Chemistry wasn't there

Randman5000

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally someone says what everyone thought happened to this years team.

It was evident that there was an issue amongst the team surrounding the incident.

Mincy being a leader is what shocked me most in the article to be honest. and it made me smh

It was evident that there was an issue amongst the team surrounding the incident.

Mincy being a leader is what shocked me most in the article to be honest. and it made me smh

About the last person who deserved to be in that role.

I think we all knew the chemistry wasn't there and quite frankly I believe NM's and Mincy's issues during the summer started the "lack of chemistry" ball rolling. Regarding the Whitehead incident, IMO, Gus made a mistake by allowing Whitehead to return at all. If the altercation with Harbison was serious enough that a 4 game suspension was warranted then Gus should have kicked him off of the team. The players have to know who the bosses are and insubordination should be automatic dismissal. Again, this is only my opinion and I still support Gus, but I think he could have handled this situation a lot better. What is obvious is that the situation played a role in our collapse down the stretch.

wde

I think we all knew the chemistry wasn't there and quite frankly I believe NM's and Mincy's issues during the summer started the "lack of chemistry" ball rolling. Regarding the Whitehead incident, IMO, Gus made a mistake by allowing Whitehead to return at all. If the altercation with Harbison was serious enough that a 4 game suspension was warranted then Gus should have kicked him off of the team. The players have to know who the bosses are and insubordination should be automatic dismissal. Again, this is only my opinion and I still support Gus, but I think he could have handled this situation a lot better. What is obvious is that the situation played a role in our collapse down the stretch.

wde

I agree with this. It started snowballing before the season even began. It definitely started the season on a shaky note, similar to the issues prior to the 2012 season, which was an entirely different animal, admittedly. Major red flag --> 3 guys in their final years of eligibility were making really dumb decisions.

wde

I agree with this. It started snowballing before the season even began. It definitely started the season on a shaky note, similar to the issues prior to the 2012 season, which was an entirely different animal, admittedly. Major red flag --> 3 guys in their final years of eligibility were making really dumb decisions.

Well, hopefully the new crop of upperclassmen/seniors will have better character and leadership skills.

wde

Well, hopefully the new crop of upperclassmen/seniors will have better character and leadership skills.

Some challenges here for the coaching staff if you think about some of the baggage a few guys brought with them to AU.

These guys need to get it in their heads they are all on the same TEAM and what is bad for one of them is bad for ALL of them. I'm not sure why they can't grasp that.

The results sure show on the field.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like all the guys that turned down the NFL (even to those that go late round/undrafted free agent, that's still a relative good deal of money, not to mention Duke who could've been a first/second-rounder) are showing a sense of urgency for next year's team. I like it. :)

What I don't understand about this is how our defense was the strongest during Whitehead's suspension. He comes back against USCe (even if just for special teams) and our defense all of a sudden crumbles. If he was such a vital part of the team, you'd have thought the defense would've been better when he came back. Maybe he should've just been straight up kicked off he team.

Bad chemistry is a poor excuse for poor play and coaching. What about bad biology? It's a new day ,time to move on!

Poor play calling is one thing. But chemistry, or lack thereof, certainly has a part in poor play. Anybody that has been on a team, whether sports or business, can attest to this. It's much harder to reach the potential when there are chemistry issues within a team.

I'd say poor chemistry is more of a 'reason' than an 'excuse'.

IMO this is similar to what happened 2012, the part where the younger guys felt like they were the ones that are next. It's hard on a team when you have alot of the younger guys are more talented than the older.

wde

The altercation with Harbinson wasn't serious enough to warrant a 4 game suspension. Coach Malzahn basically took what would usually be a half game suspension (with other coaches) and suspended him indefinitely. If you want the whole story, he was basically kicked off the team there for a little bit. He had to move out of the dorms, find his own way back to the scout team, and do a bunch of other things that wasn't discussed publicly.

