Why the offense and the defense will be better next year.

DivisionN

In brief:

Offense: Coach Malzahn will finally have an offense that perfectly fits what he does best. At QB we will have a strong-armed QB with the ability to run enough to keep the defense honest. We will have an experienced, deep and talented offensive line with plenty of competition for starting spots. We will have two running backs that are big bruising runners with speed and one shifty, elusive runner. The receivers will be experienced, fast and proven. We will have a true H-back that can block. I believe Gus will mold this unit into the best in the SEC by season's end.

Defense: Will Muschamp. Carl Lawson. A deep and experienced secondary. Veteran, talented and good-sized linebackers. Enough decent interior linemen to get the job done. We can only get better with this unit.

Special teams: Our kicker is a good one. The disappointments of this season will motivate him to be even better. Our punting situation will iron itself out.(I hope)

Intangibles: Hungry. Something to prove, even to the coaching staff. Defense is going to have an edge next year. I expect a lot of hitting. The offensive line.. so talented and deep. The guys know that they MUST be good to keep their jobs.

I honestly believe that we will be one of the best in the nation next year. The beginning of the seaon is the scary part. Louisville, Arkansas, in particular will be tough. As the season goes on, we get better and better.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it looks good. I like the talent level of the returning players on offense. Receiver, outside of Duke, is unproven. Ricardo is experienced but up and down. Others haven't had a lot of playing time so we'll see there. O line also looks good but the replacement for Reece is key. How well they mesh together will tell the tale.

Center and defensive tackle will be the critical pieces to the puzzle.

I expect the transfer from Ole Miss (whose name slips me) to win the center position for the next three years.

We have a lot of proven receivers with llots of playing time. With JJ at QB I expect them to shine. Plus, expect at least on star to come in from recruiting.

I believe the defense will be better only because it cant get worse. Not sure how good it will be based on personnel, but because of change of staff, should be better.

Offense should be comparable to what Gus has done in years past.

ST needs to improve in all areas.

AU will have to beat three teams in the west that I believe will have better teams than the ones that we played this year (lsu, aTm and Ark.). If Dak comes back, MS. ST will be tough again, ole miss may not be as good next year, but Bama will be the team to beat in the west again.

UA and Ark will be tough. Hopefully Dak will go pro with the great bowl game he had. LSU and Ole Miss have huge issues. Schedule gets easier, D will improve. We need to ride Duke Williams like UA did with Cooper while mixing in heavy run. Carlson is going to be a good one, he is just handling a lot this season.

UA and Ark will be tough. Hopefully Dak will go pro with the great bowl game he had. LSU and Ole Miss have huge issues. Schedule gets easier, D will improve. We need to ride Duke Williams like UA did with Cooper while mixing in heavy run. Carlson is going to be a good one, he is just handling a lot this season.

Dak is returning.

I believe the defense will be better only because it cant get worse. Not sure how good it will be based on personnel, but because of change of staff, should be better.

AU will have to beat three teams in the west that I believe will have better teams than the ones that we played this year (lsu, aTm and Ark.). If Dak comes back, MS. ST will be tough again, ole miss may not be as good next year, but Bama will be the team to beat in the west again.

uat will not be in the top 3 in the West. Sorry to burst your little dark pink bubble. :-)

uat will not be in the top 3 in the West. Sorry to burst your little dark pink bubble. :-)

It's difficult to believe they won't be in the top three until they're not. They've rode that horse a long time now.

Nothing but optimism for the defense. Looking forward to seeing how we finish the deffensive recruiting of this cycle. Think our secondary will actually be the strongest part of our d next year.

Offensively I feel more worried about. 1) replacing disukes will be obviously the mostimportantart. Everything starts with the line and the effectiveness of the line starts at C. 2) WR depth and inexperience (true game experience) Outside of Duke worries me. Plus if we flip Burt, I do not know what we are getting there since he did not have a good showing in the UA game, 1 catch maybe. But that could be do to lack of chemistry with the QBs. 3) If you watch the 1st half of the Ark game I have worries with our running game with Johnson at the helm. His passing is unquestionable. I THINK that our offense will resemble 2009's with drop back passing off PA looking deep with go routes and posts.

The schedule will obviously be easier but still very challenging as there seems to be more parity in the west plus us playing Louisville will be a challenging first game for Muschamp's D.

Special teams to me this year was average. Carlson did a great job I think. Has a bright future. Punting is definitely a different story. Hopefully Ian will sure up that spot. Coverage is where I'm most concerned. I wasn''t too impressed there. KO's specificaly (when carlson didn't get the touchback)

Playcalling is an inexact science and Gus certainly has his struggles in key moments but he seems to come out on the positive so I try not to focus on that too much.

IMHO the mental part of the game is what concerns me most. Gus saying that the Thuga loss might have been layover affects from TAMU us not what you want to hear. Young adults we deal with I know but it would be nice to move past that immaturity and play to win anytime you step on the field. Maybe it's my ultracompetitiveness but I could not stand losing at anything especially football. Bggest motivation for me was losing. Made me work harder not play worse bc I was disappointed that we lost last week.

Whatever happens next year I'm stoked about the coaching additions and the future of Auburn football.

WDE

I agree bearcat. They have guys on the bench just waiting to take their turn, plus so called #1 recruiting class coming in.

