bama signing Jonathan Taylor

McLoofus

Is this the second coming of Courtney Upshaw?

Lord God I hope not - Upshaw was a freaking BEAST on the field.

I hope this kid turns his life around but I hope he is a bust on the football field for uat.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now who was it that was blasting Gus for even thinking about talking to him, wonder what they will have to say now ? Cue the " He deserves a second chance" line.

Wouldn't this sorta be a 3rd chance? Seems to me UGA gave him a second chance when they didn't kick him off the team the first time he got into trouble. I have absolutely no problem with kids getting second chances, but at what point does it become too much? At what point should a school not give another chance? Let him walk on and try and earn a spot on the team and or a scholarship?

I wondered the exact same thing when Nick Marshall has his pre-season trouble with weed...... Worked out ok for Gus and for Nick this season though. Each coach has their own set of standards/rules/and rehabilitation levels for these problem kids I guess?

Now who was it that was blasting Gus for even thinking about talking to him, wonder what they will have to say now ? Cue the " He deserves a second chance" line.

Wouldn't this sorta be a 3rd chance? Seems to me UGA gave him a second chance when they didn't kick him off the team the first time he got into trouble. I have absolutely no problem with kids getting second chances, but at what point does it become too much? At what point should a school not give another chance? Let him walk on and try and earn a spot on the team and or a scholarship?

I wondered the exact same thing when Nick Marshall has his pre-season trouble with weed...... Worked out ok for Gus and for Nick this season though. Each coach has their own set of standards/rules/and rehabilitation levels for these problem kids I guess?

True...but the punishment should usually fit the seriousness of the crime.

Meanwhile, ..let's see what Ole Miss does with their delinquent QB considering how badly they need one this coming season.

Meanwhile, ..let's see what Ole Miss does with their delinquent QB considering how badly they need one this coming season.

At the discretion of the coach - i.e. Marshal had his 3rd strike and missed 1/2 a game - - - - Whitehead had a verbal altercation with a postion coach and missed 4 games.

IMO, Freezer/OleMiss is screwed with their QB

Amen. This isn't youthful indiscretion. This isn't smoking weed. This isn't buying a stolen laptop. This is meaningful physical violence visited upon a helpless victim, and not just one split-second, involuntary backhand, but "choking" and "repeated closed fist hitting". Of a woman half his weight. He may be a good dude 95% of the time, but he has problems that might result in somebody getting badly hurt or worse. And football isn't going to make those problems go away.

At the discretion of the coach - i.e. Marshal had his 3rd strike and missed 1/2 a game - - - - Whitehead had a verbal altercation with a postion coach and missed 4 games.

I'm trying to remember Marshalls three strikes.....I can only think of the theft at Georgia and the weed before the season started.

I'm trying to remember Marshalls three strikes.....I can only think of the theft at Georgia and the weed before the season started.

the tinted window bust in Georgia along with the "I think I smell weed"....probably that?

the tinted window bust in Georgia along with the "I think I smell weed"....probably that?

I think that was the weed incident he was referring to, or was there another one?

I think that was the weed incident he was referring to, or was there another one?

I was kinda making a joke...2 charges on the same incident? Otherwise, I think that was his second transgression and first at AU.

After reading it again, I think Keesler meant Marshall was on his 3rd chance and not 3rd strike.

After reading it again, I think Keesler meant Marshall was on his 3rd chance and not 3rd strike.

OK...but considering that one was almost nothing and the incidents were about 3 or 4 years apart....it's not like he's some serial ....uh, uh, uh,.....well not like the local police are having to cover for him.

My God, can you imagine the outcry had AU signed this guy?? Yes, the Matthews kid broke the law, but his indiscretion was something along the lines of check kiting--which is wrong, believe me--but the Tahd is signing a kid who was charged with physical violence against a woman. On top of that, the Tahd brought back DJ Pettway, one of the infamous 4 who was involved in mugging a male coed at the Crapstone and stealing and using his UA charge card. I wonder what dear old Paul Finebaum has to say about this. I can just hear the double standard BS now...

