Interesting Note On Championship Game Practice

Texan4Auburn

Because Ohio State's spring semester doesn't start until Monday, the Buckeyes are not required to adhere to the NCAA's 20-hour rule, limiting countable athletic activities to four hours a day and 20 hours a week. Oregon's academic term began this week, so the Ducks cannot exceed 20 hours, according to NCAA rules.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/1/7/7510473/ncaa-wont-let-oregon-practice-as-much-as-ohio-state

Preparation times will not be even due to Oregon being back in school.

Because Ohio State's spring semester doesn't start until Monday, the Buckeyes are not required to adhere to the NCAA's 20-hour rule, limiting countable athletic activities to four hours a day and 20 hours a week. Oregon's academic term began this week, so the Ducks cannot exceed 20 hours, according to NCAA rules.

http://www.sbnation....h-as-ohio-state

Heard on the local radio here in Cbus that an email went out to the OSU students that they can be dropped from classes if they attend the game. Classes start on Monday.

Heard on the local radio here in Cbus that an email went out to the OSU students that they can be dropped from classes if they attend the game. Classes start on Monday.

I think this has happened at other schools, it was a concern somewhere before but cant remember. Think a simple email to the instructor usually handles that problem. Some classes probably won't meet cause the instructor is at the game. Or they will just have a GTA drop off the syllabus.

I think this has happened at other schools, it was a concern somewhere before but cant remember. Think a simple email to the instructor usually handles that problem. Some classes probably won't meet cause the instructor is at the game. Or they will just have a GTA drop off the syllabus.

Didn't they do something at Auburn for the 2011 championship game?

They did I think. You had to email your instructor and present some evidence you went I think. Like a ticket from the game or travel, like you would a medical excuse. I honestly can't remember the full details though.

They did I think. You had to email your instructor and present some evidence you went I think. Like a ticket from the game or travel, like you would a medical excuse. I honestly can't remember the full details though.

Good Lord... When did they start taking roll in college? I don't remember a roll call at either JUCO or AU.

Good Lord... When did they start taking roll in college? I don't remember a roll call at either JUCO or AU.

Usually the first day of class. If you weren't there you were dropped from the class to make room for someone on the waiting list

In juco in Alabama (i assume all college)if you are receiving financial aid and miss the first class you are kicked out.

All kind of attendance policies at AU now. Majority of my recent classes allowed for only one to two unexcused absences.

I don't agree with the policy of attendance. College students are adults. The bottom line is to learn the material, study it, and pass the exams. Whether or not they attend the class is their prerogative. It hinders their ability to earn the highest grades possible but that would be the student's problem to try to figure out.

I believe the only reason you should be dropped from a class is if you did not pay your tuition by a certain time, then kick them out of the class and allow somebody who has paid their tuition to slide into their class spot.

I don't agree with the policy of attendance. College students are adults. The bottom line is to learn the material, study it, and pass the exams. Whether or not they attend the class is their prerogative. It hinders their ability to earn the highest grades possible but that would be the student's problem to try to figure out.

I believe the only reason you should be dropped from a class is if you did not pay your tuition by a certain time, then kick them out of the class and allow somebody who has paid their tuition to slide into their class spot.

Use to think that way. Then got the perspective of a relative that teaches at Auburn that switched from a no attendance policy to one. Their class size is usually 25-32. Some of their reasons:

Double digit waiting list to get into their class. Would rather have someone in their class that is going to show up vs someone that isn't. They will replace students in the first week that do not come.

Students that didn't come to class didn't like the "if you don't have time to come to my class, I don't have time for you in my office hours" policy.

Students that didn't come to class didn't like the fact that those that came to class did get their scores rounded or extensions, while those that didn't did not.

Students that didn't come to class didn't see how disrespectful it was to come to them toward the end of the semester and complain about their grade, ask for a higher grade, and then get mad when told "you should have come to class". As to where if you came to class they were happy to discuss a grade and reevaluate it or consider extra credit.

The results of those things lead to angry evaluations of their class, instruction methods, and abilities by individuals that were not even there. There were also the dealings where students complained to department heads and deans about their grade, claimed bias, or that the instructor hated them and it was personal.

So they put in an attendance policy and details on the syllabus.

Don't show up the first three days without notification. Gone, someone else wants their spot.

I think it is 3 unexcused absences you lose the right to rounding. Five you fail the class. Takes care of those issues and has record of it.

