Why the offense and the defense will be better next year.

DivisionN

Sims was not even on the radar going into Spring ball. They felt they had found their savior in f$u Coker. Now, we will see if they have an SEC caliber qb.

I think they have a freshman coming in that was one of the best in the country. Of course every bammer recruit is like that. Even so a freshman in this league generally struggles.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

uat caught "lightening in a bottle" this year with Blake Sims. Without him and cooper..........Time will tell........

"Lightning in a bottle"? Time has told. They have had 10-win seasons, at least 1 week at #1 and top-5 (usually #1) recruiting classes almost every season that Saban has been there.

I'll give it to ya, WarTim. You do not stray off course. WDE

We don't want to acknowledge bama's success too much...make us look weak.....and speaking of weakness...or perceived weakness, could it be that bama's defense is it's future Achilles heel?

I think it will be Saban's stubbornness to evolve with the game that will be their Achilles heel.

Not sure how the stubbornness fits in but it you look at bama's recruits over the past few years, a majority of those 5* players they sign have been on the defensive side of the ball ....and yet, the power offenses have found ways to move the ball on them a little better each year. Gus wrote the book on them for the IB and seems that OSU took some pages from it and ripped off almost as many yards as AU did and enough points to win.

I'm back beating my drum over the offense/defense issue and still contend that defenses win championships only when your offense can outscore the other guy. Good defenses are having a hard time stopping good offenses these days.

I see no way Arkansas is better than Bama next year. They'll be good but let's be a little more realistic. A&M will be really good. Mississippi State will still be tough. Bama won't be elite but they're not dropping to 4th in the division. I'd love to see it but based on recent events it's not likely. I legitimately see us as the most equipped team to win the West right now.

Honestly?

We have to replace one of the best statistical QBs in Auburn history

Our 1st 2 RBs, one of which just lead the SEC in rushing

The Remington winning center

A late 1st early 2nd round Jr WR in Coates, a definite playmaker in Quan Bray

Both Fulse AND Uzomah

And thats JUST the offensive side of the ball...

Meh.

1) Marshall may be a great QB, statistically, but from what I saw, JJ is far and away a better passer, and will open up our passing game tremendously.

2) CAP led the SEC b/c of the offense. ROC and JR are both more physically gifted runners than either CAP or Grant. CAP and Grant have great heart, but not the skills of a Roc or a JR.

3) Yeah, that one will hurt (Dismukes).

4) We get Duke back, and we already have some VERY good WRs on the roster. To me, JJ was much better at utilizing all of the WRs, and I think that you will see the ball spread around more.

5) I think that Fulse an Uzomah combined for about 13 catches this season. I can't comment on how effective their blocking was, maybe it was crucial?, but I'm pretty sure that is what C. Cox is being recruited for.

uat caught "lightening in a bottle" this year with Blake Sims. Without him and cooper..........Time will tell........

"Lightning in a bottle"? Time has told. They have had 10-win seasons, at least 1 week at #1 and top-5 (usually #1) recruiting classes almost every season that Saban has been there.

I'll give it to ya, WarTim. You do not stray off course. WDE

We don't want to acknowledge bama's success too much...make us look weak.....and speaking of weakness...or perceived weakness, could it be that bama's defense is it's future Achilles heel?

I think it will be Saban's stubbornness to evolve with the game that will be their Achilles heel.

Not sure how the stubbornness fits in but it you look at bama's recruits over the past few years, a majority of those 5* players they sign have been on the defensive side of the ball ....and yet, the power offenses have found ways to move the ball on them a little better each year. Gus wrote the book on them for the IB and seems that OSU took some pages from it and ripped off almost as many yards as AU did and enough points to win.

I'm back beating my drum over the offense/defense issue and still contend that defenses win championships only when your offense can outscore the other guy. Good defenses are having a hard time stopping good offenses these days.

By his stubbornness I mean instead of him figuring out how to stop the HUNH he petitioned for the offseason rule change to where there has to be a guaranteed time between plays so the defense has time switch personnel. But then of course with the hiring of Kiffin they were seen running that same HUNH which I'm sure he was not a fan of.

uat is headed backwards..........JMHO.......3-2-1- bash away! :-\

My prediction: If every year we predict UA to begin falling off, eventually we will be right.

This is the first time I know of, in a game that mattered, that Nick lost a game with more than one week to prepare. Yeah they've lost games when they had extra time but they just were mailing it in for those. Not only did they lose but it probably should not have been that close. 40+ points in consecutive games, unfathomable.

This is the first time I know of, in a game that mattered, that Nick lost a game with more than one week to prepare. Yeah they've lost games when they had extra time but they just were mailing it in for those. Not only did they lose but it probably should not have been that close. 40+ points in consecutive games, unfathomable.

It wasn't exactly consecutive, Missouri was squeezed in there. I agree, however, with the point of your post. His team and specifically his calling card, the defense, crumbled in it's biggest and most important performance of the year.

This same tahd team (2014) probably loses to the same Ole Miss team they played, aTm w/ Chavis as DC and Auburn w/ CWM as DC.... PLUS, I give LSU a slight chance at getting a good DC as well plus (do they play?) UF w/ their new regime... Again, I don't think the tahd regresses as much as their competition grows.

It wasn't exactly consecutive, Missouri was squeezed in there. I agree, however, with the point of your post. His team and specifically his calling card, the defense, crumbled in it's biggest and most important performance of the year.

forgot about Missouri. That might as well have been a scrimmage for all the chance they had.

