Chizik to North Carolina as DC

Dual-Threat Rigby

I would love to seee cgc raise that defense and get a new hc gig and be successful. But our defense steadily ebbed under his watch and two years later still struggled. I am not expecting it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pulling big time for Chiz as well. I hope he's so successful that Chapel Hill ends up with Chiz plastered all over the place. Billboards, tv ads etc.

I am pulling big time for Chiz as well. I hope he's so successful that Chapel Hill ends up with Chiz plastered all over the place. Billboards, tv ads etc.

Yep !

Yeah. A Chiz explosion in NC would really help us out.

^^ this ^^

Plus the Tar-Heel clan seem like a good bunch, at least the ones I've known, And (yep ^^^) it wouldn't hurt to see them better Clemson, Florida St, Ga Tech, and (not or) N'Dame.

I'll root for him so maybe he can get a raise and Auburn can stop paying that ridiculous buyout.

Agreed. I wish him well. Fond memories. But he has taken the scenic route while the meter runs.

I could care less what he does and don't plan to keep track. Grateful we won a natty on his watch but anybody that's honest with themselves knows that was Gus, Cam, and Nick with Chiz staying out of the way. Was a terrible hire when it happened and I was glad to see him gone.

I could care less what he does and don't plan to keep track. Grateful we won a natty on his watch but anybody that's honest with themselves knows that was Gus, Cam, and Nick with Chiz staying out of the way. Was a terrible hire when it happened and I was glad to see him gone.

Problem with your statement is: Chiz didn't always stand out of the way. Just ask Ted Roof.

Problem with your statement is: Chiz didn't always stand out of the way. Just ask Ted Roof.

True that.

True that.

So who was standing in Ellis Johnson's way the past two season ? Must have been the ghost of Chiz....

Yeah. A Chiz explosion in NC would really help us out.

^^ this ^^

Plus the Tar-Heel clan seem like a good bunch, at least the ones I've known, And (yep ^^^) it wouldn't hurt to see them better Clemson, Florida St, Ga Tech, and (not or) N'Dame.

you have never been to a tarheels vs kentucky regional in b'ham with a kentucky hat on i suppose. they are as bad as turds.

True that.

So who was standing in Ellis Johnson's way the past two season ? Must have been the ghost of Chiz....

My bad-I thought this thread was about Chizik. Ellis Johnson get hired by UNC too?

One of many problems with the little to no-credit-to-Chizik argument is it assumes a head coach simply wishes for highly sought after coordinators like Gus and a transferring player like Cam and they magically appear. Gene's biggest mistake may have been not intruding MORE into the defensive coaching, his D resume crushes the guys he hired. Sure, Roof has been solid with the Golden Gophers, State Penn & in the ACC. Some staff like van gorder have admitted after the fact they didn't do their best job at AU (really? he's a pretty hit or miss guy anyway...we got his miss cycle). We have "Tubbs blundered into 2004" and "what did Dye do" groups around here somewhere too. Not to be a total homer, the best I can say about Terry is he was a terrific game day coach that couldn't recruit his way out of a paper bag & burned out young, and Barf was...a nice guy.

Like it or lump it, if Chizik gets the blame for 2012 he must also get the credit for 2010. I can't think of anybody else that could have guided the 2010 team through all the false off the fiend stuff and into an undefeated national championship. We Auburn fans will always owe Gene Chizik.

Like it or lump it, if Chizik gets the blame for 2012 he must also get the credit for 2010. I can't think of anybody else that could have guided the 2010 team through all the false off the fiend stuff and into an undefeated national championship. We Auburn fans will always owe Gene Chizik.

Sorry Mikey, while you make a valid point....in reality, we get to pick and choose who to blame or give the credit.....so Gus gets the credit for 2013 and Ellis gets the blame for last season.....see how easy that was?

