New Defense & Positional Changes

tsande07

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
still thinking Thornton will be very good

I saw this on another website about Thornton:

Justin Thornton has a long, long way to go. He is skinny for a HS Basketball player, much less a SEC DE. That was the biggest letdown of the day. Dont expect him to contribute next fall unless he makes MAJOR changes.

Dont expect him to see the field

Just thought I'd share

Justin Thornton has a long, long way to go. He is skinny for a HS Basketball player, much less a SEC DE. That was the biggest letdown of the day. Dont expect him to contribute next fall unless he makes MAJOR changes.

Just thought I'd share

I copy/pasted the exact same thing in the OP of the Practice Notes thread here

Just thought I'd share

"Skinny" is fixable with physical maturity and strength and conditioning training. Case in point: Dee Ford was 190 lbs in high school.

Just thought I'd share

"Skinny" is fixable with physical maturity and strength and conditioning training. Case in point: Dee Ford was 190 lbs in high school.

Yeah, I remember Dee when he was in HS. On the same token, he didnt make an impact until his SR season. Not at all saying I expect the see same out of Thornton, but if he is small for a basketball player, the odds he sees the field before his JR season seem pretty slim.

I wish nothing but the best for Thornton, at least when we see him on the field, we will KNOW he worked his tail off to get there.

I just hope he can get his academics under control.

Just thought I'd share

I copy/pasted the exact same thing in the OP of the Practice Notes thread here

Yeah that's why I say I STILL expect him to make an impact, I don't just go off what somebody else says...

Just thought I'd share

Were they an issue in hs or his first semester at AU?

Just thought I'd share

Were they an issue in hs or his first semester at AU?

I dont know. The free article that eibua12 posted said he "must remain focused on academics."

For goodness sake I hope and pray Auburn will never see another preseason where the defense doesn't go LIVE again. How in the world the coaches expected this D to play at an SEC level when they didn't go full contact I will never comprehend.

IMO if you don't at least sometimes let the ones go against the ones your team is being handicapped

IMO if you don't at least sometimes let the ones go against the ones your team is being handicapped

Are we like that in practices? I really hope not. But if so, it would explain a LOT. That is how a team gets soft.

Just thought I'd share

yep, except for O'Mac....kid never gained an ounce in five years at AU. But he played his skinny little tail off for AU.

Are we like that in practices? I really hope not. But if so, it would explain a LOT. That is how a team gets soft.

It was reported before the season that we had backed off the physicality in practices due to injuries.

I'm not sure but somebody on this board said that. It made me think how in the hell can our tackles be good against the elite if we don't even have a good pass rusher on the roster

Just thought I'd share

yep, except for O'Mac....kid never gained an ounce in five years at AU. But he played his skinny little tail off for AU.

What about the "Lizzard", back in the 90s? He looked like 6th grader size-wise. He was elusive and fun to watch. I think the coaches thought that he was too little to get hurt. Do any of you remember "Tea-Pot Brown" ?

Just thought I'd share

What about the "Lizzard", back in the 90s? He looked like 6th grader size-wise. He was elusive and fun to watch. I think the coaches thought that he was too little to get hurt. Do any of you remember "Tea-Pot Brown" ?

oh yeah. He was fun and tough as rawhide leather.

Just thought I'd share

Tea Pot was short, but he was one of the best linebackers I have seen. He would light you up!

It was reported before the season that we had backed off the physicality in practices due to injuries.

Seems like Gus makes that call not Muschamp. I believe he will listen to Will after being too soft last year

Seems like Gus makes that call not Muschamp. I believe he will listen to Will after being too soft last year

That was most likely, CEJ that told Gus they should do that.

Just thought I'd share

Tea Pot was short, but he was one of the best linebackers I have seen. He would light you up!

Teapot was a Fullback!!!

Just thought I'd share

You want small?

Two words: Little Train

Just thought I'd share

You want small?

Two words: Little Train

I had a class with him and he was small. I was bigger than him at the time. Although he was ripped. He came back after his rookie season for winter quarter. I cannot remember the lineman who played for San Fran at the time but he was huge! They met up after class each day and that guy was bigger than the door!

So someone help me out here...we had 6 pages of good discussion, but I didn't see it mentioned what would actually MAKE a good "buck" in Muschamp's system. Is it speed? if so, lateral or vertical? strength? size? meanness? Someone throw an offense guy a bone here.

Archived