Some of these guys are very talented and maybe more so than players that played this year. Experience is a huge factor. A full offseason in the S&C program will pay enormously. As for Kozan, he's right on track with his rehab and actually seems to be ahead to some degree. I expect he'll be ready to go by the time fall practice starts. Could even make it back for spring practice.

I hope this is spot on. The one I am most excited about seeing is Andrew Williams. Signing him was a big deal. It concerned me that with our problems at DE he still took a redshirt, but I know I saw on another site that he is progressing very well while Justin Thornton may be a few years off.

I really think by at least midseason he will be a force at DE backing up either Lawson and Lawrence.

Sims was not even on the radar going into Spring ball. They felt they had found their savior in f$u Coker. Now, we will see if they have an SEC caliber qb.

I think they have a freshman coming in that was one of the best in the country. Of course every bammer recruit is like that. Even so a freshman in this league generally struggles.

Yup Blake Barnett, the #1 dual threat QB in the nation. I dont see how they pull this kid. He is like a square peg going into a round hole. He will enjoy riding the pine for his career...

Usually the term dual threat automatically puts in a person's mind that a qb is limited in a certain type of offense when they're not

Usually the term dual threat automatically puts in a person's mind that a qb is limited in a certain type of offense when they're not

...and to take it a step further, Nick & JJ are both considered "dual threat" but I don't think anybody would consider them the same type QB. I think dual threat simply means that a QB can run without looking like he's carrying a piano on his back and throw like....well.....a quarterback.

Has anyone looked at Mis. St. Depth chart. Even if Dak comes back they are losing over half the team. If bama's off. is going to be any good next year it will be with a freshman qb. not a good sign. I think Saban/Kiffin will emplode this year.

Exactly. Just because you can run doesn't automatically mean you can't run a pro style offense. If you have a good arm and accuracy you can make any offense work

I don't if they will be good or not but last year people were saying Simms would suck. As long as they have a strong running game to work play action off of they will be dangerous. Every qb on their roster was a #1 recruit some time or another guess it depends if a light comes on or not

I believe the defense will be better only because it cant get worse. Not sure how good it will be based on personnel, but because of change of staff, should be better.

Offense should be comparable to what Gus has done in years past.

ST needs to improve in all areas.

AU will have to beat three teams in the west that I believe will have better teams than the ones that we played this year (lsu, aTm and Ark.). If Dak comes back, MS. ST will be tough again, ole miss may not be as good next year, but Bama will be the team to beat in the west again.

uat will not be in the top 3 in the West. Sorry to burst your little dark pink bubble. :-)

As many times as we as a fan base say this, its rarely ever true. 2010 was a massive anomaly where Arkansas, Auburn, and LSU were all elite teams. I'm not sure that's ever occurred since 1992.

Arkansas is still not gonna have an elite passing game or even good, and I believe one of their RBs are leaving

LSU isn't gonna have their best DC in history

Auburn is gonna be missing most of their offensive production and will be implementing a new defense for the second time since 2012.

TAMU will also be implementing another defense and although they'll have a great offense, this once again depends on defense

Alabama is the safest pick once again to win the West, and with the most talented team (again) all they really need to do is replace Coop, White, and Sims. The QB part is a bit more difficult, especially for UA, but they just keep on flowing with amazing receivers.

I don't if they will be good or not but last year people were saying Simms would suck. As long as they have a strong running game to work play action off of they will be dangerous. Every qb on their roster was a #1 recruit some time or another guess it depends if a light comes on or not

I don't care if he turns out to be everything he is said to be. He's still a true freshman. He will not have an easy time. You don't win the SEC with a true freshman qb.

They have more qb's on their roster besides that freshman. I don't know why you all are even speaking on the true freshman actually

They have more qb's on their roster besides that freshman. I don't know why you all are even speaking on the true freshman actually

Who else is there? They brought in Coker because they didn't trust any of the ones already there. Who are they going to turn to?

Just because redshirt freshmen and sophomores weren't ready at the time doesn't mean they won't ever be. Then you also have the you don't know what a guy has until you put him out there (see Ohio st)

Just because redshirt freshmen and sophomores weren't ready at the time doesn't mean they won't ever be. Then you also have the you don't know what a guy has until you put him out there (see Ohio st)

I just think they are overestimating these guys. Up until this last year they've had an heir apparent ready to go. Without a ready made schedule and a down AU team, they don't win the west. I said it last year and I still believe it to be true. We have seen the apex of Alabama football under Nick Saban. I'm not predicting their imminent demise but they are not the juggernaut they were.

Yeah that's what we all want to believe, but I don't see how anybody could think we are going to be so much better as we lose players and they are going to be so much worse....

Yeah that's what we all want to believe, but I don't see how anybody could think we are going to be so much better as we lose players and they are going to be so much worse....

Like I said, I'm not predicting them to be markedly worse just not quite what they were. They'll still be a force to contend with. It will be harder because everyone else is elevating their programs. They will have to compete instead of just walking in and dominating. Everyone has a weakness, some area they have problems with. Nick does not do well covering in space. Gus put the blueprint out there last year. Oklahoma followed suit. You have to have the players to take advantage of that. Make him adjust on the fly. Nobody is rolling over for them any longer. That intimidation factor is as much a part of his success as anything else.

Archived