bama signing Jonathan Taylor

McLoofus

I'm so freaking glad it's them and not us.

Alabama officially says former Georgia DL Jonathan Taylor is one of its early enrollees. Dismissed from UGa after domestic violence charge.

@CecilHurt

Alabama issued a statement on the signing of Taylor. This comes from University spokesperson Deborah Lane.

Taylor was dismissed from Georgia after a charge of felony aggravated assault and family violence last July. He also was charged with theft by deception for double-cashing meal reimbursement checks earlier this spring.

Taylor, a 6-foot-4, 350-pound nose tackle, played his sophomore season at Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Mississippi.

"Jonathan Taylor was admitted to The University of Alabama following the same procedures that the UA Admissions office uses to evaluate any student who has dealt with legal issues. The admissions process includes representatives from academic, legal, student affairs, student conduct, UAPD and counseling. Athletics is not involved in the admissions process. Taylor's continued enrollment depends on his ability to fulfill all requirements the University has specifically mandated for him during his time as a UA student."

AL.com is attempting to reach head coach Nick Saban for comment.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/01/alabama_issues_statement_on_si.html

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Headline 1.) "Auburn reportedly recruiting defensive tackle dismissed by Georgia over assault and family violence charge."

Headline 2.) "Defensive tackle Johanthan Taylor set to join Alabama Crimson Tide."

Good stuff.

So will Nick have a press conference later today explaining how Taylor has gotten his life turned around and deserves another chance ...and bama is the place for him to learn some personal discipline?

CBS Sports offered more details on his crimes (big shock):

"The 6-foot-5, 340-pound nose tackle spent the 2014 season at Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Mississippi after police alleged, citing evidence and witness accounts, that Taylor choked and repeatedly struck his 5-foot-11, 170-pound girlfriend with a closed fist in a school dorm room. The arrest was Taylor's second of the year, with the Millen, Ga. native one of four Bulldogs charged with theft by deception in March after allegedly attempting to cash stipend checks twice."

My God, can you imagine the outcry had AU signed this guy?? Yes, the Matthews kid broke the law, but his indiscretion was something along the lines of check kiting--which is wrong, believe me--but the Tahd is signing a kid who was charged with physical violence against a woman. On top of that, the Tahd brought back DJ Pettway, one of the infamous 4 who was involved in mugging a male coed at the Crapstone and stealing and using his UA charge card. I wonder what dear old Paul Finebaum has to say about this. I can just hear the double standard BS now...

Wonder if the CRAPSTON REPORT will change their stance......warning TURD PUBLISHING....

http://capstonerepor...nal-past/24229/

Alabama Football News, Commentary, IntheKnow's columns September 23, 2014

SHOCKER: AUBURN PURSUING ANOTHER PLAYER WITH A CRIMINAL PAST

ITK.jpgAuburn University’s football program is at it again. The Tiggers are once again actively pursuing a criminal for their football team.

Thug U. may soon be the new home for Jonathan Taylor, the former Georgia defensive lineman kicked out of the Bulldog program after being arrested and charged with aggravated assault/family violence.

Taylor is in junior college now, and while second chances aren’t anything new in college football, the number of castoffs (if not criminals) finding sanctuary at Auburn is downright humorous.

We all remember Cam Newton who was suspected of stealing a laptop at the University of Florida, only to flee to junior college and emerge wearing orange and blue.

Of course, current Auburn QB Nick Marshall did the same, suspected of stealing from teammates while at Georgia. After a brief stint in JUCO, ta-dah! Tiggers, you gotcha a QB.

One of the latest castoffs was former Georgia defensive back Tray Matthews, charged last spring with “theft by deception.” Matthews accepted an offer to play for Gussy Malzahn, and now wears orange and blue.

The bottom line is, Auburn will go after any criminal they think will help their second tier, hayseed program. And if you could measure the prayers sent up when Jameis Winston was under legal fire…any of the times…you could bet most of them came from our orange and blue clad little brothers. They know the drill.

There’s nothing illegal about the serial practice of going after criminals. It’s just comical how often Auburn does it. And even more comical how delusional their cult, err, fan base is about the wholesomeness of that program.

Auburn has no shame. And come on…it’s just funny.

I actually know Jon Taylor personally. I've hung out a good amount with him, he has family where I lived and I got to know him well. I am not going to defend the story of his criminal actions especially the domestic violence. But please do remember that there is always more to a story than what is reported. I actually talked to him a few times during the process over the phone and he is very disappointed in the his actions and the way that he is being perceived. He's actually a really nice person and very quiet, not a loud mouth or a guy that goes around looking for trouble. People make mistakes especially at a young age. He is a guy with the size and talent to be an immediate starter on any SEC team. I honestly wish that he was coming to AU and not Alabama, but him being from Georgia and going to UGA does not make it easy for him to go to Auburn, his entire family are all UGA fans.

Now who was it that was blasting Gus for even thinking about talking to him, wonder what they will have to say now ? Cue the " He deserves a second chance" line.

Wouldn't this sorta be a 3rd chance? Seems to me UGA gave him a second chance when they didn't kick him off the team the first time he got into trouble. I have absolutely no problem with kids getting second chances, but at what point does it become too much? At what point should a school not give another chance? Let him walk on and try and earn a spot on the team and or a scholarship?