You called it. Finebaum was stumbling all over himself when asked about it. All he could say was he didn't like it.

CBS Sports offered more details on his crimes (big shock):

"The 6-foot-5, 340-pound nose tackle spent the 2014 season at Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Mississippi after police alleged, citing evidence and witness accounts, that Taylor choked and repeatedly struck his 5-foot-11, 170-pound girlfriend with a closed fist in a school dorm room. The arrest was Taylor's second of the year, with the Millen, Ga. native one of four Bulldogs charged with theft by deception in March after allegedly attempting to cash stipend checks twice."

If those two had a kid, it would be a large one.

Im not a huge fan of player who hit their girlfriends/wives/moms. Domestic violence is a problem and I am not a fan.

agreed. there are a lot of things I'll put up with, and domestic abuse is not one of them.

My God, can you imagine the outcry had AU signed this guy?? Yes, the Matthews kid broke the law, but his indiscretion was something along the lines of check kiting--which is wrong, believe me--but the Tahd is signing a kid who was charged with physical violence against a woman. On top of that, the Tahd brought back DJ Pettway, one of the infamous 4 who was involved in mugging a male coed at the Crapstone and stealing and using his UA charge card. I wonder what dear old Paul Finebaum has to say about this. I can just hear the double standard BS now...

You called it. Finebaum was stumbling all over himself when asked about it. All he could say was he didn't like it.

Did he? I tried to catch it but I missed it. I was very curious how he would react to it myself.

Did he? I tried to catch it but I missed it. I was very curious how he would react to it myself.

It was extremely brief. All he wanted to talk about today was Danny Sheridans comments about Urban Meyer.

Bama getting a lot of negative press on this...more than they've ever gotten over anything in quite a long time.

Domestic violence is a high profile issue at all levels of football and IMO, Saban has to be totally tone-deaf of very desperate to bring this guy to his campus. A little chink is his armor....do you think?

Bama getting a lot of negative press on this...more than they've ever gotten over anything in quite a long time.

Domestic violence is a high profile issue at all levels of football and IMO, Saban has to be totally tone-deaf of very desperate to bring this guy to his campus. A little chink is his armor....do you think?

I think he believes he can do anything and get away with it. He has for a long time but eventually that kind of arrogance will catch up to you and cause you to do something that just won't be passed over.

I think he believes he can do anything and get away with it. He has for a long time but eventually that kind of arrogance will catch up to you and cause you to do something that just won't be passed over.

Yup. The kind of blind worship they've bathed his already-giant ego in for the last 8+ years kinda washes away a lot of the connection with reality.

Well we all know that uat is benevolent regarding giving people a second chance...I mean they care about each and every one of them and sincerely believe that they can rehabilitate them. Just ask DJ Pettway...

Of course SOBan will tell you that he is concerned for the kid...wants to see him get an education...turn his life around...its all about the kid's welfare. AND, has absolutely nothing to do with their ability to play football (heard something like this from Jay Barker yesterday on the radio).

What a crock! If they cared about these troubled kids that much and it is only about their well being and future when they sign them, then where is Brent Calloway and the other two that SOBan ditched? He brought Pettway back, why...because he can help him win a championship! The same is true with J Taylor...SOBan needs a run stopper in the middle to make his 3-4 defense work. PRESTO!!! It has absolutely nothing to do with trying to "turn the kid around".

Don't ever be fooled by these fools at uat! I'm certainly not...

I talked with a uat booster today. He is actually a graduate, law school graduate and a pretty decent (as far as bammers go) guy and football fan. He is not at all thrilled with this move by lil nicki. He said quite a few of his buddies felt the same way. He was actually shocked that Bill Battle went along with it. He thinks that since the kid was already on pretrial diversion and removed from the diversion program after his July arrest that there will be a court trial, probable conviction and possible prison time. If this happens he will be suspended from school and football. He does not think the kid will see a football field for a game.

UAT will probably be #1 in recruiting again this year. They have been for three yrs now and are loaded with talent. I don't understand why they did this because it's not like they are in desperate need. Not a good move but then, they will just continue to win and suffer no consequences

Archived