2015 5* CB Iman Marshall (USC signee)

AEAugirl

This is kind of a huge deal...

That we are 10 months behind everyone else?

Or maybe the fact that he's even kind of giving us a look after we're 10 months "behind" everyone else. You could always be more optimistic instead of shooting down any positivity. But that's just a thought.

Also, maybe it's a good that all the best players in the country got together and, after it was over, one of the very best of the best was suddenly in play for Auburn? Maybe we'd be happy to find out about how kids were talking about Auburn down there? Also, maybe it reinforces the idea that we have made some really, really good hires lately?

I agree I think it's impressive we are gEttinger interest. I just can't see why we wouldn't offer till now.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or maybe the fact that he's even kind of giving us a look after we're 10 months "behind" everyone else. You could always be more optimistic instead of shooting down any positivity. But that's just a thought.

Also, maybe it's a good that all the best players in the country got together and, after it was over, one of the very best of the best was suddenly in play for Auburn? Maybe we'd be happy to find out about how kids were talking about Auburn down there? Also, maybe it reinforces the idea that we have made some really, really good hires lately?

I agree I think it's impressive we are gEttinger interest. I just can't see why we wouldn't offer till now.

Most 5* boys from Cali don't end up in Auburn...

Most 5* boys from Cali don't end up in Auburn...

To be fair to Mwideman, a lot of programs in our region have already offered.

Of course, we also just got a new DC and CB coach. Doesn't answer "why", but maybe the concern is addressed in a way.

California has nothing to do with it. What effort does it take to pull up a rankings list and put a conditional offer in the mail to the #1 CB in the country ? EJ should have been doing that for the top players at every position in the defense. smh

California has nothing to do with it. What effort does it take to pull up a rankings list and put a conditional offer in the mail to the #1 CB in the country ? EJ should have been doing that for the top players at every position in the defense. smh

This^^

I'm probably wrong but I've been under the impression for a while that EJ didn't recruit unless his input was needed or requested. That was done by the Recruiting Coordinator/Chief Recruiter (Garner and Craig). Of course I know Ellis is the favorite whipping boy for Defensive issues by most on this forum.

I'm probably wrong but I've been under the impression for a while that EJ didn't recruit unless his input was needed or requested. That was done by the Recruiting Coordinator/Chief Recruiter (Garner and Craig). Of course I know Ellis is the favorite whipping boy for Defensive issues by most on this forum.

His field product was not the best though even with the extra non recruiting time. Pruitt, Janken, Smart, and other top notch DC's recruit actively for the players they need in their system in conjunction with a recruiting coordinator and full time DC job. He was the captain of the defense, set the strategy, called the plays etc. It was on him to get it done - and he did not. A fact he accepted when he was dismissed.

It was EJ's responsibility to make sure it was done on the defensive side. He can delegate the task to anybody but not the ultimate responsibility. It has nothing to do with your "whipping boy" remark.

As of now, Marshall isn't planning on even visiting AU. Just my opinion, but I'm not going to get too excited about this one until he at least schedules an OV.

If Marshall visits I think EJs remaining contract should be void for never offering.

The guy lives in California! The normal process is to send a letter to gauge the player's interest, and hundreds of such letters are sent every year. If there is no response from someone way off, no further time and effort is wasted. If he's right next door that changes things.

EJ cannot in any way be faulted for not sending a coach out to the west coast to a player that has shown zero interest in the Auburn program. Remember, nobody gets a committable offer until they have had a face-to-face with Gus. Is it Gus's fault for not flying to Cali to talk to a disinterested prospect?

If Marshall visits I think EJs remaining contract should be void for never offering.

The guy lives in California! The normal process is to send a letter to gauge the player's interest, and hundreds of such letters are sent every year. If there is no response from someone way off, no further time and effort is wasted. If he's right next door that changes things.

EJ cannot in any way be faulted for not sending a coach out to the west coast to a player that has shown zero interest in the Auburn program. Remember, nobody gets a committable offer until they have had a face-to-face with Gus. Is it Gus's fault for not flying to Cali to talk to a disinterested prospect?

As much as Mikey and I disagree about a great many things, this is not one of them: he's spot on. We went after Marshall either because TRob and Muschamp already had a relationship with him, or because they decided to go looking and their hire created enough stir to draw some apparent interest from him. No more, no less.

As much as Mikey and I disagree about a great many things, but this is not one of them: he's spot on. We went after Marshall either because TRob and Muschamp already had a relationship with him, or because they decided to go looking and their hire created enough stir to draw some apparent interest from him. No more, no less.

^What those guys said^

As much as Mikey and I disagree about a great many things, but this is not one of them: he's spot on. We went after Marshall either because TRob and Muschamp already had a relationship with him, or because they decided to go looking and their hire created enough stir to draw some apparent interest from him. No more, no less.

^What those guys said^

Sorry, I have to disagree right here with some of my favorite posters. Nobody has to fly out there. It's all well and good to send letters to gauge interest. But to the #1 and #2 player at every position, especially on defense right now, send a conditional offer no matter where he lives or whether he has already expressed interest. You can set the conditions at anything you want. It costs you nothing but a stamp and lets him know early on you are really serious.

^What those guys said^

Sorry, I have to disagree right here with some of my favorite posters. Nobody has to fly out there. It's all well and good to send letters to gauge interest. But to the #1 and #2 player at every position, especially on defense right now, send a conditional offer no matter where he lives or whether he has already expressed interest. You can set the conditions at anything you want. It costs you nothing but a stamp and lets him know early on you are really serious.

I hear ya, but I also am not opposed to us asking something- anything- of the kid before we offer him. Yes, he's a 5*-rated player, but we're Auburn.

Also, depending on the verbiage of the letter that did get sent, is it necessarily so different from a conditional offer? Can't the message in both cases be "We're serious about you, but we need to know that you could possibly be serious about us"? Honest question. I'm punching above my weight here knowledge-wise.

^What those guys said^

#1 and #2 according to whom? Remember, our coaches do their own evaluations, and those evaluations begin long before most of us have ever heard of the kids.

And that's kinda my point about the changeover. Marshall might well turn out to be all that he is hyped to be, but the coaches are going to stick to the kids they have been recruiting and have gotten a feel for, lest those recruits get wind of Auburn looking elsewhere when they said they weren't going to (just as an example). Since CWM came back in, he has the positioning to make a play for a top rated corner on the other side of the country, even though the previous staff didn't pick up on him quickly enough to garner interest.

At least, that's my take on it, anyway.

You guys had a pretty serious debate over something said in jest. However, I do see both sides of the argument and learned some stuff so win win.

All those schools suck they don't have muschamp,what's this kid thinking.

USC lock. Move on.

USC wasn't even one of his visits.

Archived