How many open spots remain for AU?

AU64

Seems like Arden Key and a good sized number of other kids are waiting until the last minute to make their decisions and have AU on their short lists.

We seem to have 13 committed but not signed and a handful that have signed their LOI and I guess count against last year.

So it appears we have about 10 or 12 more spots available but I don't see that many kids still in the running on this board...

What does the scoreboard really look like? And will we fill all our available spots?

We will take 6-7

Considering how many we lose this year that does not seem like enough to fill the coming vacancies. I see bama with 25 already and UTk with 28.

Any idea how many we will have on scholarship come August?

We will take 6-7

Considering how many we lose this year that does not seem like enough to fill the coming vacancies. I see bama with 25 already and UTk with 28.

Truly, we have 8 open slots.

We can sign a total of 28 in this class. That will not change.

We currently have 20 commitments. If we lose any, that will add that many spots to the 8 currently available. Otherwise, 8 is the number.

Roster changes at this point won't affect how many we can take.

mattarcara's number of 6-7 that we would actually take very well could be correct. Sometimes you don't fill every spot because you think you might be able to backfill those spots the following year with early enrollees of superior quality to what is available now. Or for other reasons.

We will take 6-7

We currently have 20 commitments. If we lose any, that will add that many spots to the 8 currently available. Otherwise, 8 is the number.

mattarcara's number of 6-7 that we would actually take very well could be correct. Sometimes you don't fill every spot because you think you might be able to backfill those spots the following year with early enrollees of superior quality to what is available now. Or for other reasons.

And FWIW Ian Shannon is a grey shirt, so that allows a little extra flexibility.

We will take 6-7

according to Rivals we have 13 unsigned commitments and 7 signed....was not sure if the EE players were 2014 or 2015?

Sounds like they all must be part of the 2015 class.

We will take 6-7

according to Rivals we have 13 unsigned commitments and 7 signed....was not sure if the EE players were 2014 or 2015?

Sounds like they all must be part of the 2015 class.

Three of the EE guys counted back on the 2014 class. That's why our total annual limit this year is 28 instead of 25. We have 7 enrolled plus 13 committed, equaling 20. Thus there is room for eight more signees. If dreams come true and that many of these hotshots that are talking AU up actually sign we could well fill all 28 slots. More likely we'll be able to add five or six more and hold the remaining two or three back for next year.

With all due respect these statements are incorrect. We have 4 open spots to count back to last year because only 21 of last year's class counted to last year so the number starts at 29. Whether they count to this class or the last class Trey Matthews and Golson count against that 29. Therefore we have 27 spots left in this class. If Ian waits til Jan 2016 as planned then we will have 8 spots left but as of now we have 7.

Roster changes will effect how many we can take in the end. After factoring in Seniors graduating, Sammy leaving, and Golson going on scholly there will be 65 on scholly. At no time can a football team go over 85 scholarship football players. To bring in the full 27, 7 more attritions has to occur

Three of the EE guys counted back on the 2014 class. That's why our total annual limit this year is 28

It's 4 Mikey. Remember we signed 24 last year and 3 of them counted to 2013 as you said all along last year while I was being wishy washy. Also remember transfers coming in on scholly or get a scholly before they have been to there school for2 year must be counting to a 25 limit in the semester they go on scholly.

A combination of 4 coming from the pool of EEs plus Trey and Austin will count back to 2014 class.

Let's say it is 7.

1- Burt

2- Holland

3- Cowert

4- Key

5- Beckner Jr

6- Davis

7- Thompson

Could that even be possible?

Don't we really need another cb this time?

Doesn't matter how many. We'll make room.

I agree. Just stating the fact more roster move have to be made to bring in the max of 27.

Thanks for the discussion E and M. The first couple responses sounded "open and shut"... take 8 and that's that....but seemed a bit simplistic to me.

As pointed out by Mikey and E....there seems to be some sleight of hand with some of these EE guys ...figuring which year to count them in, etc.

All in all....considering how wishy-washy some of our prospects are, if we could fill 6 slots that would be a coup...but then we have to worry about going over 85?

OK...just let me know when it's done.

Three of the EE guys counted back on the 2014 class. That's why our total annual limit this year is 28

It's 4 Mikey. Remember we signed 24 last year and 3 of them counted to 2013 as you said all along last year while I was being wishy washy. Also remember transfers coming in on scholly or get a scholly before they have been to there school for2 year must be counting to a 25 limit in the semester they go on scholly.

"With all due respect", the numbers we all agreed on last year were before Matthews came on board. Matthews has already been signed and he counted against 2014 back then when he signed. That brought 2014 up to 22. So, three of our current EE guys counted back. You may or may not have a point about Golson, I'll have to think about that a bit.

So, if Golson doesn't figure in we have eight slots and if he's going to count against the 2015 class we have seven. Then there's the status of the punter. So, if the punter is flexible we can have eight no matter what Golson does.

Eight is the number of slots we have left. Whether we can get the quality of players we would like to have to fill eight slots is another matter. If not, we'll sign the punter this year and save a couple of slots for next year.

The answer to AU64's OP question is eight.

Thanks for the discussion E and M. The first couple responses sounded "open and shut"... take 8 and that's that....but seemed a bit simplistic to me.

As pointed out by Mikey and E....there seems to be some sleight of hand with some of these EE guys ...figuring which year to count them in, etc.

All in all....considering how wishy-washy some of our prospects are, if we could fill 6 slots that would be a coup...but then we have to worry about going over 85?

OK...just let me know when it's done.

The EE question is simple when you think about it, no sleight of hand at all. You can "count back" EE guys up to the number undersigned last year. After adding Trey Matthews we undersigned by three last year, so three of our EE guys this year count back.

Eight is the number of slots we have left. Whether we can get the quality of players we would like to have to fill eight slots is another matter. If not, we'll sign the punter this year and save a couple of slots for next year.

The answer to AU64's OP question is eight.

It's not that clearly defined yet. If Shannon enrolls before next January. there is 7 spots left. Phillip Marshall reported last week that Golson is in fact on scholly. If true then I promise you without a shadow of a doubt 100% that Goilson counts to either the '14 or "15 class. Remember Corey Grant a couple of years ago? He only walked on for one year and when he went on scholly he had to count against a 25 limit, for 2012 I think it was. Golson the same sitch. he counts against a 25 limit when he starts on scholly.

To simplify all that. Here's the bottom line to the OP. If Shannon does not enroll til January 2016 we will have 8 spots. If he starts class in May, June, or August we have 7 spots left. No ifs, ands, or butts about it.

Archived