New Defense & Positional Changes

tsande07

From what I understand of Muschamp's defense, it is a base 4-3 with a flex player ("Buck") who can stand up and play a 3-4 OLB role to show odd fronts. I also believe someone here mentioned that the two remaining safety spots are considered interchangeable.

My question, for those who are very familiar with the roster, is how well do our personnel - excluding uncommitted prospects - fit the system and who might be moved to a new position under the new scheme?

Examples: "I think Carl Lawson will play the Buck." "I think Derrick Moncrief might get a look at OLB."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I understand of Muschamp's defense, it is a base 4-3 with a flex player ("Buck") who can stand up and play a 3-4 OLB role to show odd fronts. I also believe someone here mentioned that the two remaining safety spots are considered interchangeable.

My question, for those who are very familiar with the roster, is how well do our personnel - excluding uncommitted prospects - fit the system and who might be moved to a new position under the new scheme?

Examples: "I think Carl Lawson will play the Buck." "I think Derrick Moncrief might get a look at OLB."

You are asking a good question. Other than Lawson, I don't think we have a player that's both tough enough and fast enough to flex from DE to OLB. Maybe Cass McKinzy or Lawson can do that.

Tre Williams should develop into an exceptional linebacker by next year but I don't see him playing with his hand on the ground at DE. We have several (4) linebacker prospects committed that have good speed. OLB should not be a problem.

I also wonder what Muschamp's track record is on playing freshmen. There are some names on the recruiting board that look talented enough physically to earn significant playing time if they come to Auburn.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think the "buck" role is what Muschamp is selling Cowart on. He's basically stated he wants the "Dante Fowler" role and any school that does not have him "standing up" is basically out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think the "buck" role is what Muschamp is selling Cowart on. He's basically stated he wants the "Dante Fowler" role and any school that does not have him "standing up" is basically out.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. Lawson strikes me as the same type of player. That's a good one-two if you ask me.

McKinzy, Lawson, Kennion and Cowart would be my best guess. Thornton and Holland (Not Jake) should get a look at 'Buck" as well.

McKinzy, Lawson, Kennion and Cowart would be my best guess. Thornton and Holland (Not Jake) should get a look at 'Buck" as well.

Hey! The OP said no uncommitted recruits! :)

Hey! The OP said no uncommitted recruits! :)/>

Whoops, missed that part.

Hey! The OP said no uncommitted recruits! :)/>

Whoops, missed that part.

Oh my bad... I guess I'm McFly! :no:

Andrew Williams might be a good candidate. Nobody else really jumps out at me beyond the names already mentioned.

I've heard Williams has a strong chance of playing inside for us.

Andrew Williams might be a good candidate. Nobody else really jumps out at me beyond the names already mentioned.

I've heard that, also. Mainly just bored at work and wanting to participate :)

He came in a little smaller than most interior DL, but I know they can add a lot of weight on these guys. He redshirted, right?

I've heard that, also. Mainly just bored at work and wanting to participate :)/>

He came in a little smaller than most interior DL, but I know they can add a lot of weight on these guys. He redshirted, right?

I sure hope so because he never stepped foot on the field

I've heard that, also. Mainly just bored at work and wanting to participate :)/>

He'll likely be a redshirt then. No reason not to.

I was just thinking about him. It's going to be interesting to see what they do with him after his redshirt.

+1

If a first year guy doesn't play at all, he is by default a redshirt. Every guy gets five years to play four. There is nothing to "declare" or anything. If a player doesn't play, he's redshirted by default unless he's already used his non-playing year.

I'm still thinking Thornton will be very good

Yes, me too. I am hoping Thornton and Kennion are both hard at work this off season packing on about 25 pounds of muscle to those 6'5" and 6'6" frames.

Good question, actually. I believe Adams is the only scholarship DT we have remaining listed over 300 lbs. Commit Jauntavius Johnson is listed at 330, but will be a true freshman. Can Deon Mix play DT?

I read he was injured at some point. Whether that was accurate, I can't say.

I read he was injured at some point. Whether that was accurate, I can't say.

So I was going to throw out Rasshed Kennion might be that player we are looking for next year for the edge rush. Below is a free article on the Freshman class and what to expect next year. It was posted on 12/10 keep that in mind. I think if you take emotion out of it and read that article you will see why I thought next year is going to be a break out year for the Auburn Defense. The last paragraph is very interesting I am not sure if he is trying to drum up clicks but it was an interesting way to end the article.

http://auburn.247spo...erview-33727321

Auburn's 2014 recruiting class was ranked No. 6 in the 247Sports rankings, but the immediate impact felt on the field wasn't all that substantial. Seven of Auburn's 18 true freshmen played this season, three on offense and four on defense.

