NYT runs article on bammer nation

cooltigger21

• 2 weeks later...

Good overall description of the turd fans. Has a nice little feature on several different ones, including Phyllis from Mulga. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/02/sports/ncaafootball/alabamas-success-under-nick-saban-is-felt-all-over-state.html?_r=0

It's a shame that bamA fans don't read the nytimes because they think it's "liberal"

Good overall description of the turd fans. Has a nice little feature on several different ones, including Phyllis from Mulga. http://www.nytimes.c...state.html?_r=0

It's a shame that bamA fans don't read the nytimes because they think it's "liberal"

They don't read the NY Times because...they don't read.

I'm not going to read about bama anywhere...and won't make an exception for the NYT...but I take it that since Phyllis from Mulga, or wherever, was included they must have trolled to the bottom of the bama gene pool for commentary.

Does anyone think this season's outcome will change anything? NOPE....bammers will be bammers no matter what the W-L for the season.

Good overall description of the turd fans. Has a nice little feature on several different ones, including Phyllis from Mulga. http://www.nytimes.c...state.html?_r=0

They don't read the NY Times because...they don't read.

It's called limitations. Sometimes you just have to accept them. Lol

Isn't Mulga the place with the lake that serves as a sewage depot for that area of the county? I think it is called Bayview Lake? Educate me on this.

It's disgusting to know that bammers are actually proud of their dirt bag fans like Phyllis, Updike, ball hanger, etc. These are the people they hold up as their heroes.

I had never heard this story (opening NYT link)::

Ken Rosenberger, owner of the luggage store Birmingham Trunk, noted that his grandfather J. D. Rosenberger was part of the crowd that gathered at the Birmingham train station to see the Crimson Tide off on their journey to Pasadena, Calif., for the 1926 Rose Bowl. J. D. Rosenberger gave each player a small red token depicting the store’s logo, an elephant with one foot on a suitcase, to demonstrate durability. So, the story goes, an elephant became Alabama’s mascot.

So their vaunted mascot began as merely a dumb animal in a luggage ad? Reasonable, I guess, but I can think of a newer ad that probably fits them better:

Ken Rosenberger, owner of the luggage store Birmingham Trunk, noted that his grandfather J. D. Rosenberger was part of the crowd that gathered at the Birmingham train station to see the Crimson Tide off on their journey to Pasadena, Calif., for the 1926 Rose Bowl. J. D. Rosenberger gave each player a small red token depicting the store’s logo, an elephant with one foot on a suitcase, to demonstrate durability. So, the story goes, an elephant became Alabama’s mascot.

So their vaunted mascot began as merely a dumb animal in a luggage ad? Reasonable, I guess, but I can think of a newer ad that probably fits them better:

Boy did this comment bring back memories for this old man. I remember seeing that logo when I was a 9 or 10 year old kid and they are still in busines. The story makes perfect sense to me.

I had always thought it was from a reporter referring to one of Wallace Wade' teams and their big linemen calling them "red elephants"?

Ken Rosenberger, owner of the luggage store Birmingham Trunk, noted that his grandfather J. D. Rosenberger was part of the crowd that gathered at the Birmingham train station to see the Crimson Tide off on their journey to Pasadena, Calif., for the 1926 Rose Bowl. J. D. Rosenberger gave each player a small red token depicting the store's logo, an elephant with one foot on a suitcase, to demonstrate durability. So, the story goes, an elephant became Alabama's mascot.

I had always thought it was from a reporter referring to one of Wallace Wade' teams and their big linemen calling them "red elephants"?

That's the version I always heard. Wouldn't surprise me that they made that up to cover the real story.

Good overall description of the turd fans. Has a nice little feature on several different ones, including Phyllis from Mulga. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/02/sports/ncaafootball/alabamas-success-under-nick-saban-is-felt-all-over-state.html?_r=0

I tend to think of "Chumlee" from Pawn Stars when I hear Phyllis of Mulga decree her bammerness to the world.

Archived