In 2010, we had a lot of seniors that refused to lose, the most experienced OL in the nation, arguably the best DL in the nation, as well as having the best player in College football which we would have not gotten if Chizik had gotten his way. There were a lot more problems that were masked up by winning. I give Chizik credit for bringing in Gus but that's about it. He never had control of the program.

After the season I got congratulated by a ISU alumni, but he did say: watch out, he will eventually leave AU like a bull ran through a china shop, and he was right.

In 2012, we got to see what had been going on all along in that tenure. Chizik made horrible hires in coordinators, and BVG and SL are still struggling to this day. Every single person on the field, coaching staff and all gets my blame for 2012.. Players weren't pushed to a higher level, and quit easily.

In 2013, very similar to '10. Multiple upper classmen that were savages: Tre, Davis, Dismukes etc, It wasn't hard for Gus to be a good play caller when you had NM and Tre running the read option as beautiful as you can run it. The defense is what cost us games in '13, but Gus being ultra conservative played a big part in that as well.

In 14 the D problems really showed bc I think that the D staff was very lax and didn't push the players to the next level like they should have just like '12. We also tried to be cute wayyyy too often on Offense which didn't help either. I also put it on Gus because as head coach he should of set a standard on D and made sure it was followed.

My 2 cents... Gene Chizik was a really good (maybe great) DC before he became a HC. I feel that when you look at his body of work in Iowa St. and Auburn, it shows that he was NOT a great (maybe not even good) HC. 2010 was a perfect storm for AU. All the pieces fit. It was "our" year..it just was. I am of the opinion that the talk radio generated and ESPN fed garbage that came late in the season may have been the best thing ON THE FIELD for that team as it assured Gene Chizik of staying out of the other coaches way since he had to play detective and politician the rest of the year. Something tells me that he didn't have much time to actually coach... With that said, the way he publicly guided the team's psyche through all of that and kept them focused and ready was truly impressive.

My opinion... Gene Chizik was not a particularly good HC but he might make a pretty good Athletic Director for somebody one day.

OH, and since this is about him becoming DC at UNC..... I suspect he'll do a good job there. God bless him.

My 2 cents... Gene Chizik was a really good (maybe great) DC before he became a HC. I feel that when you look at his body of work in Iowa St. and Auburn, it shows that he was NOT a great (maybe not even good) HC. 2010 was a perfect storm for AU. All the pieces fit. It was "our" year..it just was. I am of the opinion that the talk radio generated and ESPN fed garbage that came late in the season may have been the best thing ON THE FIELD for that team as it assured Gene Chizik of staying out of the other coaches way since he had to play detective and politician the rest of the year. Something tells me that he didn't have much time to actually coach... With that said, the way he publicly guided the team's psyche through all of that and kept them focused and ready was truly impressive.

My opinion... Gene Chizik was not a particularly good HC but he might make a pretty good Athletic Director for somebody one day.

OH, and since this is about him becoming DC at UNC..... I suspect he'll do a good job there. God bless him.

He probably will make a good AD some day, I never thought of that one.

It takes a special set of circumstances to go undefeated and win a national championship. And when you can consistantly put your team in the position to compete for multiple championships in a conference this tough, you are a good coach.

The fact that AU was able to accomplish that feat in the midst of national criticism, the daily barage of accusations, blatant lying and a massive colonoscopy from the NCAA, leads me to believe that Coach Chizik did a fantastic job. For that I thank him. Now, the total team disaster that went to hell in an handbasket lays on the shoulders of the same coach.

It takes a special set of circumstances to go undefeated and win a national championship. And when you can consistantly put your team in the position to compete for multiple championships in a conference this tough, you are a good coach.

The fact that AU was able to accomplish that feat in the midst of national criticism, the daily barage of accusations, blatant lying and a massive colonoscopy from the NCAA, leads me to believe that Coach Chizik did a fantastic job. For that I thank him. Now, the total team disaster that went to hell in an handbasket lays on the shoulders of the same coach.

you are correct he guided thr rise and fall. The fall was just so fast and so hard i have to spread the credit for the rise around a bit more.

Archived