I really have no problem with another chance, as every story has two sides. just tired of AU being bashed for just talking to him, and all you hear are crickets now that he has signed with da tahd. I guess beating up women isn't much of a problem now as it was a couple of months ago. Glad they got it all "cleared" up. SARCASM OFF NOW

He has been charged with a felony. When is the trial? Or has that been "fixed" by the REC?

https://alabama.riva...asp?CID=1722911

I don't see where that says anything about his legal standing. It appears those conditions were given by uat.

He has been charged with a felony. When is the trial? Or has that been "fixed" by the REC?

https://alabama.riva...asp?CID=1722911

I don't see where that says anything about his legal standing. It appears those conditions were given by uat.

I don't want to give out any information regarding the legal standing. Especially on a public message board. But I will say that the charges will not affect him being eligible to play or go out of state. Here maybe this will help a little bit.

Taylor was indicted by an Athens-Clarke County grand jury in November. A bench warrant was issued for his arrest by Athens-Clarke County Superior Court Judge H. Patrick Haggard on Dec. 9, but was later withdrawn.

Taylor's attorney, Kim Stephens of Athens, said he hopes the case will be reintroduced to a grand jury later this month or in February. Under a new Georgia law, which went into effect last year, Taylor was charged with a felony because police believe he choked the woman. Under the old law, Taylor would have been charged with misdemeanor battery, Stephens said.

"There are some technical issues with the indictment, so I would expect the case to be presented to a grand jury again," Stephens said. "My hope is the grand jury would no-bill it with no charges or return it with misdemeanor charges."

When contacted on Wednesday, Athens-Clarke County district attorney Ken Mauldin wouldn't say whether his office would consider reducing Taylor's charges to misdemeanors.

"It would be inappropriate for me to discuss it one way or the other," Mauldin said.

Article found here, http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12133278/jonathan-taylor-formerly-georgia-bulldogs-enrolls-university-alabama

Sorry I'm just not the "You heard it hear first folks!" kind of guy. Especially with the situation involving an actual friend of mine.

My bet if he keeps his nose clean they will attribute to Saban and his style of coaching, Then run some fluff piece about his ability to reach and turn around troubled kids.

My bet if he keeps his nose clean they will attribute to Saban and his style of coaching, Then run some fluff piece about his ability to reach and turn around troubled kids.

Prolly this

So, wondering out loud here. Usually when a young person does pretrial diversion, the charges are normally dropped, cleared or what ever if all the prerequisites are met and normally that means no more issues with the court. Could this new charge cause the diversion to go bye-bye? I admit, It's been 14 years since I worked with the court system in Alabama and I know Georgia can be different but is this something that could be on the table?

ETA - This answers my questions and yes, he now faces both charges. http://www.al.com/sp...yer_jonath.html

Former Georgia defensive lineman Jonathan Taylor, who was announced as a member of the Alabama football team on Wednesday, faces arraignment for multiple charges in the coming months.

Taylor was indicted in November on two felony counts of aggravated assault for a July 22 incident in Athens, Ga. Taylor struck his girlfriend several times with a closed fist and "offensively used his hands to choke her," according to an UGA police report. The incident left the woman with "visible scratches and red marks to her neck and bruises on her arm and leg," according to the police report. The marks were consistent with someone "being choked around the neck," according to UGA police Lt. Eric Dellinger.

RELATED: Jonathan Taylor's attorney expects case to be resolved without felony or misdemeanor convictions

The alleged strangulation is why Taylor faces felony charges of aggravated assault rather than misdemeanor, according to a recent statute passed in Georgia last year. Taylor is expected to be arraigned sometime in the next month, according to Athens-Clarke County district attorney Ken Maudlin. He faces anywhere from three years of probation to 20 years confinement for the felony charges.

Taylor was kicked out of Georgia after the incident and landed at Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Wesson, Miss. The 6-foot-4, 340-pound defensive tackle was announced as one of eight new enrollees on the Alabama football team on Wednesday.

He also still has to deal with a misdemeanor charge of theft by deception for a March incident at Georgia. He was allegedly double-cashing meal-reimbursement checks, along with three other Georgia football players, and was forced to do community service as part of a pretrial intervention program. But because of his felony aggravated assault charges, Taylor was kicked out of the pretrial intervention program and now must face two misdemeanor charges.

Kim Stephens, Taylor's attorney, said he has already waived arraignment on the misdemeanor charges and is hoping to combine the two cases to be resolved together.

Bama's willingness to sign this guy and take the media heat tells me one thing....they need him on their D-line despite the army of 5* players they have signed in the past several years.

Giving up more than 40 points in back to back games much have made an impression on Nick...and if I recall, they don't have a pass rush either.

Bama's willingness to sign this guy and take the media heat tells me one thing....they need him on their D-line despite the army of 5* players they have signed in the past several years.

Giving up more than 40 points in back to back games much have made an impression on Nick...and if I recall, they don't have a pass rush either.

It's a strange thing how, despite all their #1 recruiting classes every year, that they have to take reclamation projects and rejects from other schools. It was Coker last year and now this guy.

Archived