Nick Marshall was a baller

StatTiger

Nick Marshall Impact

• Finished his Auburn career with 6425-yards on 861 plays and 57 touchdowns. This includes 532 pass attempts, 326 rush attempts and 3 receptions.

• During the past two seasons the Auburn offense averaged 493.4 YPG and 37.6 PPG. This includes 501.5 YPG and 36.5 PPG in conference play.

• The 2013 and 2014 Auburn offenses were No. 2 and No. 3 in school history, generating impact plays or plays of 15-yards or more.

• Nick Marshall was the starting quarterback of 2 of the top-3 most efficient offenses in school history.

• Of the 264 impact plays generated the past two seasons, Nick Marshall was directly involved in 143 (54.2%).

• Nick Marshall was directly involved in 285 combined first downs and touchdowns, which meant that every 3 direct touches of the football by Marshall resulted in an Auburn first down or touchdown.

• Marshall improved from the No. 33 most efficient passer in the nation during 2013 to No. 15 in 2014. Of Auburn's 2-year starters or more, Nick Marshall is Auburn's second most efficient passer in school history. He also possesses the 2nd highest TD-pass ration and is No. 1 in TD-INT ratio.

• Marshall finished his career with 102 pass plays of 15-yards or more and 69 runs of 10-yards or more.

• Marshall has 52 career pass-plays of 25-yards or more and 19 runs of 20-yards or more.

• From 1992-2014 Auburn faced a total of 190 ranked opponents. During that time span, Nick Marshall holds 6 of the top-15 highest passer ratings, appearing in the top-15 more than any other Auburn quarterback.

• From 1992-2014 Auburn faced 85 FBS opponents that finished the season, winning at least 70 percent of their games. Nick Marshall holds 4 of the top-15 passing performances, tied with Jason Campbell for having the most appearances on this top-15 list.

• Looking at 2-year starters or more, Nick Marshall is Auburn's most efficient-passer in conference play. His 148.4 rating just beat out Jason Campbell's 147.9 rating.

• Nick Marshall's 14.5 yards per completion was the highest average among Auburn quarterbacks that started at least 2 seasons. His 8.47 yards per attempt was 2nd best among Auburn QB's that started at least 2 seasons.

• Nick Marshall was No. 9 nationally in producing pass-plays of 25-yards or more and No. 13 in pass-plays of 15-yards or more.

• When Nick Marshall was signed out of Junior College, the concern about Marshall was his high number of interceptions thrown. Marshall finished No. 3 in school history in interception ratio, throwing a pick every 40.9 pass attempts.

As gifted as Marshall was as an athlete, I thought his strongest attribute was his ability to keep his emotions in check during the game. Watching him on the sideline, you could not tell if Auburn was winning or losing based on Marshall's demeanor. Even after making a bad play, his performance from that point on never collapsed. He was a raw talent, when he arrived on campus but he certainly grew into his role as the starting quarterback. I wish Marshall had made the final pass attempt in overtime against Wisconsin rather than being a receiver on a trick-play.

War Eagle!

Its still puzzles me why CGM didn't put it in Marshall's hands when the game was on the line, because he's so clutch in those situations.

Its still puzzles me why CGM didn't put it in Marshall's hands when the game was on the line, because he's so clutch in those situations.

Was not my favorite play call either. But I'm not a highly paid football coach either. They could have seen something in film while preparing for the game.

Yep, thinking back over my time watching AU football, NM might have been the most versatile QB we've had (Cam perhaps the same or better) but after that, there have been few QBs that could "make" a play with his arm or legs like Nick. Much as I respect the talent of JJ, Nick is going to be very tough to replace.

Thanks Stat! Gonna miss #14. :wareagle:

I wonder if Nick has talked to Coach Pearl about walking on and finishing out the basketball season? He was a baller in that sport also.

Nice to see a thread thats pretty much past due. It became very tiring reading this forum because of all the whining about Gus not playing JJ. NM was an awesome competitor and QB and definitely a nightmare for opposing defenses. He'll be sorely missed.

Wow, did not realize Nick, now is: No. 1 in TD-INT ratio in Auburn history.

Possibly the most impressive stat of all!

Nice to see a thread thats pretty much past due. It became very tiring reading this forum because of all the whining about Gus not playing JJ. NM was an awesome competitor and QB and definitely a nightmare for opposing defenses. He'll be sorely missed.

Seems that Nick impressed media and outsiders more than many AU fans.

During the IB and Wisky game several pretty reputable sports talking heads were making very positive pronouncements about Nick and the NFL...going to play QB somewhere...maybe not a starter, but good enough to be on some rosters.

Seems that Nick impressed media and outsiders more than many AU fans.

During the IB and Wisky game several pretty reputable sports talking heads were making very positive pronouncements about Nick and the NFL...going to play QB somewhere...maybe not a starter, but good enough to be on some rosters.

I think that's mainly due to the pure athleticism the guy has. You know a guy is fast when he just seems to glide across the TV effortlessly beating opponents.

If he could've done the first half of the season like the second half (although you have to factor in only being allowed 6 passes vs Arky and not being allowed to continue dominating LSU) this could've been a very historical season for him.

It is more about accuracy than anything else. He has to prove he can make the throws like these guys can.

I think his second half of this season went a long way into proving that (outside of the disasters that were the Georgia and Samford games)

He was 13 seconds away from being considered one of the Auburn legends. It was a treat to watch him play.

IMO he's already a legend. People will be comparing his and Cams stats and abilities for many many years.

It is more about accuracy than anything else. He has to prove he can make the throws like these guys can.

I think his second half of this season went a long way into proving that (outside of the disasters that were the Georgia and Samford games)

Long ball yes. Short and intermediate need work.

Long ball yes. Short and intermediate need work.

I feel he'll be drafted as a QB but might be used in a different position. If he was to be an athlete and QB, there's teams that could utilize him (like Philly)

You guys remember when we were in a dog fight with miss state last year, nick rolled out and threw a pass that got batted back down into his hands and he ran the thing for a big gain and a huge first down? Ahh the good times

You guys remember when we were in a dog fight with miss state last year, nick rolled out and threw a pass that got batted back down into his hands and he ran the thing for a big gain and a huge first down? Ahh the good times

I believe it was the same play call that tied up the Iron Bowl.

Did he get invited to the Senior Bowl? I'm watching the college football all star game on NBC, & wondering how some of these guys were selected if Marshalll wasn't. He has the resume & stats. Just really bothers me, & don't understand how these all star games (senior bowl) can invite some of these quarterbacks, when Marshall is available. He has no support, media love, etc. He deserves a chance to showcase his QB skills in one of these games.

Archived