Post Game observations

AU64

AU shot foul shots like about every AU basketball team in the past 15 years. Really hard to understand why.

Good hustle throughout the game.

"Matador" defense in the first half made Vandy's offense look better than it was. Second half AU defense was much more serious and kept the cold shooting Tigers in the game and gave them a chance to win.

JMO but AU will be competitive against about every SEC team with the current hustle and defensive effort

from al.com

It was a game we could have had. You can't play that poorly in the first half and expect to win on the road." -- Auburn' Bruce Pearl

"Cinmeon doesn't contest at the rim, he doesn't challenge shots, doesn't take charges, doesn't make hard fouls... and we can't get him to. So what should I do, play Trayvon (Reed)? Trayvon's not ready. I don't see it necessarily changing. Cinmeon's terrifically coachable, but I can't get him to guard the rim. He did it against Middle Tennessee and Xavier, but doesn't want to get into foul trouble and that's part of the issue." -- Pearl

Anyone going yelp about Pearl's comments like they used to when Barbee was "critical" of his players?

Bruce being honest and he's right too. Gradual improvement and the ship is definitely headed in the right direction which is better than what we could say in the past.

Pearl is right. We are in a pickle of sorts and I can understand Bowers thought process but he needs to play angry and let the chips fall where they may.

Both Bowers and the coach are right. He needs to be more aggressive on the defensive end but he is our only post player if he gets into foul trouble we are in big trouble unless Reed develops or somebody else can find an inside game. It is a catch 22.

If they could just shoot a foul shot they would have been in it at the end. I just don't understand how a team could be that bad from the free throw line.

If they could just shoot a foul shot they would have been in it at the end. I just don't understand how a team could be that bad from the free throw line.

Seems be to an Auburn "thing"...we've been near the bottom of the SEC forever in FT %. We know the coaches are aware of that and probably ride the guys unmercifully about poor FT shooting but nothing changes much and who could count high enough to tally the number of games lost in the last dozen years because of poor foul shooting?

BUT....good defense will keep us in most games I think....and the guys won't shoot 30% from the field all season.

For as good as Bowers can be, everything Pearl said about him makes him sooo frustrating to watch.

Such is life with a 6'7 big man with limited jumping ability, though.

There were long stretches of the first half when Bowers was MIA. We are in bad shape without him out there so Pearl can't just sit the guy. It's one of them-there situations!

Tough game to watch. The first half was abysmal. In the second half the D was phenomenal but we couldn't make a friggin' bucket. I think we had 2 stretches where we turned them over 4-5 times in a row. One of those stretches I believe we scored exactly zero points off the turnovers. CBP gonna be earnin' that paycheck

Cinmeon, when he turns it on, is an animal. He plays weak for fear of fouls. I believe this is because his size and stature lead refs to call fouls on him unnecessarily. It would be tough to not get frustrated when you get fouled every time you get the ball and hardly ever get the call yet get called for even looking like any attempt a defense was made on the other end. Tough challenge for Cinmeon. I expect he is up to the challenge. He just needs a little more consistent help on the offensive side of things. Heck, As of about a week ago I think he was one of 4 players in the country averaging a double double. That says all I need to know. I say we keep him ;)

Cinmeon, when he turns it on, is an animal. He plays weak for fear of fouls. I believe this is because his size and stature lead refs to call fouls on him unnecessarily. It would be tough to not get frustrated when you get fouled every time you get the ball and hardly ever get the call yet get called for even looking like any attempt a defense was made on the other end. Tough challenge for Cinmeon. I expect he is up to the challenge. He just needs a little more consistent help on the offensive side of things. Heck, As of about a week ago I think he was one of 4 players in the country averaging a double double. That says all I need to know. I say we keep him ;)/>

WE definitely need him.

He's not particularly graceful and I guess he is caught between the coaches admonitions to "rebound more aggressively" and "don't foul out"....still trying to find the midpoint in those sometimes conflicting instructions.

He's got to play under control better as well. Goes flying at the rim slinging up a prayer way too much. I don't see him as much of a shot blocker but taking a few charges would be good. It would help Bowers a lot though if we could play him at PF which is his natural position. Hopefully next year we'll be able to.

auburns suck free throw shooting is getting old. Pearl should forbid anyone on the team from practicing a free throw for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. it cant get much worse.

He's got to play under control better as well. Goes flying at the rim slinging up a prayer way too much. I don't see him as much of a shot blocker but taking a few charges would be good. It would help Bowers a lot though if we could play him at PF which is his natural position. Hopefully next year we'll be able to.

It's extremely critical for undersized bigs to be some sort of defensive threat and if there's no shot-blocking/leaping threat the offense has to be aware of Bowers NEEDS to at least make drivers think twice about getting into the lane by way of taking a charge every now and then. Otherwise he's just a rebounder/fouler on the defensive side of the ball.

I wish we would get Cinmeon and Trayvon on the floor at the same time.

Won't happen until Trayvon gets stronger and more polished both offensively and defensively. During season Basketball players don't do that mush weight work so that will probably not happen till next year on strength. The polish can be applied this year with teaching during practice and games which I am sure coach Pearl is doing. May see more of Trayvon as season goes and he improves due to coaches teaching.

Should we go with the granny shot technique?

i dont know about technique but i know i am 42 havent played organized since middle school except for pickup tournaments 20 years ago. i know i could shoot 65-70% from the line RIGHT NOW. i just am amazed that auburn has been so bad at free throws going on it's 4th coach.

So assuming a 9-9 sec schedule, does a 17-14 get Auburn in a CIT/NIT situation? I don't know if I was being sunshine pumper or doom and gloom with that sec hypothetical, but the team is bipolar at times. I know the CIT is laughed at around the nation (for those who even remember it exists), but even a consolation postseason tourney could help the young guys develop an NCAA tourney mentality

So assuming a 9-9 sec schedule, does a 17-14 get Auburn in a CIT/NIT situation? I don't know if I was being sunshine pumper or doom and gloom with that sec hypothetical, but the team is bipolar at times. I know the CIT is laughed at around the nation (for those who even remember it exists), but even a consolation postseason tourney could help the young guys develop an NCAA tourney mentality

I think we stand a good chance of post season play if we go .500 in the league. Bruce's name recognition probably helps too. Not too many rock star type coaches in those tourneys. Couldn't hurt anyway.

I think we stand a good chance of post season play if we go .500 in the league. Bruce's name recognition probably helps too. Not too many rock star type coaches in those tourneys. Couldn't hurt anyway.

was gonna say the same thing!!

We need to play our big guy. Strength may be the most overrated attribute in basketball. You can be very effective and not be that strong. I'm sure Bowers could do a better job but the fact is if he doesn't have long arms or explosive leaping ability he won't be a shot blocker....period

Archived