92 penalties for 896 yards -> lack of discipline

Sani-Freeze

Though I agree there was a discipline issue with this year's team, I would not base it primarily on penalties. I'm not saying penalties wasn't an indicator of discipline issues but consider the following...

Over the past 25 years, Auburn has averaged 6.2 penalties per game with the 2014 team checking in at 7.1 per game. We're looking at 1 more penalty per game than the 25-year average. Is this on its own merit a discipline issue? Could be but not a given. The 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2009 teams had a higher penalty average than 2014 and I don't recall those previous seasons being associated with discipline issues.

Again, I agree the 2014 did have discipline issues but I just wanted to point out the history of penalties at Auburn.

Man, I hate to see facts get in the way of a good argument :-\. However, the timing and quantity of really damaging penalties (PI,personal fouls) sure seemed unusually bad.

Though I agree there was a discipline issue with this year's team, I would not base it primarily on penalties. I'm not saying penalties wasn't an indicator of discipline issues but consider the following...

Over the past 25 years, Auburn has averaged 6.2 penalties per game with the 2014 team checking in at 7.1 per game. We're looking at 1 more penalty per game than the 25-year average. Is this on its own merit a discipline issue? Could be but not a given. The 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2009 teams had a higher penalty average than 2014 and I don't recall those previous seasons being associated with discipline issues.

Again, I agree the 2014 did have discipline issues but I just wanted to point out the history of penalties at Auburn.

Good points and I'd like to throw this out there. I think you have to look at the type of penalties also. For example; If you are constantly being called for holding, it could be a coaching/fundamental/technique issue. If you are being called for late hits/personal fouls it could be more directly related to a lack of discipline/player focus. I think that's what a lot of people are seeing. Just my two cents. :)

The nature of the penalties this season, like the dropped passes, has a lot to do with our perception, I think. There were numerous pivotal downs this season where our defense didn't get off the field because we gifted the opponent a first down, just like there were numerous times the offense didn't stay on the field because of a dropped first down. Of course, that might also speak to the nature of the games that we constantly found ourselves in. Other than the LSU and UGA games, it seemed like every series in every important game was do or die. Unfortunately, we did in fact die a few times because of penalties.

Agressive play penalties I'll live with to a point.

More than a few late hit OOB calls were borderline enough that we should be given the benefit of the doubt, like the Frost call yesterday.

Now stupid penalties are quite another matter.

I'd be interested to see the breakdown.

Good info- I was wondering how it stacked up against previous seasons. Maybe it was just the type of penalties, or the bad timing (to kill our drives/extend the opponents') that made this season seem worse. I wonder if we had double the opponents' penalty totals in those other years though.

And I agree with some of the folks who pointed out that the off-field issues have been relatively minor. My point there was more about WHO was doing it. It wasn't a third string freshman WR, it was our starting QB riding around with an empty bag of weed or our star WR getting in a fight. Doesn't make them bad people at all- you just wish the upperclassmen would be the ones to step up and set a good example for the younger ones.

The off-field issues at UGA are usually pretty minor as well (albeit numerous) - but UGA always seems to be undisciplined and I have always felt that is a big reason why they don't compete and win at a high level. I've been pretty critical of Richt for that reason... but this year felt at times like AU was in a similar type of situation.

I'm excited about 2015 but I'm going to temper my expectations a bit until we see some new leaders emerging and better execution on the field.

I think we are all looking for answers and reasons for inconsistent and bad play. I do think that there was a lack of purpose or passion this year and other than RD, there was no leadership. No vocal leaders emerged. NM is a quiet humble guy and not a vocal leader. No one emerged on the defensive side of the ball. Other than the LSU game, our guys never seemed pumped up. How many games did we see the other team up and cheering waving towels to get the crowd up? Last year they had a purpous and something to prove. This year they thought they were guaranteed another winning season. I hope we can bring in some players who have that fire and desire to lead.

It did seem we had way too many interference calls, not putting the blame on anybody, but this season I did notice is that we had several illegal procedure penalties and in the past we rarely had one called, I always felt that was one of our strength of the offense and was amazed we didn't have more with all the movement and changes of the play before we actually ran the play…hope we can shore this up...

We have some guys who just don't play smart. Emotions get the best of them too often and they play out of control. Every team has some of these but we have too many IMO. What we need is leadership. Not necessarily in your face type. There are quiet leaders. We had a few on offense (RD, CS, CJ, Quan and NM) to name a few, but very few on defense this year.

the defense did not play as a unit, player assignments and looks, calls to adjust never seemed to happen. Ability is there, preparation needs to improve. there was a disconnect somewhere in the middle of the season, coach/player situation was a factor from what i heard, no link.

Archived