I'm not sure you get it but winning football games isn't the first priority for Gus. It's creating Auburn men. He handled the Whitehead suspension as best as anyone could ask for in their head coach if you ask me.

wde

The altercation with Harbinson wasn't serious enough to warrant a 4 game suspension. Coach Malzahn basically took what would usually be a half game suspension (with other coaches) and suspended him indefinitely. If you want the whole story, he was basically kicked off the team there for a little bit. He had to move out of the dorms, find his own way back to the scout team, and do a bunch of other things that wasn't discussed publicly.

I'm not sure you get it but winning football games isn't the first priority for Gus. It's creating Auburn men. He handled the Whitehead suspension as best as anyone could ask for in their head coach if you ask me.

I'm not sure if I agree with this. Gus wouldn't take on so many guys with baggage if winning wasn't his priority. Dyer, Duke, NM, Mincy, Bessent all are just examples (although each case different -- between red flags and not punishing) of how character doesn't hold as much importance as talent. It's just my opinion. Duke's juco coaches weren't even sure if he would come back to school after going back to LA for a funeral because they thought whenever he went back to his hometown he might retaliate and kill somebody (AL.com article mentioned this). Like, what the eff? In fact, I think whatever Whitehead did was really bad to have warranted the punishment he did because Gus doesn't really harshly punish his players. What he said to the coach must've been really bad to warrant that type of suspension. Rumors, (yeah yeah i know) were that many members of the team didn't believe Whitehead should still be on the team. NM even said he didn't have any punishment other than his half-game suspension (which was a vague punishment to begin with). He didn't even run stadium steps. Not a good sign IMO.

It really irritates me that guys who are on full scholarship, who should be giving their best each and every week for the team and Auburn, will allow Mickey Mouse stuff like this to interfere. It is disloyal, disrespectful and the epitome of selfish behavior imho. I mean, if you don't want to give your best for Auburn and your team then dammit, just turn in your scholarship. They owe Auburn and their team much more than this.

It is also the difference between a successful, first class team and an amateurish team. The former keeps it's focus on what is important and the latter doesn't. One would hope this next Senior class can demonstrate the type of leadership it should, both during the season AND in the off season.

wde

Gus' first priority is winning football games. That is why he has recruited very talented players that were kicked off of other teams. That is why he fired CEJ immediately after the spuat game and spent 1.5 million dollars on a DC. That is what he was hired to do as Head Football Coach. Not every football player at AU is meant to become an AU man. Some don't deserve to be by their own actions.

wde

wde

Some challenges here for the coaching staff if you think about some of the baggage a few guys brought with them to AU.

This is true.

wde

wde

This is true.

wde

Rumor mill also had it that Harbison was instigating the incident and the team took it to Johnson who dismissed their case.

But it would still seem that a chemistry issue was the case.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like all the guys that turned down the NFL (even to those that go late round/undrafted free agent, that's still a relative good deal of money, not to mention Duke who could've been a first/second-rounder) are showing a sense of urgency for next year's team. I like it. :)

This post was a much-needed needle in a haystack of self-righteous indignity. :thumbsup:

It really irritates me that guys who are on full scholarship, who should be giving their best each and every week for the team and Auburn, will allow Mickey Mouse stuff like this to interfere. If you don't want to give your best for Auburn and the team then dammit, turn in your scholarship. It is disloyal, disrespectful and the epitome of selfish behavior. They owe Auburn and their team much more than this.

It is also the difference between a successful, first class team and an amateurish team. The former keeps it's focus on what is important and the latter doesn't. One would hope this next Senior class can demonstrate the type of leadership it should, both during the season AND in the off season.

I think Kris and Cass will be leaders of this team next year. I am reminded of Frost at the Ole Miss game getting into the guys about tthe elimination factor and then making a game saving tackle and Mckinzy jumping on the loose ball.

Chemistry is a delicate issue...you have kids completing for positions and yet they are a team too and have to root for each other. If a coach is perceived as being unfair, the effect can be hard to turn around. Unfortunately the two "leaders" of the defense had discipline problems along with people being shuffled around and guess there was no one to pull them all together.

Archived