What we need to learn this off season

Dual-Threat Rigby

Is how to re-win close games...somewhere along the Mississippi State game, this team got punched so hard that it just forgot how to win these games that they were so accustomed to in the previous season. Now obviously there is space for lapses like the FSU game, you're not gonna win every close one. But for a team that produced Georgia miracles and kick sixes, they shouldn't have totally lost the will to fight when its 20-28 or 41-38, yet they did. You can write that up to leadership graduation, not the same talent level, teams having more films, or Auburn just choking in the clutch, but regardless, figuring this kink out and making all three phases of the game work together again is what is gonna get us back to championship play more than anything

I don't think it was the MSU game. I think it was the A&M game. We were on the way to winning that game, and then we had those two terrible miscues. If we come back and win that game, I think the UGA game is close - I think that game was entirely due to hangover.

I don't think it was the MSU game. I think it was the A&M game. We were on the way to winning that game, and then we had those two terrible miscues. If we come back and win that game, I think the UGA game is close - I think that game was entirely due to hangover.

That is more upsetting than anything. Gus should get these guys ready week to week. There should never be hangover between gamea.

That is more upsetting than anything. Gus should get these guys ready week to week. There should never be hangover between gamea.

Well as a coach you can only do so much. Sometimes the players just don't have it in them for whatever reason. You can't go out there and do it for them. Now, that having been said, I don't know if the coaches had a hangover or not. If they did, that is the disturbing aspect.

What this team needs to learn, more than anything, HOW TO TACKLE!!! They need a group of defensive tackles not named Adams (who is already capable) to step up, get tough and get some push against opposing offensive lines. They need a group of defensive ends not named Lawson (who is already capable) to step up and get some pressure off the edge. The need a group of linebackers to learn how to fill holes and not overrun the play. They need a group of defensive backs to learn basic coverage skills and how to wrap up rather than diving at ball carriers legs. They need to learn to quit making stupid mistakes like hitting people 5 yards out of bounds and drawing penalties that extend drives. They need to learn to get off the field on third down. Basically, the need to start over and learn to play DEFENSE!!!

What this team needs to learn, more than anything, HOW TO TACKLE!!! They need a group of defensive tackles not named Adams (who is already capable) to step up, get tough and get some push against opposing offensive lines. They need a group of defensive ends not named Lawson (who is already capable) to step up and get some pressure off the edge. The need a group of linebackers to learn how to fill holes and not overrun the play. They need a group of defensive backs to learn basic coverage skills and how to wrap up rather than diving at ball carriers legs. They need to learn to quit making stupid mistakes like hitting people 5 yards out of bounds and drawing penalties that extend drives. They need to learn to get off the field on third down. Basically, the need to start over and learn to play DEFENSE!!!

I think that will be taken care of. WM will get these guys turned around or they won't be on the field. I know the penalties will be taken care of.

You don't win close games if you make stupid penalties that extend drives. All the late hits killed us.

That is more upsetting than anything. Gus should get these guys ready week to week. There should never be hangover between games.

While that is true on getting ready for the next week, that loss happened to be a double whammy. Not only in the way we lost it, but the loss also put us out of the playoffs. That in turn eliminated any realistic possibility of achieving the goal of this team, set in the off season, of getting back to the championship game. So it was much bigger than a loss of a just 1 game. I don't think the effect that might and did have was understood to the fullest extent at the time.

That is more upsetting than anything. Gus should get these guys ready week to week. There should never be hangover between games.

While that is true on getting ready for the next week, that loss happened to be a double whammy. Not only in the way we lost it, but the loss also put us out of the playoffs. That in turn eliminated any realistic possibility of achieving the goal of this team, set in the off season, of getting back to the championship game. So it was much bigger than a loss of a just 1 game. I don't think the effect that might and did have was understood to the fullest extent at the time.

Agreed with IronMan70.

I'll never accept a team that can't tackle, or doesn't know the plays, or has widespread discipline issues. But sometimes emotional exhaustion sets in and the coaches aren't able to pull off a motivational miracle (especially when one part of the team constantly has to carry the other's weight). It happens at every level.

You don't win close games if you make stupid penalties that extend drives. All the late hits killed us.

Yup. That mixed with not being able to stop 3rd and long, or on 4ths. Spurrier made our D look silly getting all those 4th and whatevers.

Read an article today where Kris Frost said 1 of the biggest challenges to getting better on defense is "preparation," knowing where to line up pre-snap, knowing assignments, etc. I just don't get it! How do you get late into a season & not know where to line up, what your assignment is, etc.? How does that happen? Sheesh!

Read an article today where Kris Frost said 1 of the biggest challenges to getting better on defense is "preparation," knowing where to line up pre-snap, knowing assignments, etc. I just don't get it! How do you get late into a season & not know where to line up, what your assignment is, etc.? How does that happen? Sheesh!

Well, the men responsible for teaching them were fired, sooo...

In year 2 no less.

Archived