Tre' Williams and Roc Thomas played significant roles this season and that's not surprising, they were both 5-star prospects from the state of Alabama. Williams finished with 13 total tackles and one quarterback hurry, including a start against LSU. Williams played special teams also, playing in all 12 games. Thomas carried the ball 43 times for 214 yards and two touchdowns, while catching six passes for 27 yards. Thomas played in every game except the opener against Arkansas.

What's next? Williams will undoubtedly play more in 2015, but could still be fighting to break into the starting lineup if Cassanova McKinzyand Kris Frost return. Williams has the talent and aggression, but like McKinzy and Frost, will be learning a new defense next season. The fact that all linebackers are learning a new system could elevate Williams' chances of earning a starting role. The door is wide open for Thomas next season, as seniors Cameron Artis-Payne and Corey Grant graduate. Thomas will battle Peyton Barber, and newcomersJovon Robinson and Kerryon Johnson in the backfield, but should have the leg up on them all entering spring practice.

Braden Smith, Raashed Kennion, Stephen Roberts, Nick Ruffin and Stanton Truitt all played this season, seemingly earning more playing time earlier in the season than late. Smith played backup offensive tackle, but mostly played as a third tackle in jumbo formations allowing Auburn to overload one side of the offensive line. Smith's role was featured in the red zone. Smith played in 11 games, minus the Tigers trip to Kansas State. Kennion recorded one tackle and one quarterback hurry in four games, but suffered a leg injury that took him of action for a brief period. Roberts had one forced fumble playing in ten games, Ruffin had two pass breakups in 11 games, and Truitt caught two passes for 13 yards in three games before being injured after the LSU game and missing the remainder of the season.

What's next? Smith will compete for playing time with Shon Coleman, Patrick Miller and Avery Young at the tackle position. Young is thinking about an early departure to the NFL, but could return and play tackle or guard, while Coleman and Miller are strictly tackles. Smith has plenty of physical abilities and almost earned a starting position earlier this season after the Tigers' offensive line play was less than stellar.

Kennion could be the surprise player from the class and without a plethora of edge rushers - even when Carl Lawson returns - Kennion should be a big part of what Auburn does on defense in 2015, regardless who the coordinator is. Roberts and Ruffin were thrown into the fire early this season and performed admirably, but it will be interesting to see their development. Ruffin played the star position, a position that doesn't exist anymore without the 4-2-5 defense. Roberts played safety, but could also play corner. Their roles moving forward will largely be determined by who the next defensive coordinator is.

Truitt has elite speed and will find a niche within Auburn's offense, but where? Marcus Davis is a similar player and will be ahead of Truitt on the depth chart. With Grant leaving, the "speed sweep" role is open and could be an attractive position for Truitt, if the slot receiver position is mostly filled. Truitt will play, but where and how much is yet to be determined.

The redshirts include Kalvarez Bessent, Markell Boston, Myron Burton, Deshaun Davis, Jakell Mitchell,Kamryn Pettway, Dontavius Russell, Justin Thornton, Sean White, Andrew Williams and Chris Laye. How will things shake out for these 11 redshirt freshmen next season? Raashed Kennion has the size and length to help Auburn at defensive end. (Photo: Anthony Hall, 247Sports)

There's no question Bessent will be in position to help an inconsistent Auburn secondary. Boston was a safety/star player whose new role, like Roberts and Ruffin, will depend on the next coordinator. Burton was recruited as a physical slot receiver and could have a big opportunity next season if Auburn loses wideouts to the NFL, meaning spots are open and competition ensues across the board. Davis has now sat out from football for two seasons after being injured prior to his senior year in high school. Davis has grown to 230-plus pounds and will certainly have his chance with a new defensive scheme.Brandon Fulse and C.J. Uzomah graduate, meaning the H-Back position is wide open and that's exactly what Mitchell was recruited for. Mitchell needed to grow in size and he's done that, pushing 230 pounds.

The question of whether Auburn can find another Jay Prosch could begin to be answered in the spring as Pettway takes on a larger role. Pettway is a running back, but with the 230-plus pound size and agility to block between the tackles or in open space. Russell stands 6-foot-3, 300 pounds and has earned praise behind the scenes from Rodney Garner. Auburn loses four defensive tackles and there may not be another player setup for an increased role more than Russell. Thornton remains a question mark as he not only has to continue to gain weight, but remain focused on his academics. The 6-foot-4, 250-pound Williams, like Kennion, will be looked upon for quick growth this spring as Auburn seeks edge rushers for its new defensive schemes. Laye, like Mitchell, will have his opportunity to provide help at the H-Back and tight end positions with the departure of Fulse and Uzomah.

That brings us to White. Most assume rising junior Jeremy Johnson has the quarterback position sewn up for next season, but from talking to many people around the program and who witnessed multiple practices last season, that assumption would be wrong. White has the accuracy that Gus Malzahn loves and the mobility to move out of the pocket and evade trouble. Johnson has the experience, arm strength and confidence, but White will push him in the spring and moving forward, That's a good thing for Auburn.

Archived