including an unbeaten 2010 season behind Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Cam Newton. He was fired in November 2012 after a winless Southeastern Conference season.

Archived