"They" have the "#1" class for the past 123 years or so....more to it than Stars...

It's foolish to think Bama won't be in the top 3 of the west

Only the delusional or moronic would think spuat is not a favorite to win the west.

wde

They'll be in the top 3 but they won't win it. Without winning the west, they won't be in the SECCG and thus won't make the playoff.

Only the delusional or moronic would think spuat is not a favorite to win the west.

wde

Agreed. With the way they've recruited it's silly to think they won't be able to sustain their success. Heck, I hate them too but they've lost a total of 11 games in the past 7 years. Until they show a drop-off I'll feel safe assuming they'll be really good

wde

Agreed. With the way they've recruited it's silly to think they won't be able to sustain their success. Heck, I hate them too but they've lost a total of 11 games in the past 7 years. Until they show a drop-off I'll feel safe assuming they'll be really good

Most with a functional brain will agree. The proof is in the pudding. It is foolish (or delusional) to think or believe otherwise given their record since 2008. I agree that it sucks out loud, but that is just the way it is.

wde

I do not see LSU being much better than 8-4 next season. Chavis was an excellent DC and will be hard to find someone better or as good. Bammer will be interesting no doubt. After another 2 or likely more losses next season, the cracks will turn into huge chunks in the world of bammers. I have a gift of seeing things before they happen about 2% of the time. I do think I am within the 2% parameters. Arky & Auburn will fight to win the west and likely the SEC.

I do not see LSU being much better than 8-4 next season. Chavis was an excellent DC and will be hard to find someone better or as good. Bammer will be interesting no doubt. After another 2 or likely more losses next season, the cracks will turn into huge chunks in the world of bammers. I have a gift of seeing things before they happen about 2% of the time. I do think I am within the 2% parameters. Arky & Auburn will fight to win the west and likely the SEC.

I wouldn't rule out A&M. With the addition of Chavis that will make them a much more dangerous team.

I see no way Arkansas is better than Bama next year. They'll be good but let's be a little more realistic. A&M will be really good. Mississippi State will still be tough. Bama won't be elite but they're not dropping to 4th in the division. I'd love to see it but based on recent events it's not likely. I legitimately see us as the most equipped team to win the West right now.

I see no way Arkansas is better than Bama next year. They'll be good but let's be a little more realistic. A&M will be really good. Mississippi State will still be tough. Bama won't be elite but they're not dropping to 4th in the division. I'd love to see it but based on recent events it's not likely. I legitimately see us as the most equipped team to win the West right now.

Honestly?

We have to replace one of the best statistical QBs in Auburn history

Our 1st 2 RBs, one of which just lead the SEC in rushing

The Remington winning center

A late 1st early 2nd round Jr WR in Coates, a definite playmaker in Quan Bray

Both Fulse AND Uzomah

And thats JUST the offensive side of the ball...

Honestly?

Both Fulse AND Uzomah

You bring about good points, but I think you need to look at the overall package. Our O line did not block consistently well this season. I think that will improve next season even with the holes that need to be filled. Golson stands to be quite the savior on the O line, and I look for a battle to happen for playing time in the backfield between Roc and Jovon with Kerryon pushing himself in as well. The jury is out on Barbour, and he will have something to prove given his limited role this year. I look for Melvin Ray to become a thermonuclear deep ball threat making us ask; "Sammie who?" (No offense to Sammie).

All is not lost on the offense next season, and by all means I believe we'll be having a QB battle between two highly talented kids, at least.

Defense? There will be improvements.

Anyone else read that OA article talking discipline? That's a little concerning.

The competition next year? Ole Miss is the only team in the West that is incapable of a 10 win season unless they have a QB I'm not aware of. ATM is going to a nightmare, UAT is uat, and Arky will win their share. LSU is the question mark.

We could very well find ourselves in the cellar again if current trends aren't stopped, btw.

Honestly?

Both Fulse AND Uzomah

You bring about good points, but I think you need to look at the overall package. Our O line did not block consistently well this season. I think that will improve next season even with the holes that need to be filled. Golson stands to be quite the savior on the O line, and I look for a battle to happen for playing time in the backfield between Roc and Jovon with Kerryon pushing himself in as well. The jury is out on Barbour, and he will have something to prove given his limited role this year. I look for Melvin Ray to become a thermonuclear deep ball threat making us ask; "Sammie who?" (No offense to Sammie).

All is not lost on the offense next season, and by all means I believe we'll be having a QB battle between two highly talented kids, at least.

Defense? There will be improvements.

Anyone else read that OA article talking discipline? That's a little concerning.

The competition next year? Ole Miss is the only team in the West that is incapable of a 10 win season unless they have a QB I'm not aware of. ATM is going to a nightmare, UAT is uat, and Arky will win their share. LSU is the question mark.

We could very well find ourselves in the cellar again if current trends aren't stopped, btw.

You think after losing the QB of the line and Kozan to a possibly career ending injury, the line will magically gel and become a cohesive unit? Maybe, but I just dont know.

Also, ROC is NOT an every down back and wont be until his JR season at the earliest. He is just FAAAAAAAAAAR TOOOOOOOO small. Our other RBs, while they all have worlds of potential, are unproven. Same can be said of WRs other than Duke, Ricardo, Davis, and Melvin Ray.

Archived