Fix's the office hours complaint. As everyone that comes there will be attending class, those they would not help have already failed via attendance policy.

Now deals only with people with legitimate reason to ask about their grade or for considerations. Those that don't deserve consideration have already Failed on the attendance policy.

So with their attendance policy.... negative evaluations have dropped dramatically, grades in the class as a whole have improved, and grade complaints to dept heads and deans have dropped dramatically.

Putting in an attendance policy made their job easier and more enjoyable and provided protection.

All kind of attendance policies at AU now. Majority of my recent classes allowed for only one to two unexcused absences.

Seriously??? I aced my Physics 3 class, and I skipped class probably 50% of the time, because the teacher just taught the book.

Seriously??? I aced my Physics 3 class, and I skipped class probably 50% of the time, because the teacher just taught the book.

Ya, not all classes have one but many do now. It could also be a departmental thing. Like in the classes I did for a business minor. Both my accounting classes had attendance policies (bout 100 students per class), but me econ classes didn't (one auditorium, one small).. but those were through the same guy. My marketing class didn't have a attendance policy per say..but it had pop quizzes (not James Brown style though lol).

I think the larger auditorium classes still skip the attendance (due to numbers). I had Locke for physics. He did this kind of hybrid attendance thing with the clickers. Think 10% of your grade was off attendance/participation and he would do random quizzes with those. Was one question and if you answered regardless of right or wrong you got credit.

My relative put one in cause it simply made their life easier. from the students that didnt go that didnt ace stuff.

This is something the NCAA needs to look at. Both teams should be required to follow the 20 hours per week rule in this instance.

As for going to classes, pheww!! I'm glad they didn't care back in the mid 70s. I missed quite a few my 2nd and 3rd year. If you showed up on exam day, the teacher or professor was OK. I had a popular football player in one of my classes (I think it was Calculus) and nobody knew he was in our class until two weeks in when he showed up with a piece of paper and a pencil (yep, we used pencils back then) to take an exam. He breezed right through the exam.

This is something the NCAA needs to look at. Both teams should be required to follow the 20 hours per week rule in this instance.

As for going to classes, pheww!! I'm glad they didn't care back in the mid 70s. I missed quite a few my 2nd and 3rd year. If you showed up on exam day, the teacher or professor was OK. I had a popular football player in one of my classes (I think it was Calculus) and nobody knew he was in our class until two weeks in when he showed up with a piece of paper and a pencil (yep, we used pencils back then) to take an exam. He breezed right through the exam.

sounds like the guy in the movie Summer School. He went to the bathroom on the first day and didn't come back until the final test. Always liked that movie.

If I remember correctly in 2011, Auburn excused student absence on the day of the game. You were also excused for a travel day, I think, but you had to show proof. Anything beyond that, you had to arrange with the professors, who were pretty good about it. Of course, the weather cancelled several days of school and it also prevented us from flying home on the day after the game. We were stuck in Arizona (darn!) until Friday. Laura had to convince her professors that she was stuck! lol

I remember taking Physics 1 and doing chapters 3-18 in the book. Spring quarter and baseball season was going, Plainsman Park is right across the street. A D for diploma later (courtesy of the lab), I went JUCO as a transient student for Physics 2. Chapters 8-11 of the same book. BOOM!!!!

Funnest part of that was getting from Metidianville to Calhoun, during rush hour in less than 15 minutes via Cessna 172. Did that nearly every day since I was pumping airplane gas from 0600-1600 and could swipe a rental airplane when I needed it if it wasn't booked.

sounds like the guy in the movie Summer School. He went to the bathroom on the first day and didn't come back until the final test. Always liked that movie.

Lol I love that movie. I actually remembered the other day that the girl on two and half men that plays Lindsy was the surfer girl in Summer School.

I remember taking Physics 1 and doing chapters 3-18 in the book. Spring quarter and baseball season was going, Plainsman Park is right across the street. A D for diploma later (courtesy of the lab), I went JUCO as a transient student for Physics 2. Chapters 8-11 of the same book. BOOM!!!!

Funnest part of that was getting from Metidianville to Calhoun, during rush hour in less than 15 minutes via Cessna 172. Did that nearly every day since I was pumping airplane gas from 0600-1600 and could swipe a rental airplane when I needed it if it wasn't booked.

that is very resourceful.

Archived