2015 4* ATH Tim Irvin commits to AU!

Dixie1860

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're clear favorites for Irvin.He's currently at odds with the Texas staff over his recruitment. Looks like the Parents aren't as big of factors as once thought.

I saw at least 3 CB's on 247 today favoring Auburn for Irvin. I think we get him to commit after this weekend. But that will probably mean that Chris Westry is gone.

He surely doesn't look like he is 5'8. He hits like a truck. We could use a guy like this. Hope he has a change of heart this weekend. Or just confirms that it already has changed...

What position are we looking at him for. It shows him as WR, RB, Safety

2 sites say Nickel/safety. One site says cover corner.

Looks like the Parents aren't as big of factors as once thought.

I think you are getting Burt and Irvin mixed up. I have not seen anything with Irvin's parents factoring against AU.

Commit watch this weekend

Almost has to. To be an EE as he planned he has to be in classes at AU no later than Next Thursday.

I saw at least 3 CB's on 247 today favoring Auburn for Irvin. I think we get him to commit after this weekend. But that will probably mean that Chris Westry is gone.

I don't think Irvin will have any direct effect on Westry one way or the other. We wanted one or two more DB's anyway. They may well tell Westry he doesn't fit our plans but I doubt that Irvin will have anything to do with it.

I really like Irvin, I think that he would be a good pickup for us if he flips. He has good instincts, plays with a great motor, and hits like a truck. The only thing that I am a bit questionable about is his height- 5' 8.5" is about 3 inches shorter than I'd like. But with that said, I feel like he knows that and plays with a chip on his shoulder because of it.

I really like Irvin, I think that he would be a good pickup for us if he flips. He has good instincts, plays with a great motor, and hits like a truck. The only thing that I am a bit questionable about is his height- 5' 8.5" is about 3 inches shorter than I'd like. But with that said, I feel like he knows that and plays with a chip on his shoulder because of it.

Robenson Therezie was only 5'9. Irvin plays like his clone.

Robenson Therezie was only 5'9. Irvin plays like his clone.

I understand that, but the downside is still there, even if he emulates a player that we just lost. Ideally, Irvin would be 5'11" - 6'1", as that kind of length would allow him to compete for jump balls with most receivers out there (excluding the 6'5" monsters and DUUUUUUUUKE). Therezie played star for us last year, a hybrid position that doesn't exist in Muschamp's defense. So do we put him at safety? If so, his size will be a factor if he has to jump to contend for a pass. JMO.

Our DBs could have been 7' this year and it wouldn't have made a difference. If he can cover, bring him in.

Absolutely. It doesn't matter how tall you are when you line up wrong or don't know who to cover.

FWIW:

Tim Irvin Scouting Report from sportingnews.com

WHAT STANDS OUT

The Make-You-Miss ability. Irvin looks slippery because most defenses slide right off of him. Westminster Christian's resident open-field magician possesses the gift of making would-be tacklers disappear into thin air as he slides by toward paydirt. Some of the disappearing acts he pulls off with five and six defenders within inches of him are nearly impossible to process visually the first time you watch. Irvin also impresses with:

— Physicality: An absoutely fearless tackler, Irvin packs a punch despite his small stature. His athletic timing and ability to deliver the perfect strike make him a devastating tackler in the open field. Irvin won't back down from bigger ballcarriers.

— Spin City: Perhaps the best repetoire of spin and reverse-spin moves seen in a rising star at the prep level in the past two generations. His dizzying array of spin moves frequently bring entire stadiums full of onlookers to their feet. Whether it's a full speed reverse spin off a lunging defender in space, frontspin or a slow top spin dead in space to allow a defender to fly by, Irvin has a knack for making defenders look foolish.

— Breakaway speed: Once he puts his foot in the ground, Irvin is able to accelerate to full speed in one step. Give him an inch and he'll take six points. His turnover and ability to pick'em up and put'em down at full speed after weaving in and out of traffic is devastating to a defense.

WHAT NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

Technique. Irvin's so talented that he's capable of playing nearly anywhere in the offensive or defensive backfield and, of course, in the return game. That's both a blessing and a curse for the coaching staff that has him in 2015. Irvin will need to refine his technical skills in order to harness his raw gifts. Once he settles into a single position, in addition to his kick return duties, watch out becaus he's special with the ball in his hands.

WHAT'S NEXT

The end zone. Michael Irvin's nephew brings a different style to the gridiron than his Hall-Of-Fame uncle, but don't be surprised to see similar bottom lines from their college careers. Tim is smaller and more compact than Michael was at Miami, but he seems capable of being every bit the playmaker that No. 47 was for the Hurricanes in his day. Irvin needs to touch the football to score and should his next head coach should have his head examined if he fails to instruct his OC and special teams coach to get in his capable hands.

Archived